SUSPECTED MEMORY LEAK egui.proxy.exe !!! Why does this process continually run?

As above,  the egui proxy process is not closing or releasing memory resources  enabling advanced logging and then disabling it  works as a workaround, but this also restarts the main ESET process too, if i kill and restart the offending process i need to log off and on again to fix  strange issue of non responding desktop icons and menus,  I did not suffer this issue  on the previous working version of EIS Is this a corruption due to the in place upgrade feature ? yes i'm still running WIN7  without issues apart from this

Eset Proxy GUI process; i.e. eguiProxy.exe, is just a loader that speeds up startup of Eset GUI processing. It normally consumes 2.8 MB on my Win 10 Pro 22H2 build with slight memory increases and decreases (approx. .1 to .2 MB) in size.

Are you stating that you observe a constant increase of eguiProxy.exe memory size over time which would be indicative of a memory leak?

Edited by itman

Yes and it is currently using 74.46 MB  working set of RAM This increases  regardless of if the main  GUI is opened or not, IMO  this always running memory hog isn't needed the GUI opened fast enough prior to this version

8 minutes ago, itman said:

I really don't know if Eset will even investigate this since Win 7 support ends on 1/10/2023: https://support-eol.eset.com/en/trending_weol2023_7_81.html

They May not But win 10 is the same  underneath the hood so to speak just as is 8.1 I may try a re instal from offline installer if they didn't foobar  that option  again like the last time i had to get uk tech to remotely  uninstall and remove reg entries  that prevented a clean  installation (due to  in place upgrades) 🙄 Life is about LEARNING from mistakes and  AVOIDING repetition, now if that worked in practice  the word would be a much better place, humans  most intelligent species?  Which pseudo scientists  claimed that then? the past 3 yrs has  been far too obvious to suggest they were very wrong

Edited by tommy456

1 hour ago, tommy456 said:

like the last time i had to get uk tech to remotely  uninstall and remove reg entries  that prevented a clean  installation (due to  in place upgrades)

Use the Eset uninstaller tool: https://support.eset.com/en/kb2289-uninstall-eset-manually-using-the-eset-uninstaller-tool

I HAD already tried that  in safe mode as directed 100% fail  however uk support  did this in normal mode and proceeded to manually search and remove ,clean up reg entries  the uninstal tool should have cleaned but failed  to remove

I see the same  values  in both task manager and  process hacker  current values are 99.6 MB private bytes 104.92 MB working set  and that is after nearly 2 days uptime  following  using the advanced logging to reset it

Edited by tommy456

4 hours ago, Marcos said:

Where are you seeing high memory usage for eguiproxy? In Task manager, Process Explorer or another tool? What is the column name?

Did you intentionally have Eset GUI open when you posted the screen shot?

There is a bug in ver. 16 that causes equi.exe to remain running on my Win 10 22H2 build when the Eset GUI is closed. I am still trying to determine when this occurs since its frequency is very intermittent.

Perhaps this is related to what's going on here with the behavior different on Win 7; i.e. high memory usage from equiProxy.exe?

On 12/27/2022 at 2:11 PM, itman said:

Did you intentionally have Eset GUI open when you posted the screen shot?

There is a bug in ver. 16 that causes equi.exe to remain running on my Win 10 22H2 build when the Eset GUI is closed. I am still trying to determine when this occurs since its frequency is very intermittent.

Perhaps this is related to what's going on here with the behavior different on Win 7; i.e. high memory usage from equiProxy.exe?

You mean it should not be running when the GUI is closed? Because I posted another firewall bug with interactive mode and when this happens I see the process running all the time, it never dies. It's just there consuming around 4 MB for eternity.

5 hours ago, VW00 said:

You mean it should not be running when the GUI is closed?

Correct. The equi.exe process should auto terminate a short time after the Eset GUI is closed via desktop means.

Yup on Win 7  the Main set GUI .exe process  stops running within 10 secs of closing the GUI  as intended  but this EGUI proxy  process runs continually and accumulates (hogs) memory  even without any opening of the eset gui IMO it's an UN needed memory hog, it doesn't improve anything

• 2 weeks later...

Win7 64-bit, Eset NOD32 16.0.24.0, host uptime is 14 days, eguiProxy running (Eset GUI not shown) and its memory workset is 770 MB - pi*ing me off and hoping Eset will fix this

Edited by Jan Skalicky

BTW I'm not able to kill the eguiProxy.exe by any option I've tried (incl. taskkill with SYSTEM account identity) - to test the behavior after its restart; if anyone knows how to kill this process, I will try...

Marcos, thanks for quick reply

after system reboot, it started with memory consumption ~10 MB; now (1 day uptime) it's ~60MB and seems to increase... should I wait for more memory allocated to make the dump?

3 hours ago, Jan Skalicky said:

after system reboot, it started with memory consumption ~10 MB; now (1 day uptime) it's ~60MB and seems to increase... should I wait for more memory allocated to make the dump?

This should be adequate for analysis since normal memory consumption of equiproxy.exe is approx. 3 MB.

itman, dump created (140MB currently) - what transport channel would you prefer? (don't want to paste here since I don't know what potentially private data this process has; nontheless the limit here is 100 MB). Eg. I'm able to create an FTP account for you on my server with credentials sent over e-mail and expose there...

20 minutes ago, Jan Skalicky said:

Eg. I'm able to create an FTP account for you on my server with credentials sent over e-mail and expose there...

The acceptable upload procedure is to upload the log to a file sharing web site, cloud storage, etc.. Then PM @Marcos with the provided download access link.

I decided to  Re install EIS on my PC , did a clean offline install  as  another issue developed   where  my desktop background would  turn black  and icons disappeared , and had to use task manager to log off or restart this  never occurred prior t o this version of EIS,  ( upgraded by application ) But so far the ESET GUI PROXY Process is remaining at around 14mb  though the main ESET process is now using a little more than it did previously , the only issues i have encountered so far is a slower loading on desktop icons during boot time , and explorer process  terminating when accessing  some control panel menus such as security and firewall