Update Issue with ESET Cyber Security 7.3.3700.0 on Mac After Extended Sleep

I noticed an update issue with the ESET Cyber Security version 7.3.3700.0 on my Mac. After putting the MacBook to sleep (by closing the lid) for a while, I've noticed that the software fails to update. This is intriguing because when I ping update.eset.com, I get a response, which means there's no issue with my internet connection.

I've tried updating it multiple times without success. However, a simple restart of my MacBook allows ESET to update as usual. This seems to be a recurring problem and I hope ESET team can take a look into this.

截屏2023-08-22 20.52.59.png

• 2 weeks later...

Having a very similar issue. Not happening to the few clients I have with V6 still installed only V7.3. Rebooting does not help in my case, I have had to uninstall/reinstall to get it fixed. but after a week or so the issue returns. I have already removed V7.3 from all the Macs having this issue. If another one shows up I will gather logs. Please post the fix

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

I later found that this issue can be temporarily solved by terminating com.eset.network process.

However, after a few hours, the update problem will resurface again, which can also be solved by the above method.

Edited by AnthonyQ

@AnthonyQ If this issue can be temporary solved by going to the system setting - network - filters and disable/enable the ESET Web&Email transparent proxy filter, you might be hitting the same buffer full (overflow?) issue as me. I see this issue even if the machine has not gone to sleep.

Hopefully fixed in upcoming release that should be coming any day now due to missing support for MacOS 14 (Sonoma) in 7.3.3700.
The issue was also present in 7.3.2100.0, but then support told me to downgrade to 6.11.xx or wait for the next version of 7.3.xx

From ESET Support:
"They (developers, my clarification) have reproduced the issue and confirmed that it has been classified as a bug.
The communication that goes through our network system extension causes the extension to fill the buffer and cause the issue.

Unfortunately there is currently no time frame for a fix, but keep an eye on updates as it will be fixed in a future update."

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/14/2023 at 3:22 PM, Tommy V said:

@AnthonyQ If this issue can be temporary solved by going to the system setting - network - filters and disable/enable the ESET Web&Email transparent proxy filter, you might be hitting the same buffer full (overflow?) issue as me. I see this issue even if the machine has not gone to sleep.

Hopefully fixed in upcoming release that should be coming any day now due to missing support for MacOS 14 (Sonoma) in 7.3.3700.
The issue was also present in 7.3.2100.0, but then support told me to downgrade to 6.11.xx or wait for the next version of 7.3.xx

From ESET Support:
"They (developers, my clarification) have reproduced the issue and confirmed that it has been classified as a bug.
The communication that goes through our network system extension causes the extension to fill the buffer and cause the issue.

Unfortunately there is currently no time frame for a fix, but keep an eye on updates as it will be fixed in a future update."

Sadly, I can confirm that this issue was not fixed in recently released ESET Cyber Security Ver 7.4.1200.

On 9/29/2023 at 5:36 PM, AnthonyQ said:

Sadly, I can confirm that this issue was not fixed in recently released ESET Cyber Security Ver 7.4.1200.

My issue seems to have been fixed in 7.4.1200 at least. I'm not longer required to restart the proxy filter. On 7.3.3700 I had to restart the filer once or twice a day as an average.
So I'm a happy camper now :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • ESET Staff

Version 7.4 contains some  fixes in web and email protection. Please, upgrade you 7.3 by released 7.4. it could fix your problem.

If problem still persists in 7.4 please fill support ticket for that.

23 hours ago, Robertos said:

Version 7.4 contains some  fixes in web and email protection. Please, upgrade you 7.3 by released 7.4. it could fix your problem.

If problem still persists in 7.4 please fill support ticket for that.

Seems to have been fixed, will continue to monitor.

Btw, has the context menu scanning feature been permanently removed in ESET Cyber Security V7? I think it is a useful and necessary feature...

• ESET Staff

It was not removed, it only was not implemented yet. Unfortunately, we do not plan to implement it in the next yer, it has very low  priority. 

What action from context menu is missing for you?

55 minutes ago, Robertos said:

It was not removed, it only was not implemented yet. Unfortunately, we do not plan to implement it in the next yer, it has very low  priority. 

What action from context menu is missing for you?

When I need to perform a thorough scan of a file, the most convenient method is to scan it using the options available in the context menu. However, currently, I have to manually drag and drop the file onto the main GUI in order to initiate a scan. Additionally, it seems that the real-time scanner is unable to perform a deep scan.

Is your team planning to implement Pico update and/or advanced machine learning in ESET Cyber Security? This can further help achieve feature parity between the Windows version and Mac version of ESET. :)

Edited by AnthonyQ

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/31/2023 at 5:57 AM, Robertos said:
  • Pico update is not planned for ESET Cyber Security for macOS.
  • Machine learning is planned.

Another feature I would like to ask for is ESET LiveGuard, exclusively for ESSP or Mac equivalent. Is it on the development roadmap?

• ESET Staff

LiveGuard is planned.

What do you think by ESSP? Do you think features like firewall? Firewall is planned. It should be released at the end of Q2/2024.

Other Pro features not included in AV version are not planned in next half-next year.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/8/2023 at 9:36 PM, Robertos said:

LiveGuard is planned.

What do you think by ESSP? Do you think features like firewall? Firewall is planned. It should be released at the end of Q2/2024.

Other Pro features not included in AV version are not planned in next half-next year.

In my opinion, as macOS already has its built-in firewall, to differentiate from it, I suggest ECS's firewall integrated with LiveGrid reputation information and allowing for specifying policies based on this information.

When it comes to AV for macOS, the focus should be on detection. I am excited to see ML and LiveGuard being implemented in ESET for Mac. By the way, can ML (Augur) and LiveGuard process macOS samples such as .app and .pkg files?

Edited by AnthonyQ