ESET Endpoint Linux v10 Web Access + FortiClient

Go to solution Solved by Marcos,

• Most Valued Members

Once ESET auto updated , FortiClient stopped working again

I have reported about this bug before in the BETA Phase.

image.png

I will try to disable Web Access or revert to the old version if I found it , if not I will have to uninstall to keep accessing my destinations.

Edited by Nightowl

• Administrators
  • Solution

Currently only a few VPNs listed at https://help.eset.com/eeau/10/en-US/web_access_protection.html are supported. It is possible that the list will be extended in the future as we find workarounds for particular VPNs.

Please raise a support ticket so that we can research the possibility to add Forticlient VPN support as well.

• Most Valued Members

After disabling the Web Access Protection , I can access it again :

image.png

Is there anyway I could workaround it? with adding exclusions or IPs ?

• Most Valued Members
5 minutes ago, Marcos said:

Currently only a few VPNs listed at https://help.eset.com/eeau/10/en-US/web_access_protection.html are supported. It is possible that the list will be extended in the future as we find workarounds for particular VPNs.

Please raise a support ticket so that we can research the possibility to add Forticlient VPN support as well.

I will do so , is there anyway I can workaround it through the settings or I have to revert to older version or keep Web Access disabled?

It auto-updated , I didn't realize it's v10 coming , I thought another patch to v9 , that's why I didn't know

• Most Valued Members

I know that GUI isn't a high priority now , but I would like to report that graphical look bug , even when Web Access is disabled , main page still shows that "You are protected" in a green style , I believe it should act like Windows edition with Red color of it being disabled or atleast Yellow.

image.png

image.png

• Most Valued Members
3 hours ago, Marcos said:

Ticket Code - IOP3G-247BFO

• ESET Staff
On 7/12/2023 at 9:52 AM, Nightowl said:

I know that GUI isn't a high priority now , but I would like to report that graphical look bug , even when Web Access is disabled , main page still shows that "You are protected" in a green style , I believe it should act like Windows edition with Red color of it being disabled or atleast Yellow.

image.png

image.png

Hello I tested it at my environment and it works as expected and once you disable WAP in gui is red notification like in windows.

image.png

image.png

In your case it could be caused by following policy or setting:

image.png

• Most Valued Members
16 minutes ago, J.J. said:

Hello I tested it at my environment and it works as expected and once you disable WAP in gui is red notification like in windows.

image.png

image.png

In your case it could be caused by following policy or setting:

image.png

You are correct J.J,

Forgive me i didn't notice , I went to where you have showed me

image.png

And it's true as you've said it's disabled

But just a suggestion , shouldn't it be enabled by default? , because I didn't touch the Notifications/Statuses area at all.

Thank you.

Edited by Nightowl

• Administrators
15 minutes ago, Nightowl said:

But just a suggestion , shouldn't it be enabled by default? , because I didn't touch the Notifications/Statuses area at all.

Keen observation :) I've asked the product manager if there's an intention behind this discrepancy between Windows and Linux.

• Most Valued Members
7 minutes ago, Marcos said:

Keen observation :) I've asked the product manager if there's an intention behind this discrepancy between Windows and Linux.

Thank you bro , just trying to help with some feedback :)

• Administrators
44 minutes ago, Nightowl said:

But just a suggestion , shouldn't it be enabled by default? , because I didn't touch the Notifications/Statuses area at all

The reason is that one cannot re-enable protection features locally unlike on Windows if a particular protecton feature is not disabled by a policy.

• Most Valued Members
1 hour ago, Marcos said:

The reason is that one cannot re-enable protection features locally unlike on Windows if a particular protecton feature is not disabled by a policy.

I understand, thank you.

• ESET Moderators

Hello @Nightowl,

On 7/12/2023 at 9:20 AM, Nightowl said:

After disabling the Web Access Protection , I can access it again :

On 7/12/2023 at 9:20 AM, Nightowl said:

Is there anyway I could workaround it? with adding exclusions or IPs ?

Have you tried to exclude it by IP or the certificate?
It might be worth trying, until a solution is provided by the tech support team...

Peter

• Most Valued Members
10 hours ago, Peter Randziak said:

Hello @Nightowl,

Have you tried to exclude it by IP or the certificate?
It might be worth trying, until a solution is provided by the tech support team...

Peter

I just lose access to the whole GUI of FortiClient itself , I tried to exclude Forticlient but I wasn't successful or I did something wrong.

• ESET Moderators
On 7/14/2023 at 9:31 PM, Nightowl said:

I tried to exclude Forticlient but I wasn't successful or I did something wrong.

How have you excluded it? (by IP or by the certificate's details ?)

Peter

• Most Valued Members
22 hours ago, Peter Randziak said:

How have you excluded it? (by IP or by the certificate's details ?)

Peter

I'm afraid there is nothing I can exclude since I lose access to the whole software

I don't think it would make a difference if I would exclude my VPN IP , since the whole program stops working when Web Access Protection is running

If I can exclude some other way that I am not aware of , please tell me , but for me I can wait more time , I have it off for now (web access protection)

• ESET Moderators

Hello @Nightowl

1 hour ago, Nightowl said:

I don't think it would make a difference if I would exclude my VPN IP , since the whole program stops working when Web Access Protection is running

O.K., in that case I'm assume we will have to wait for the analysis by the HQ Support / Dev teams to see what is wrong there and how to fix it...

Please keep us posted,

Peter

• Most Valued Members
1 minute ago, Peter Randziak said:

Hello @Nightowl

O.K., in that case I'm assume we will have to wait for the analysis by the HQ Support / Dev teams to see what is wrong there and how to fix it...

Please keep us posted,

Peter

Thank you Peter , I will do if something happens

Thanks for the assistance.

• 1 month later...

Well, I can reproduce it on two different Fedora installations too, which is why I'm sticking with 9.x.

Speaking of which, in order to still update when new versions are gonna be released, is there a way to disable the web protection without ESET Protect Cloud? A configuration file perhaps? A command line entry?

I know that the GUI is low priority, but it would be nice to add an option to enable/disable components in there too.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Most Valued Members

I have updated to 10.1.8.0 and re-enabled Web Access Protection but sadly same problem remains , I've tested because I have read from release logs that it got improved.

It can be re-produced by downloading FortiClient VPN (VPN only) deb package from here

https://www.fortinet.com/support/product-downloads

And having ESET web access protection to be running in the same time.

No need for login or passwords or VPN's IP , the GUI will not work as long as Web Access Protection is running.

Thank you.

Edited by Nightowl

• Most Valued Members
18 minutes ago, Peter Randziak said:

Hello @Nightowl,

thank you for the update.
What response have you received from the ticket?

Peter

When I made contact in July , I received that it's a Known Issue between VPN and Web Access Protections and it will be looked on in the future.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello! I have the same problem... When is it expected to include FortiClient among the VPNs that work with ESET? Has anyone found any alternative solution (besides the one marked here as "solution")?

Greetings, and thanks in advance.