What happens to local ERA and licensing after migrating from On-Prem to Cloud

MrWrighty

I have migrated 24 PC's from On-Prem to cloud. I have a number of minor issues but not sure how to fix them. I used the migration policy which worked well. Added the license to the Cloud (35 seats) but I am told that I'm using 35/35 licenses even though only 24 machines are currently activated and showing on cloud. Is the On-Prem ERA counting towards this license count as presumably they both report back to EBA. Liveguard reports the correct number of activations at 24 but 35 is showing against 35 licenses for Eset EndPoint. How do I stop the additional licenses being shown, do I uninstall ERA from the On-Prem server.

• ESET Staff

Hello. The licensing is the same for cloud and on prem. So when you have upgraded your license, it has upgraded it on all active endpoints, regardless if they are connected to the cloud version or on premises version. Even if you uninstall ERA from the on-prem server, but do not remove ESET from those other 11 machines, they will continue being counted.  The best thing would be to login to EBA, deactivate all devices, and reactivate only the ones connected to ESET PROTECT Cloud, using the console activation task. Unless you have some more machines to migrate. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • ESET Staff
On 3/6/2024 at 1:13 AM, MichalJ said:

The best thing would be to login to EBA, deactivate all devices, and reactivate only the ones connected to ESET PROTECT Cloud, using the console activation task. Unless you have some more machines to migrate. 

Just a note, that this will effectively disable protection on those devices. So it is not suitable for just hiding numbers of devices, that do continue t be managed in PROTECT on-prem, using the same shared license.

On 2/27/2024 at 3:39 PM, MrWrighty said:

Is the On-Prem ERA counting towards this license count as presumably they both report back to EBA.

Indeed this is the case - both consoles are sharing the same license, so both of the consoles shows total usage of the license. In other words it is not considering when and how were the seats activated, nor where are those devices actually managed (might be even devices not managed ad all, but still running and being protected by ESET products).