SUSPECTED MEMORY LEAK egui.proxy.exe !!! Why does this process continually run?

• Administrators
11 hours ago, Jan Skalicky said:

(I've done only one installation and then upgrades through NOD32 itself - betting this doesn't affect eguiProxy.exe potential memory leaks)

The dump was only 136 MB in size. Please create another one when private bytes in the Task manager exceed 500 MB. Also create a dump of egui.exe at that time (open it, if not running). Also note the system uptime (displayed when running "net statistics workstation" - Statistics from...

Would you be willing to try the previous v15.2 for a few days and see if the same happens? If so, you could download it from https://support.eset.com/en/kb2885 and temporarily disable feature updates in the advanced setup.

Marcos,

The dump was only 136 MB in size.
what do you mean by "only"? :-) As i have said - was 700 MB after approx. 14 days uptime; then after reboot (was not able to kill the process by any method tried), it's slowly increasing - 190 MB currently...

Please create another one when private bytes in the Task manager exceed 500 MB...
...then we would need to wait

Would you be willing to try the previous v15.2 for a few days and see if the same happens?
willing that for sure, but at first I suggest waiting for more allocation, if 140MB is not enough for you, ok?

19 minutes ago, Jan Skalicky said:

what do you mean by "only"? 🙂 As i have said - was 700 MB after approx. 14 days uptime

Do you run the PC 7/24? That is you only reboot it occasionally? This might be significant to the issue.

yes - that was why I mentioned the uptime in the very first post actually, but let's make it explicit. I think it's characteristic for NOD32 v16, as otherwise I would expect noticing this already in the past. Take this as a hypothesis...

Well 2 days uptime (Yes i run my pc 24.7 ) the EGUI proxy process is at 14.88 MB working set 11.25mb private bytes Main ESET process is 297mb working set 149.17 mb private bytes , So maybe  due to an inherited issue from multiple  in place upgrades

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to join this conversation by saying I've experienced exactly the same memory leak issue on Win7, indeed last time I checked, eguiProxy.exe was consuming a whopping 1GB of ram!

• Administrators
6 hours ago, SteveCorbett said:

Just wanted to join this conversation by saying I've experienced exactly the same memory leak issue on Win7, indeed last time I checked, eguiProxy.exe was consuming a whopping 1GB of ram!

Please provide the following when you notice the issue:
1, A dump of eguiproxy.exe, e.g. created via the Task manager or Process Explorer.
2, Logs collected with ESET Log Collector.

Further, update  EGUI proxy now only 5mb maybe due to  some strange memory offloading to page file following  3rd party download extension  on Firefox because on completion of a 10gb test file  it appears to cause this offload of memory  whilst it writes  to disk  the downloaded file, never experienced this behaviour before i used this multi thread download manager extension Multithreaded Download Manager, after a total  of  9 days of uptime

Field	Value
Physical Memory	
Total	16304 MB
Used	7516 MB
Free	8788 MB
Utilization	46 %

Virtual Memory	
Total	32607 MB
Used	9542 MB
Free	23065 MB
Utilization	29 %

Paging File	
Paging File	C:\pagefile.sys
Current Size	16304 MB
Current / Peak Usage	1129 MB / 2045 MB
Utilization	7 %

Physical Address Extension (PAE)	
Supported by Operating System	Yes
Supported by CPU	Yes
Active	Yes

Edited by tommy456

On 1/10/2023 at 10:07 PM, Jan Skalicky said:

...had to reboot now - starting from the 14 MB state as well

...currently (after ~ 2 weeks) approx. 512MB of private bytes (according to taskmgr) - creating dump (via procexp) and sharing through IM (as before)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators

The root cause has been pinpointed and the bug will be fixed in the next v16.0 hotfix which we will probably provide on request here or through a tech support.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators
3 minutes ago, Jan Skalicky said:

> ...which we will probably provide on request here...

@Marcos, so I'm requesting here (having v16.0.26.0 currently)

Currently we do not have such installers yet but they will be available later this year.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Administrators
39 minutes ago, A_C said:

Is there a fix yet?

No, v16.0 is no longer being developed and has been replaced with v16.1 and v16.2 to be released soon, however, these do not support Windows 7 and 8 any more. It is possible that there will be one more build of v16.0 later this year with fixes for Win7/8 users, however.

Thanks for replying. I know I'm in the minority, but since I'm still using Win7 I'd like to be notified when/if there is a fix for this

• 1 month later...
On 6/6/2023 at 8:06 PM, A_C said:

Thanks for replying. I know I'm in the minority, but since I'm still using Win7 I'd like to be notified when/if there is a fix for this

hi A_C, I'm other one from that minority, hoping for having the possibility to hold on the combination of Win7+ESET for as long as possible (having license for more years and definitelly not planning upgrade to Win10/11)

...so I'm still waiting for that fix as well

> ...It is possible that there will be one more build of v16.0 later this year with fixes for Win7/8 users, however.
hoping and looking forward to it @Marcos, otherwise we're "lost in leaks forever" (1 GB allocated yet again currently)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

Just registering that I'm seeing the same issue here with eguiproxy eating memory on Win7. I hope that a hotfix is released, and would like to be updated when one is available. thanks!

I am having th same problem with win7 - esetproxygui is running at 1.3gig and rising. I have 3 machines running on win7 and eset.

Please release a fix!

As an interim on win7 - downlaod ProcessHacker this will kill the EsetProxyGui process

still need a fix though or i'll have to ditch Eset

On 6/6/2023 at 6:48 PM, Marcos said:

No, v16.0 is no longer being developed and has been replaced with v16.1 and v16.2 to be released soon, however, these do not support Windows 7 and 8 any more. It is possible that there will be one more build of v16.0 later this year with fixes for Win7/8 users, however.

Did

@Marcos

a build for win7 get released?

What is the last working version before the memory leak was added?

thanks

On 1/9/2023 at 11:44 AM, Marcos said:

The dump was only 136 MB in size. Please create another one when private bytes in the Task manager exceed 500 MB. Also create a dump of egui.exe at that time (open it, if not running). Also note the system uptime (displayed when running "net statistics workstation" - Statistics from...

Would you be willing to try the previous v15.2 for a few days and see if the same happens? If so, you could download it from https://support.eset.com/en/kb2885 and temporarily disable feature updates in the advanced setup.

When you download the installed link to a 16.2 page and says I cannot install.

So now cannot install eset at all...