Long scanning time after Laptops falls a sleep ?

I've set my battery options to never fall a sleep, but after about 3 hours of scanning (in depth) laptop goes to sleep, I always have to press something before that time span. Yesterday I managed to wait for 8-9 hours usually takes 7, and the scanned objects were stuck at 1500'ish time - it showed 3 hours didn't move after I checked after couple of hours it showed 5hours, I mean its not counting time, just stuck on certain hour and after a while it changes. I had this the last time I did scan , restarted the pc and made a new scan also didn't show LIVE all the items scanned and timewise but eventually it finished within 7 hours ( hope its normal that it doesnt show live ). I was wondering if I should play a youtube 10 hour video or put some streamer on twitch , but will it affect the scan if a google browser is running  while scanning ? For example on my other laptop also the options are never to sleep and the scan period is longer but it never goes to sleep. 
Going to sleep after scan just messes up everything I feel

• Administrators

Did you launch the scan manually or via Scheduler? If manually, couldn't it be that you set the action after the scan to Shut down?

image.png

Manuel scan , and under action after scan - NO action. The thing is that the laptop falls a sleep even before the scan is done, then I press the power button and it continues, but I feel like while a sleep it doesn't really scan but only time passes . I had once 14 hours or so scanning. I feel like it just messes up the whole scan

2 hours ago, Tio said:

the scanned objects were stuck at 1500'ish time

Other recent postings in the forum have noted similar manual scan behavior in ver. 16.2.15. That is the scan stopping early in the scan. It appears to only affect some Eset installations and the cause has yet to be identified.

In any case, the above is the reason for your laptop entering sleep mode. The Eset scan appears to be entering idle mode. Windows sees no active tasks are running and then initiates normal sleep mode per existing configured power saving settings. Also power saving battery mode only applies to when the laptop is not connected to an electrical outlet.

You might try resetting Windows power & sleep settings to default Balanced values and see if this stops the behavior you are observing.

• Administrators
32 minutes ago, itman said:

In any case, the above is the reason for your laptop entering sleep mode. The Eset scan appears to be entering idle mode.

Even if the scan was idle, the OP wrote that "I've set my battery options to never fall a sleep" so ESET should not cause the machine to enter sleep mode because of inactivity.

1 hour ago, Marcos said:

Even if the scan was idle, the OP wrote that "I've set my battery options to never fall a sleep" so ESET should not cause the machine to enter sleep mode because of inactivity.

This doesn't affect Win power settings if the laptop is plugged in as I posted;

Even though this turns off all power savings while your computer is running on battery, it does not turn off power savings while your computer is plugged in. To do this, right-click the battery icon in the right hand of the Taskbar, and select Power Options.

https://www.lifewire.com/turn-off-power-saving-mode-4706502

5 hours 24 min into the scan only 1454 objects scanned, last time I checked my it was also stuck on microsoft office\root\office16\accwiz.dll

But last time it was also stuck on 1500ish objects, but eventually it finished the scan with the usual amount of scanned objects. As Itman mentioned, about that other had issues with this, does it really stop or just the scanned object doesnt show until later on ? 

image.png

The laptop that usually doesn't go off while scanning , as far as I remember also had like delayed objects scanned showing (as far as I remember im not 100% sure) because it doesn't go to sleep mode and I just leave it until it finishes. But yet again, yesterday when I scanned (the one that turns off) usually takes 7-8 hours to make in depth scan, yesterday went to sleep at 10+ hours so it wasn't done and it was also stuck on 1454, same directory - microsoft office\root\office 16\accwiz.dll

I noticed also with in - depth scan that it seem to be stuck on objects.  So I did some research on my own.  I did a in-depth scan with everything checked and I noticed that seem to freeze or hang up on some files.  So I then decided to just to in-depth scan with operating memory, boot sectors/UEFI, WMI database and C:\ nothing froze or hung on that scan.  Then I did an in-depth scan with just system registry and I notice that it would seem to freeze on files and it took  2 hours to finish.  The other in depth scan just took 50 mins.  

• Administrators

With Smart optimization disabled the scan may take long, I'd say that 2 hours for a complete registry scan is rather expected.

I'd recommend using Smart scan which has Smart optimization enabled.

Yeah I didn't understand anything, what you guys said :D, I suppose its normal and just have to wait a bit longer ? And will it eventually be fixed in the upcoming patches ? 

40 minutes ago, Marcos said:

With Smart optimization disabled the scan may take long, I'd say that 2 hours for a complete registry scan is rather expected.

Hello,

it is definitely the version 16.2.15.0 which is causing problems. Before, my deep scan took 75 minutes, now it takes almost 6 hours.

In previous versions you could at least stop the updates if an update caused problems - this is no longer the case.

10 minutes ago, simplicissimus said:

Hello,

it is definitely the version 16.2.15.0 which is causing problems. Before, my deep scan took 75 minutes, now it takes almost 6 hours.

In previous versions you could at least stop the updates if an update caused problems - this is no longer the case.

Do you also have issues when trying to pause or stop the scan ? like it just doesn't work until 1-2-3 hours ? 

• Administrators
10 minutes ago, simplicissimus said:

Hello,

I've prepared a pack with older modules for you to test. Please carry on as follows:

1, Download the archive oldmodules.zip from https://forum.eset.com/files/file/126-oldmoduleszip/.

2, Extract the archive to a disk.

3 Start Windows in safe mode.

4, Copy the extracted dll files directly to "C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET Security\Modules", e.g. to "C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET Security\Modules\em003_64.dll", etc. Leave the other subfolders intact.

5. Start Windows in normal mode.

6. Run a scan that took long with the original modules.

7. Let us know about your findings whether the scan with the old modules took less time.

8, Start Windows in safe mode and delete the old dll modules.

9. Start Windows in normal mode.

2 hours ago, Purpleroses said:

Then I did an in-depth scan with just system registry and I notice that it would seem to freeze on files and it took  2 hours to finish.

Here's my test results.

Registry scan using Smart scan profile scanned 191 objects took 123 secs.

Registry scan using In-depth scan profile ran 37 mins at which time I terminated it. As previously noted, I couldn't terminate the scan from Eset GUI; it just grayed out the pause and "X" buttons and kept on running. A system restart did stop the scanning. During this time, Eset scanning did spend extended scan time (> 5 mins.) on System32 directory files that didn't make any sense. One file was bi.dll - Background Broker Infrastructure Windows Client Library; a 30 KB file. Another file was ping.exe. One possible explanation for the extended scan times was files were being submitted to Eset cloud servers, but I saw no evidence of that.

Edited by itman

Guys , I do understand that you are Gigachad's on this matter, but for peasants like me , its been over 8 hours still shows 5:24 hours and 1454 scanned objects, I could wait for 1-2 more hours, is it normal thing perhaps for this version or I am having issues, by I am having Issues ( I hope I am not the only one) and what if I put a youtube video or a twitch streamer so I doesn't goes to sleep will it affect the scanning procedure ? 

• Administrators

You can also make another test if you think it's caused by the latest v16.2.15. You can temporarily uninstall it and install v16.0.28 from https://forum.eset.com/files/submit/?do=submit&category=3. It will download update to v16.2, however, it will not install before a reboot so you can run a scan with v16.0 and compare the scan times with v16.2.

How can I make another test if the current one just wont stop scanning ? its been almost 11 freaking hours and it still stuck with 1454 objcets scanned, just saw it 5 hours 24 minutes (must be at least 11 hours), by the looks of its gonna take forever. You never answered my question if I  put a youtube video that last 10 hours or a put streamer using a browser will it affect the scan, since its the only obvious solution I see, Will it affect the scan procedure ?
everytime I press the cursour or something in the laptop with the span of 2 hours it shows some kind of  sound like the  power engagemnt is on, even though the scan continues. 
Its quite late here right , now . Yesterday I waited for this scan to finish waited untill 3 a.m , started from 7ish, thought this is gonna be different , still the same   shows 5ish hours 1454 object scanned , been almost 11 hours , or maybe 12 already , LIke what the is happening ?

40 minutes ago, Tio said:

its been almost 11 freaking hours and it still stuck with 1454 objcets scanned, just saw it 5 hours 24 minutes (must be at least 11 hours), by the looks of its gonna take forever.

I already posted how you stop the scan. First, terminate the scan via Eset GUI option. Note this won't stop the scan. Then restart your PC. After restart, the scan won't be running anymore.

I can wait a day, I want it to show that there are no threats, but as I MENTIONED AGAIN CAN I put a youtube or a twitch , a browser and would it affect the scan ? IN 1 hour and 30 minutes my other laptop its gonna scan for 24 hours ,  have you heared of like this before ?!

I think Tio has the same problem already addressed here https://forum.eset.com/topic/38249-scan-is-not-working-properly/ . Yesterday I tried a deep test on one of the laptops and again the test got stuck (when testing registry key values) at C:\Windows\System32\bi.dll, C:\Windows\System32\mi.dll, C:\Windows\System32\ping.exe etc. When I clicked the cancel test button, the buttons were grayed out and the test continued (on the same bi.dll file), after about 50 minutes I had to restart the computer to end the test. Evidently, the problem persists and the cause has not yet been identified.

• Administrators

When running an in-depth scan, the registry scan scans every file referenced in the registry no matter whether it's whitelisted or not. Since there are typically many referenced to whitelisted files, such scan may take hours or even a day.

You could try temporarily enabling Smart optimization for the in-depth scan and see how big difference it will make when scanning the registry. Also cancelling a scan should not take several minutes but on the other hand it's not immediate either.

I was able to resolve one  issue.

If you perform the In-depth scan as Admin, you can terminate the scan via Eset GUI option. This however did not resolve Eset hanging on select files during the Registry scan phase.