Failed to connect to repository

We have a handful of clients that throw this error when running the agent install/upgrade task.  The error is always:

Downloading installer image 'hxxp://repository.eset.com/v1/com/eset/apps/business/era/agent/v10/10.1.3268.0/agent_macosx_x86_64.dmg

curl: (7) Failed to connect to repository.eset.com port 80 after 35 ms: Couldn't connect to server.

The clients can ping internal and external DNS servers and can ping repository.eset.com and get replies. If I run curl and point to 443, I get a '400 bad request' error, "Plain HTTP request was sent to HTTPS port". So it appears it's making connection attempts as expected but for whatever reason cannot connect to port 80. Possibly the timeout is too short?

Any other hints or suggestions? Seems to be a common occurence.

@Marcos Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, most systems are at remote sites so I can't directly test with a browser.

I can tell you that curl returns the same results:

Using the following command:  curl repository.eset.com/V1/info.meta

I get this result:  curl: (7) Failed to connect to repository.eset.com port 80 after 38 ms: Couldn't connect to server

• Most Valued Members

Either there's a firewall between your clients blocking port 80, or a bad proxy?

Ed

• Administrators

Downloading info.meta in a browser or using wget or curl must work or there is a problem with a firewall or proxy blocking the download as ewong wrote.

10 hours ago, Marcos said:

Downloading info.meta in a browser or using wget or curl must work or there is a problem with a firewall or proxy blocking the download as ewong wrote.

@Marcos I was able to sit at one of the affected workstations. Notable, I could browse to any site except for the repository site you specified above. It was blocked for some reason.

I uninstalled ESET and was then able to browse to the ESET repository site.

Even though we have Web and Email protection entirely disabled, it seems the ESET Web&Email vpn/proxy component continues to throw a wrench in the works.

We have about 90 workstations that are not updating modules, likely due to the ESET proxy component. Which means we also can't upgrade the agent nor the antivirus.

...and all this is a bit odd since we're using the ESET Bridge, so my assumption is that they should be getting module updates and component upgrades from the Bridge and not directly from ESET repository.

• Administrators

By proxy you mean ESET Bridge? When trying to download info.meta with curl do you use the -x or -proxy switch to specify the proxy server settings?

13 minutes ago, Marcos said:

By proxy you mean ESET Bridge?

No, I'm referring to the 'ESET Web&Email' component that gets installed (below). It's always there even though we have Web and Email protection disabled. And it frequently causes network connectivity issues, particularly on new installs and upgrades.

When attempting to download info.meta on one of the affected machines, I copy/pasted the URL you provided above into a browser window and it failed. Because agent upgrades were failing, I tried manually running our installer sh script, however, it also points to the same ESET repository, so failed as well. Once I removed ESET AV, I could access the repsository. No idea why the ESET components would be blocking its own repository.

image.png.fa5afe651cbdcdb50ee381856cf9d755.png