OS X Shutdown Delay?

Go to solution Solved by planet,

You're saying this is an OSX issue? That an OS patch will resolve CSP's shutdown issue? CSP could be "used", but I don't tolerate software that makes my machines unstable. This would include crashes, degraded performance or incompatibilities with other software.

If this is an OS issue, then the fault is not ESET's. I'm having a hard time thinking why it would be, since the laptop shutdown in a heartbeat before CSP was installed, and only started exhibiting the excessive CPU usage (constant scanning maybe default behavior?) and additional 60 seconds of shutdown time.

• Most Valued Members

You're saying this is an OSX issue? That an OS patch will resolve CSP's shutdown issue? CSP could be "used", but I don't tolerate software that makes my machines unstable. This would include crashes, degraded performance or incompatibilities with other software.

If this is an OS issue, then the fault is not ESET's. I'm having a hard time thinking why it would be, since the laptop shutdown in a heartbeat before CSP was installed, and only started exhibiting the excessive CPU usage (constant scanning maybe default behavior?) and additional 60 seconds of shutdown time.

Marcos was trying to say that all of the fixes for Cyber Security Pro (and Cyber Security) will be done in one single release in time for supporting the new OS X 'El Capitan' coming out later in the year (most likely in October). I did report this shutdown issue along with others since the release of version 6.0.14.0 last year, which you can view all on this topic to see what is planned to be fixed (although not official) including the shutdown issue mentioned in this topic.

The CPU usage is most likely the scan that runs after a successful update (so it is usual behaviour but shouldn't noticeably impact performance from experience, you can adjust it in the Scheduler settings within the program if you decide to use ECSP in the future).

I'm not really sure why they haven't released a small fix for this issue previously (that's already fixed in the new release of Endpoint Security for OS X earlier in the year), but at this point in time I can see why ESET would now want to wait for a few months so they can release one large update instead of a smaller update now and another update in only a few months again... however shutting down the mac and having ECSP delay it by approx. 60 seconds instead of the usual few seconds can be quite frustrating.  :(

• Administrators

Releasing a newer version is never simple, especially in terms of testing. Unless there's a severe issue affecting a bigger group of users, we aggregate fixes and release them together at once. This time a new version of OS X is to be unveiled soon which adds additional delay. As I have stated, we could provide an internal build addressing a specific issue if it prevents a user from using ESET's product that he or she has purchased.

No one from ESET gave me such a solution. They never offered an internal build that addressed the issue. I wouldn't have wasted the last X months of the subscription with the laptop unprotected.  Why is it a company is so big that one side does not know what the other is doing?

You can change the timeout, edit the file /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.eset.esets_daemon.plist

You do this at your own risk though as I am not totally sure of the side effects.

• Most Valued Members

You can change the timeout, edit the file /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.eset.esets_daemon.plist

You do this at your own risk though as I am not totally sure of the side effects.

I did have a go last year when I noticed the issue (and just tried it again now by altering the 'ExitTimeOut' to 10 seconds from its default 65 seconds), but it still didn't change the shutdown duration for me. I think this is because although the plist file is named with the process 'esets_daemon', in the file it actually is for a different process, esets_ctl.

It's probably best to wait until ESET releases the major ECS/ECSP update around El Capitan's release soon.

Edited by planet

• ESET Insiders

No one from ESET gave me such a solution. They never offered an internal build that addressed the issue. I wouldn't have wasted the last X months of the subscription with the laptop unprotected.  Why is it a company is so big that one side does not know what the other is doing?

ESET should NEVER EVER find an excuse with the 3rd party (Apple) OS X 10.10.x or 10.11.x  Shame on you ESET, If you can sell it, maintenance your product for 100% customer satisfaction.

You're running a business with clients that have high regards of you. Addressing the issues with the software you make, by blaming a 3rd party OS like Apple or MS is not quite how I see a business is run right. If you sell, stand by your customers who provide you income to take home and FIX those damn issues that are making our head spin for 9+ MONTHS now. The same amount of time it took Apple to develop a new sequel to the OS X family,  OS X 10.11 El Captitan! (???)

Come on ESET.....,  get a hold and firm grip on your in-company workflows and think twice before throwing such lame excuses at customers, as if the issues mentioned were reported only a few weeks ago.

I'm for sure a very disappointed customer atm!

Cheers  :huh:

• ESET Insiders

I did have a go last year when I noticed the issue (and just tried it again now by altering the 'ExitTimeOut' to 10 seconds from its default 65 seconds), but it still didn't change the shutdown duration for me. I think this is because although the plist file is named with the process 'esets_daemon', in the file it actually is for a different process, esets_ctl.

It's probably best to wait until ESET releases the major ECS/ECSP update around El Capitan's release soon.

Hi planet,

I've high respect for your inputs and troubleshooting here on the forums, BUT would you accept waiting 9+ months to get your car fixed (whilst under guarantee) because of all those season holidays? "The computer sais NO!"?????

That's NOT how I see IT businesses are run ATM.....

Cheers

• Most Valued Members

Hi planet,

I've high respect for your inputs and troubleshooting here on the forums, BUT would you accept waiting 9+ months to get your car fixed (whilst under guarantee) because of all those season holidays? "The computer sais NO!"?????

It's difficult. I'm just a regular ESET user who has reported issues, suggestions and feedback including the OS X home user range such as this shutdown issue. That's all I can do as it's up to ESET to decide what to do with that information, even if I have to keep experiencing it on all Macs with ECS/ECSP so far.  :unsure:

9+ months to fix and still excuses from ESET,  add this to the fact that functions available in the windows product 2+ years ago are still not in the Mac version shows how low on their priorities Mac Home software is

I'm now looking at alternate suppliers for my Antivirus, once I find a suitable one I will cancel my subscriptions 

Yeah, a while back someone got in talks with me to get me a build that addressed the issue early on, but they've been quiet for over a week now. ESET really needs to get its act back together. Talking a big game about how much you appreciate the customer is just that; talk. Back it up with action.

• Most Valued Members

Just a note that the shutdown issue isn't resolved in the release of version 6.0.14.3.

Just a note that the shutdown issue isn't resolved in the release of version 6.0.14.3.

As expected, it's getting time to look for another supplier .. I mean this issue is only 9+ months old 

As expected, it's getting time to look for another supplier .. I mean this issue is only 9+ months old 

What, so you are not prepared to wait 9 months more :rolleyes:  :P I understand how you feel. This issue seems to take a lot of time to get fixed, I hope it get's fixed sooner rather than later.

I've now stopped using Cyber Security Pro

I had an issue over the weekend where iCloud could not authenticate .. I logged out of iCloud and back in and could not setup Mail or Notes

Disabling CSP had no effect, only once removed was I able to re-setup email/notes

This plus the long delays for fixes means I'm at the point of dropping ESET from all my devices, I might even just install Norton on the Windows PCs 

ESET pull your damned finger out and fix the Home CSP issues and bring it on-par with Smart Security 

• Most Valued Members

I had an issue over the weekend where iCloud could not authenticate .. I logged out of iCloud and back in and could not setup Mail or Notes

Disabling CSP had no effect, only once removed was I able to re-setup email/notes

This plus the long delays for fixes means I'm at the point of dropping ESET from all my devices, I might even just install Norton on the Windows PCs 

ESET pull your damned finger out and fix the Home CSP issues and bring it on-par with Smart Security 

Wanted to mention that I actually made a topic about the iCloud setup issue a week or two ago with no response: https://forum.eset.com/topic/5420-cyber-security-and-pro-preventing-mail-from-being-enabled-in-icloud-preferences/

In the future, you can boot into 'safe boot' by holding down shift during the Apple chime and setup works perfectly there (as there are no ESET processes/modules running) instead of uninstalling.

I can't use 6.0.14.3 as it's causing the exact same freezes and issues again that 6.0.14.0 fixed. More specifically:

Not sure what is going on.  :unsure:

Edited by planet

• Most Valued Members

I know I mentioned this in the past, but when Endpoint Security for OS X was released earlier in the year, it contained all of the fixes that Cyber Security needed (including this shutdown issue, random freezes, Safari freezes, Web Protection and Anti-Phishing plus Parental Control randomly no longer protecting, and more). There is currently a new beta build for Endpoint Security for OS X that seems to continue to resolve issues - it is much more stable and doesn't affect performance or functionality in any way unlike Cyber Security at the moment.

For those who are okay with using a beta product and want to try it out for a little bit to see how it differs from Cyber Security, you can sign up for an account at Centercode (https://eset.centercode.com/), uninstall Cyber Security for now and install this beta for a week or two to see the improvements for yourself.

If the upcoming Cyber Security build mentioned earlier is going to be similar to Endpoint Security for OS X, then it is going to be an absolutely huge improvement and will finally put to rest the several issues we've had for a while now.

If the upcoming Cyber Security build mentioned earlier is going to be similar to Endpoint Security for OS X, then it is going to be an absolutely huge improvement and will finally put to rest the several issues we've had for a while now.

I won't hold my breath

As you have said Endpoint Security for OS X was released earlier in the year and had the fixes, its months since that was released and we're still suffering the flaws identified in Cyber Security near a year ago

Time to move on I think

I was given a link to the Beta. But since the key I was given as well was invalid, it's been of no help to me. That was the other odd thing. I have CSP, but they gave me this Endpoint Security beta. Not sure if CSP is going away, but either way, I'm back to square 1. ESET's customer service to this end has been nothing short of miserable.

• Most Valued Members

I was given a link to the Beta. But since the key I was given as well was invalid, it's been of no help to me. That was the other odd thing. I have CSP, but they gave me this Endpoint Security beta. Not sure if CSP is going away, but either way, I'm back to square 1. ESET's customer service to this end has been nothing short of miserable.

There were issues with activation for the first few days but you should be able to activate it now with that key as it's been resolved. Unfortunately the beta key for EES seems to only last for a few weeks (got 11 days left), but I wanted to mention it for others to see the potential os ECSP since 6.0.14.0's release last year.

ECSP isn't going away, they are apparently just planning to release the next major build just before OS X El Capitan's release (most likely October). I'm assuming that if it hasn't been released yet, it is because they are still working on it. However, I am concerned after 6.0.14.3's release as previously said since it actually brought all previous issues back that 6.0.14.0 fixed and cannot be used on a Mac that I need to rely on (due to the freezes, protection not working, impact on browsing and more).

There is currently not a stable and reliable build of Cyber Security available for us.  :unsure:

Works fine here, I have it set to 1 second and shutdowns are now instant.

You do have to have gone through one reboot cycle for the new value to be picked up unless you unload/load the daemon.

• Most Valued Members

Works fine here, I have it set to 1 second and shutdowns are now instant.

You do have to have gone through one reboot cycle for the new value to be picked up unless you unload/load the daemon.

I've edited the plist file again and see how it goes for a couple of restarts. I do know that Endpoint Security has the shutdown issue fixed and still have the default 65 seconds on their plist file, so hopefully we don't need to edit the file when this is actually fixed for Cyber Security. What version of Cyber Security and OS X do you have?

Well I re-attempted to use the activation key that was given to me and it still fails to activate: 0x1000500d error. This Endpoint Security 6.1.7.0 that was supposed to address my faulty CSP 6.0.14.

• 3 weeks later...

The website was updated, and now hides the minor/bug fix version. You just choose from 5.0 or 6.0. So I have no idea if the website refresh is indicative of a new version going up. All I know is that for the VAST majority of my license period that was wasted with the Multi-Device product, my Mac has been without any form of anti-virus due to this damned bug. Getting lead around by ESET personnel after the fact so haphazzardly was just icing on the cake of what has been a pretty spectacular fumbling of customer service all around.