Error Updating after resuming from sleep mode W8.1

wolliballa
Go to solution Solved by wolliballa,

I wonder whether this issue can be fixed.

Whenever laptop  W8.1-64 is wakening up from sleep mode -not power save- , it turns out that NOD32 has problems with resuming automatic updates. Manual updates work fine, also when laptop is running for longer time automatic updates are processed.
Note: This laptop might be turned on 4-5 times a day to check mails, so maybe just for 15 mins. or so. It has happened that signature files remain 3-4 days old until icon turns red and user recognises that there is something wrong with av protection. Would it help to shorten update interval ? Haven't found yet how to do that.

Can not measure it, as the laptop normally is not online that long, typically only 20-30 minutes to check mails / facebook
Just had it again after about 25 minutes: red exclamation mark in GUI (ipdate error). Manual update OK then....

Could it be, that NOD32 is quicker to check internet than Windows opens WLAN connection and gets stuck there after first unsuccessfull attempt?

See attached picture taken appr. 20 mins. after resume from sleep.

Third picture after 3rd resume from sleep. Manual update now gets version 10884 active. No automatic update .....

post-1117-0-73685400-1418680725_thumb.jpg

post-1117-0-51201700-1418680882_thumb.jpg

post-1117-0-34750800-1418730338_thumb.jpg

Edited by wolliballa

• 2 weeks later...

And you haven't modified the VSD update task?

Maybe a workaround could be to modify this task so that it e.g. will try to update every 20 minutes.

However your assumption could be right:

Could it be, that NOD32 is quicker to check internet than Windows opens WLAN connection and gets stuck there after first unsuccessfull attempt?

Maybe you have a similar issue like the one discussed some time ago in another thread:

Delay Update Attempt?

There are also useful instructions how to test this, so maybe you should follow the instructions for the "ping test" from @Aryeh Goretsky to find out whether your assumption is true.

Edited by rugk

@rugk: Thanks, yes https://forum.eset.com/topic/3035-delay-update-attempt/ shows exactly the symptoms.

However I was not yet able to do the ping test, but definitely there is no automatic check for updates at least 20 mins after wake up (this intervall is manually configured to check for new updates..

And you haven't modified the VSD update task?

Maybe a workaround could be to modify this task so that it e.g. will try to update every 20 minutes.

However your assumption could be right:

Maybe you have a similar issue like the one discussed some time ago in another thread:

Delay Update Attempt?

There are also useful instructions how to test this, so maybe you should follow the instructions for the "ping test" from @Aryeh Goretsky to find out whether your assumption is true.

... an issue that was never resolved for what its worth. Sigh.

--

bc

Well. that depends on how you define "issue". Is it really an ESET issue if your network adapter is too slow while resuming the network connection or is it the "fault" of your network adapter?
However of course it would be nice if you can configure this delay in the task scheduler and it seems as ESET already wants to add this:

Update tasks are already delayed a bit. There's no way to configure this delay, however. We'll consider improving scheduler for future versions.

Additionally after my last reply you and nobody else replied, so I thought you have no problem with this or you don't care about this issue any more or whatever.

And if you still have the same issues then you can of course follow the descriptions here (at least to find a workaround until this change in the scheduler - which will (as I assume) take at least until the next major release).

@wolliballa

And you can of course also try out the things from the other thread. And as I said maybe a ping test can help to get more information about this.

• 1 month later...