Firewall rules magically disappear

Go to solution Solved by Binabik,

Hi,

In the firewall rules window, every time I select a rule, after a few seconds (up to a minute), it disappears automatically.  Each time a rule is deleted, the rule counter is decremented. If I close the window by clicking on the cancel button and reopen it, the deleted rules are still in the list, but if I close the window by clicking on the accept button (accepting the changes) and reopen the window, the deleted rules are gone forever.

I have tested this on five computers with identical results.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled ESET Smart Security Premium but the problem persists.

Regards.

Windows 10 Pro 64bits 22H2 19045.3448
Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19044.1000.0

Tested in ESET Smart Security Premium  16.2.13.0  & 16.2.15.0

31 minutes ago, Binabik said:

In the firewall rules window, every time I select a rule, after a few seconds (up to a minute), it disappears automatically. 

I can't duplicate this behavior.

32 minutes ago, Binabik said:

If I close the window by clicking on the cancel button and reopen it, the deleted rules are still in the list,

This is expected behavior since you canceled the delete action.

33 minutes ago, Binabik said:

but if I close the window by clicking on the accept button (accepting the changes) and reopen the window, the deleted rules are gone forever.

Again, this is expected behavior since you confirmed the rule delete action.

Hello,

I attach a video. I'm sorry but the mouse cursor is not shown. During the capture I just select the rules and close and open the window. You can see how the rules disappear and reappear when I open the window.

Anyway, I think I have found the root of the problem. I am using the Anyviewer program (https://www.anyviewer.com/), you can see its icon in the system tray. If I disable it, the rules do not disappear. If I enable it again, the problem reappears.

Regards.

• Administrators
53 minutes ago, rotaru said:

So, you just found a "malware" which can affect ESET.....ESET should protect its own rules from deleting by another software.

It's a wrong assumption. You must connect via AnyViewer to a machine, open the firewall rule editor, create some rules and leave the editor open intact without saving the rules before they disappear after some time. This is not a common use scenario. Protection is not affected at all.

2 hours ago, rotaru said:

So, you just found a "malware" which can affect ESET.....ESET should protect its own rules from deleting by another software.

Hello,

AnyViewer not only interferes with ESET Smart Security, but also with other programs. When I edit a file in Visual Studio Code, every minute or so, it automatically opens the file search box. That does not happen when Anyviewer is not running.

I think it is a problem with AnyViewer itself. I have reported the problem to support.

Regards.

1 hour ago, Marcos said:

It's a wrong assumption. You must connect via AnyViewer to a machine, open the firewall rule editor, create some rules and leave the editor open intact without saving the rules before they disappear after some time. This is not a common use scenario. Protection is not affected at all.

Hello,

The problem occurs when AnyViewer is running. There is no need for incoming or outgoing connections.

Regards.

• 3 weeks later...