icon in task bar

I rebooted computer and there is no icon for Eset in my task batr (right side). I checked in sartup and it is there and checked. The icon on desk top opens Eset and it is enabled and running scans. How can I get the icon back in task bar?

Thanks

• ESET Moderators

Ok, let us know what happens and if that does resolve your issue.

Also, we're interested whether you knew about the ESET Knowledgebase and performed a search to find your answer, and if you didn't find relevant results, which search terms you used because we can modify the results for search queries to help other users with this issue. Thanks.

Yes I did know about knowledge base.  I did make a new shortcut and reboot with no luck.. I did not update windows nor download or add any new software either.

I downloaded and installed 8. Icon is back. I have been using Eset for approximately almost 6 years. I always was able to resolve any problems, which were few and far between.

I also went and restored windows the day before this hapened and icon was still not on task bar. Eset was running in the back ground, updating and scanning, just no icon.

I see no problems as of yet with 8, I am going bto uninstall and reinstall 7 just to see if that reolves the icon issue, I am curious!

Will let you know when I do reinstall 7 and what happens for future reference.

I run Eset on my desktop and two laptops all running windows 7, desktop was the only one with problem, all have identical software and Malware Premium.

Thank You for the advise anyways.

Okay, if the issue happens another time, please check these to things:

1. Is egui.exe running in the background?
  2. If you start ESET manually does the splash screen shows up?

Malware Premium = Malwarebytes Premium right? 

I had to ask one can never be sure these days  :D

:D

• 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately this happen for me too. I was able to "reproduce" the problem.

After a restart the tray icon was just gone.

ESET Smart Security 8.0.301.0

Here is the proof:

post-3952-0-35794600-1414602288_thumb.png

But egui.exe was running.

When I opend egui with the start menu I saw the normal GUI, but the icon still wasn't there. I could even close the GUI and open it again from the start menu and it was there (but not in the system tray).

Another interesting fact is that I was unable to close egui with Shift+Click on close - normally this forces egui.exe to close. (or I tried the wrong key: Ctrl+Click on close :unsure:  - I'm not remembering correctly...)

However I created a log with the log collector where the icon wasn't displayed.

This log with some additional screenshots I can send a mod when requested.

And the good thing at the end: After a restart of the computer (respectively VM) the tray icon was there again.

Edited by rugk

• 1 month later...

And it happened another time on another computer again...

The icon was just gone, but egui.exe was running.

This time ESS v 8.0.304.x was installed.

I also have a dump file of egui.exe when the issue appeared here.

So if a moderator wants to get it just send me a PM.

• Administrators

A dump of egui won't help. Personally I've had this issue with other applications' icons so it's rather a Windows' bug than ESET's.

Like I already replied to you I haven't seen this with other applications, but if that's true then you of course can't do anything.

Anyway this issue seems to happen very rarely, so it's not such bad and we don't have to worry about it.

Edited by rugk

• Most Valued Members

I've had the same disappearing ESET icon several times but a reboot always brings it back. It doesn't happen often but it does give me pause that my defenses are down when actually ESET is running.

I haven't had issues with any other icon doing this. It has happened over different versions of ESET as well and not something that I am really concerned about but thought I should confirm the occurrence.

Win 7 sp1 x64

Eset SS v8.0.301.0

Okay, so I wouldn't say that it's a bug in Windows.

And I haven't seen this in ESS v7 at all, so maybe it is a bug in ESS v8 which happens rarely but is there.

Are there any other users experiencing this?

Edited by rugk

Are there any other users experiencing this?

Yes, me too, but very very rarely.

Win 7 SP1 Ultimate x64, ESS 8.0.304.4.

But I am sure that this is a windows bug, because it also happens at other times with a Samsung printer icon and a Logitech wireless keyboard/mouse icon.

Edited by User