ESET freezes when changing settings.

ESET will freeze when I try to change settings. I received a message stating that the Spooler service had changed when I was printing and, I told it to continue, I then received the UAC prompt, I chose OK, ESET froze, and I couldn't print, I rebooted multiple times, no go, I missed a deadline because of this software (ver.8) which is not compatible with Win 8.1.

I did a full uninstall using the uninstall tool in safe mode, came back up, reinstalled, still freezes, I can now print, but once Windows Updates pushes a new update next month, my computer will become useless. I am now set to automatic updates for the eset firewall, I tried to change this, but eset will freeze again, and need to reboot, I can make not make settings changes without eset freezing. 

Is there a way to download ver.7 which is stable, or is there a fix?

Thank you.

Edited by RIchAM

Not UAC, ver.8 is just buggy. Installed ver. 7 it worked fine, let eset upgrade to 8 problems all over again. Ver.8 is just not compatible with Win 8.1.

• Administrators

The fact that you are having issues with v8 doesn't make it buggy as we still don't know the cause and millions of other users have been using it without issues on Windows 8.1. We are ready to assist you if you decide to troubleshoot the issue.

Does renaming C:\Windows\System32\drivers\ehdrv.sys in safe mode make a difference?

Thanks Afevis, I was able to find 7, I unistalled and reinstalled 8 this morning, then renamed the sys file, this disabled HIPS, this resolved the issue, it wasn't UAC but HIPS, thanks.

I know this isn't a resolution but a workaround, but it will work until a resolution can be found, I remember this was an issue with ver 5 or 6 and ESET pushed a fix down the road.

Anyway, after disabling HIPS I renamed the sys file back with the proper extension (not sure if that was necessary or not), but it is working without HIPS activated.

Thanks again, I missed a deadline, but I was able to work around it with another computer. I was frustrated not because of you, but because I am an IT Tech and if I can't figure it out myself, I get frustrated with myself.

Thanks again.

Edited by RIchAM

Confirm "ESET GUI freezes when changing settings- promt admin rights" after update HIPS module 1153 on 3 PCs W8.1  x64 all update with enable option "promt full admin rights also for limited user"

• Administrators

Those who are experiencing the issue and are willing to test a new HIPS module to find out if the fix we've made solves the issue (an ESET binary was excluded from self-defense), drop me a pm for further instructions.