Windows 8.1 system restore fails with ESS7&8

I've been using N32 in my tower (XP) and N32 & ESS7 in a couple of laptops (W7), all total for almost 10yrs. Installation and usage w/o issues to speak of. But now comes today. I'm at my Ma's installing ESS8 into her W7 tower and up comes this same Sys Restore issue being discussed. I'll try the fixes suggested, but the reason I need to use Sys Restore was after I installed ESS8 the internet connection was disabled forcing me to Sys Restore through Safe Mode to dump the ESS8 and it's effects.

I realized after writing this that it was a thread re W8 but hey, I guess your issues with ESS7&8 wasn't exclusive to W8

I will probably need to look for a thread re the internet issue but after recommending and bragging on ESET's products for the years I've used it, this is a bit frustrating! Being a known issue one would think ESET would had put out a fix by now or at least an easy (for dummies like myself) work around. But then ESET would be admitting a product negative and we couldn't have that, now can we?

Like I said I'll try what has been suggested, and thank you caring sorts for your efforts and offerings.

• 1 month later...
  • Former ESET Employees

any update on the problem?

Ticket is still open. I have asked for an update, just waiting on it. A good security system should fight back when it is being manipulated outside of it's own built in functionality. We also know that uninstalling and reinstalling the before and after every system restore is less than convenient.

• 1 month later...

From my experience, ESS7 and ESS8 both block system restore from completing.  IF you disable ESS, it automatically gets re-enabled when the re-boot that is part of system restore occurs.  This re-enabling is what blocks the file that causes system restore to fail.  What I have seen is that both ESS7 and 8 must be uninstalled for system restore to complete successfully in Windows 8.1 and 8.1.1.

To me this is a bug that should be corrected by ESET, you should not have to uninstall antivirus for a system function to complete. 

I am a user of NOD32 version 8 running on Windows 7. Include me as as one who cannot perform a successful System Restore.  The Windows system restore prompt to disable my antivirus doesn't work because the computer reenables NOD32 protection during the computer restart and before the Windows system restore completes.

Issue 1

Disabling both HIPS and Self Defense has no effect, is not a workaround for me.

Issue 2

When you click on  "Temporarily disable protection", and reach the window to select the "Time Interval" for the temporary disable, you will see "Disabling protection permanently is possible in the advanced setup". Sorry, but I can't find where that is, can you?

I got around these issues by performing a System Restore via Windows Repair.

When is the ticket going to get acted upon?

Thank you.

=====================================================================================================

EDIT: 04/23/15, 0225 PST

Disabling Self-defense (directly) - or disabling  Self-defense (indirectly) by disabling HIPS  - will permit an unimpeded system restore, provided one restarts the computer after disabling Self-defense.

- Thank you Marcos for the reminder. 

EDIT: 03/14/16

Both the later versions of NOD AV 8 - as well as NOD AV 9 - have been permitting a problem free Window 7 System Restore with Self-defense/HIPS enabled.

Edited by Supersnake

• Administrators

Probably you didn't restart the computer after disabling HIPS or Self-defense. System restore being blocked by Self-defense is a security feature, however, we understand that it's not obvious that it's Self-defense which is preventing it. We're planning to add a box to HIPS setup that will allow you to permit system restore and will think of other more convenient solutions. Antivirus solutions that allow system restore automatically also enable miscreants to restore the system to the state when no antivirus is installed.

Thank you Marcos, reminding me to restart the computer afer disabling HIPS or Self-Defense worked. 

Looking forward to your creation of a box in the HIPS setup that will permit system restore, as well as other possible methods of convenience.

Edited by Supersnake

i will do a copy paste from a thread i created because my issues are a bit different.

I get an error 0x81000203 when trying to go to system/system protection. I don't see any drive letters in the list, and it just shows "scanning"

Sadly system restore was working for me with all versions untill i update Ess with a new version and reboot.
The problem is that it also messes with other services too. Just yesterday i received a windows update for defender definitions of 90MB. Meaning all cumulative since i installed ess.
Why is defender active again, i cant disable it from services as it is grayed out.... that is weird.
Also i am having bluetooth issues again (something i had earlier but didnt contribute to this issue)
It will disconnect randomly and wont connect by it self(mouse or headphones). Also i cant add any new BT devices to the system.

I have tried with the HIPS trick, alas no luck.
My restore fails with an error code, meaning i cant even start it, so i cant install for say ms office, because the installer makes auto system restore, and simpy FAILS when it gets to that part of the installation and rolls back all actions.

Br,

• Former ESET Employees

i will do a copy paste from a thread i created because my issues are a bit different.

I get an error 0x81000203 when trying to go to system/system protection. I don't see any drive letters in the list, and it just shows "scanning"

Sadly system restore was working for me with all versions untill i update Ess with a new version and reboot.

The problem is that it also messes with other services too. Just yesterday i received a windows update for defender definitions of 90MB. Meaning all cumulative since i installed ess.

Why is defender active again, i cant disable it from services as it is grayed out.... that is weird.

Also i am having bluetooth issues again (something i had earlier but didnt contribute to this issue)

It will disconnect randomly and wont connect by it self(mouse or headphones). Also i cant add any new BT devices to the system.

My restore fails with an error code, meaning i cant even start it, so i cant install for say ms office, because the installer makes auto system restore, and simpy FAILS when it gets to that part of the installation and rolls back all actions.

Br,

Have you tried to perform the steps below yet in order to perform a system restore?

Disabling Self-defense (directly) - or disabling  Self-defense (indirectly) by disabling HIPS  - will permit an unimpeded system restore, provided one restarts the computer after disabling Self-defense.

I just decided to read this thread. From old reports, if you upgraded from 8.0 to 8.1 via "the store", it breaks any of

the restore features. I just tried it on this laptop and got a "file missing" error which, I believe, was the reported failure.

This info came out days after the 8.1 update.

Br,

Have you tried to perform the steps below yet in order to perform a system restore?

Tried it. I tried everything i could think of.

even clean uninstall. reinstall. I always end up with the said error, and other problems stated. Other then reinstalling the OS, i have found no solution.

• Former ESET Employees

Br,

Tried it. I tried everything i could think of.

even clean uninstall. reinstall. I always end up with the said error, and other problems stated. Other then reinstalling the OS, i have found no solution.

Hi Moondoggie, have you tried the steps in this MS Community Post? I ask because the solution is for the same error and possibly same root cause after reading the different scenarios.

sadly those don't work. I've seen the posts, all 400 threads on MS forums :)

My services for sys restore are ok, running, not failing. I am not using any tuneup, speed up, fixit software, so that is not an issue.

The problem occurs after every clean install, normal use, UPGRADE of ESS. not before. happened on last system with version 7something ->8, and also now with ess 8 latest update

As for defender don't try to deactivate it by disabling the task. Use the settings of Windows defender instead (disable real-time protection) or use the ones offered via the action center. (there you can display a list of all installed AVs with buttons to disable/enable them).

Edited by rugk

• 2 months later...

so, new moments i found out, related to all this.

I can not run a windows 10 upgrade DVD. What happens is that every time the installer says it is NOT being run from windows, but booted from dvd. so i can not do an upgrade, only a clean install :(

Every time i use the setup.exe and go through upgrade option this happens, the same process is when you boot from dvd. But when i try on a normal machine, that didn't have this problem, the setup for upgrade in windows is a completely different thing, the process differs also

• Administrators

Windows 10 hasn't been released yet and ESET hasn't released a Windows 10 compatible installers yet either. Also it's not clear if you're attempting to upgrade to Windows 10 build 10240 and whether you currently have an older build of Windows 10 or an older OS installed.

I am running windows 8.1 pro.

This happens with any and i mean ANY version of 10. The os is acting like it is scheduled for a restart or sending a flag like you are not in a OS.

To further backup my claim, and to avoid "we do not suopory windows 10 yet" claims, it also happens with other software.

I tried to install MS office (2007,2010,2013) x32 and x64. Before the install begins i get thrown from the installer with the message saying to restart the system as it was scheduled for a restart and the installer can't continue. Etc etc

Now, no quantity of reatarts, disabling of eset options can help.

Thw system restore bug is still present also, as are other windows service issues (hiccups on most of them), like printer spooler not working, can not install new printers,etc.

Why am i sure it is related? Because i hace 3 pc's in the household and 2 have the issue,3rd hasn't done eset upgrades and does not reproduce the errors. Also when restoring from an image made with acronis for 1 machine, prior to update of eset, all is working ok. The moment i upgrade and reboot the issues start.

So no, it is not the "we do not support windows 10" problem.please start working on this bug as i am tired of doing clean installs of windows 8. This will be the 3rd time for 2 machines with same issue.

• 7 months later...

i am using ESET A/V and came into a situation where I needed to use system restore and got this message........

"System restore could NOT finish because it could not access a file. Probably your antivirus software is causing this problem. Try disabling your antivirus and run system restore again......." (Something like this....)

I tried multiple fixes and nothing seemed to work so I googled and found this thread from A YEAR AGO!!!!

I find it very troubling that ESET has known about this problem and DID ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO FIX IT!

SHAME ON YOU ESET!!!!!! VERY POORLY HANDLED PROBLEM!!!!

• Administrators

This issue was fixed about 8 months ago in the HIPS module v1178. If the problem continues, we'll need to look into it. Please continue as follows:

- enable logging of all blocked operations in the advanced HIPS setup

- reproduce the problem

- stop logging

- collect logs using ESET Log Collector (ELC)

- pm me the output from ELC.

i am using ESET A/V and came into a situation where I needed to use system restore and got this message........

"System restore could NOT finish because it could not access a file. Probably your antivirus software is causing this problem. Try disabling your antivirus and run system restore again......." (Something like this....)

I tried multiple fixes and nothing seemed to work so I googled and found this thread from A YEAR AGO!!!!

I find it very troubling that ESET has known about this problem and DID ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO FIX IT!

SHAME ON YOU ESET!!!!!! VERY POORLY HANDLED PROBLEM!!!!

Did you do the restore in "safe mode?" I have never had an issue when do it this way.

From my experience, ESS7 and ESS8 both block system restore from completing.  IF you disable ESS, it automatically gets re-enabled when the re-boot that is part of system restore occurs.  This re-enabling is what blocks the file that causes system restore to fail.  What I have seen is that both ESS7 and 8 must be uninstalled for system restore to complete successfully in Windows 8.1 and 8.1.1.

To me this is a bug that should be corrected by ESET, you should not have to uninstall antivirus for a system function to complete. 

I am a user of NOD32 version 8 running on Windows 7. Include me as as one who cannot perform a successful System Restore.  The Windows system restore prompt to disable my antivirus doesn't work because the computer reenables NOD32 protection during the computer restart and before the Windows system restore completes.

Issue 1

Disabling both HIPS and Self Defense has no effect, is not a workaround for me.

Issue 2

When you click on  "Temporarily disable protection", and reach the window to select the "Time Interval" for the temporary disable, you will see "Disabling protection permanently is possible in the advanced setup". Sorry, but I can't find where that is, can you?

I got around these issues by performing a System Restore via Windows Repair.

When is the ticket going to get acted upon?

Thank you.

====================================================================================================================

EDIT: 03/14/16

Both the later versions of NOD AV 8 - as well as NOD AV 9 - have been permitting a problem free Window 7 System Restore with Self-defense/HIPS enabled.

Updated information for Windows 7 System Restore.

Edited by Supersnake