Lost between Cloud Console, Agents, Policies and Endpoint products...

Labsy

Hi,

After being computer engineer and System admin for 35 years, I get confused with new products from time to time. Mostly because organization logic is not clera to me. And with ESET is just the case right now.

I am totally lost in those Cloud consoles, but it is just design, which I consider very unclear, hard for quick overview...but that's probably just me and my oldfashioned waay of thinking.

What bothers me technically now is DEPLOYMENT to end-users' computers and servers. So if somebody can point out to some good video or documentation to read, or explain briefly to me, I will apprecaite it very much:

1. What do I need to deploy to end-user's computer, AGENT or ENDPOINT product, or both? And if I have a choice of either, what's the difference?

2. I want to create, in general, these type of installers:
    a.) MANAGED via Coud Console
    b.) MANAGED via Cloud Console, but with less restrictions (RDP in, FTP and VPN out...)
    c.) SELF-MANAGED, but still reporting to Cloud Console
    What do I need to create in general for those? Different POLICIES for Endpoint, for AGENT, or for both?

3. Do I need to create POLICY for every customer and every license separately, or can I reuse them for all customers? I am a reseller, so for now I only have 3 companies, but in the future there will be 50+ of them,so I want to et started right.

4. In PROTECT Cloud console there are COMPUTERS. In tree-like navigation I can see COMPANIES...but I cannot create new companies, so all installers show as they are build for MY COMPANY (Reseller). How do I add companies there? I can only add New Dynamic group:
    image.png

Thank you all for explanation.

• 2 weeks later...
  • ESET Moderators

Hello @Labsy,

On 7/25/2023 at 6:14 PM, Labsy said:

So if somebody can point out to some good video or documentation to read

the help to read is available at https://help.eset.com/protect_cloud/en-US/ 

What do I need to deploy to end-user's computer, AGENT or ENDPOINT product, or both? And if I have a choice of either, what's the difference?

Agent is the component which among other things facilitates the communication with the management server i.e. the ESET PROTECT cloud, downloads and applies the policies, executes the tasks and so on

The Endpoint is the ESET Security product, which facilitates the protection itself.

You can deploy the agent first and later the ESET Security product via it, or you may deploy both at once.

I want to create, in general, these type of installers:
a.) MANAGED via Coud Console
b.) MANAGED via Cloud Console, but with less restrictions (RDP in, FTP and VPN out...)
c.) SELF-MANAGED, but still reporting to Cloud Console
What do I need to create in general for those? Different POLICIES for Endpoint, for AGENT, or for both?

You may have one installer and later apply the desired policy to selected group(s) of endpoints

Do I need to create POLICY for every customer and every license separately, or can I reuse them for all customers? I am a reseller, so for now I only have 3 companies, but in the future there will be 50+ of them,so I want to et started right.

That sounds like an MSP use case, so you should probably start using the ESET MSP Administrator... 🙂 

Peter