Surfing Freezes – Version 6?

• ESET Moderators

Hello Kerrie,

I'm sorry for your negative experience, his is not standard behavior for sure.

There is probably some conflict with other SW installed on your system.

Have you uninstalled Norton and any other security SW prior to installing ESET?

Can you please collect logs from your system with this script after you encounter any of mentioned issues, upload it to safe location and send my a download link with particular issues description?

We will check it.

Thank you.

• Most Valued Members

I recently switched from Norton to ESET, ironically on the basis of a couple of reviews I read which said ESET was better integrated into mac than other security software and worked more silently!!

I was the same, switching from Norton to ESET because of the same reasons.

Why would this be the case if I was not using a public wifi, (and have never used public wifi, in fact), and since i installed ESET I had only ever used my home wifi, which I had defined in ESET as 'home' profile.

That is unusual - when you first install Cyber Security Pro you are immediately asked what profile any current connections should go. By default, and until you set your own profile, ESET will use the Public profile which includes blocking the discovery rule that you mentioned. Clicking on cancel will also set it to Public by default. I'm assuming that you are using Airport to connect wireless for your Mac, which is why you were experiencing the issues. Why ESET didn't follow the Home profile if you have selected it though is very strange.

I would also like to clarify that Cyber Security Pro has predefined rules named 'Home', 'Public' and 'Work' - but doesn't relate to an actual public Wi-Fi, for example. So since Public is the default profile to use, that is why you see Public (and Work) in some cases.

After stumbling around I discovered there was an interactive mode on the firewall so I have been 'allowing' everything that has popped up as a 'saved rule' for the 'home' profile. Some of them turn out to be things like Dropbox trying to synch, or other apparent mac core processes, and one adobe updater. But in so doing, ESET seizes up until I respond to the popup so an in-depth scan i kicked off overnight stopped 1/4 way in after another mac process tried to access the internet and as I was not there to OK it, everything stopped happening.

By default ECSP uses an Automatic mode with the ability to also make custom rules for those few rules you need instead of trying to make rules for absolutely every connection. If you didn't want to keep allowing everything and just wanted your Airport connection to work, you are able to keep it on Automatic, and uncheck the specific Airport rule in the Public section to avoid future trouble again, whilst having everything else set automatically. If you want the interactivity for every connection then having it set to Interactive is fine, it just means you'll need to approve something yourself before a connection can proceed, which can cause some issues with some applications if the user doesn't respond with allowing or denying the rule.

Currently, to cut an even longer story short, I am at the point where if i want to use the internet I have to turn off all scheduled scans, and disable the ESET options for Real Time File System Protection and Network traffic filtering, in order to turn on my computer, have other software respond, (such as microsoft excel or word) or connect to the internet in safari. So basically, I can't surf the web AND have web protection on at the same time, and i can't have scheduled scans unless i want them to prevent me using anything else while they are on and they take a long time to get through. As a computer illiterate who only knows enough to be dangerous, I just want the defaults to work. Obviously this cannot be the case for ESET. SO can anyone tell me what settings I need to turn on or off in ESET to get the thing to BOTH protect me AND allow me to surf the internet in Safari?

Here's what I recommend:

• If you can recreate any issues for Peter immediately, please do so per Peters instructions before continuing.
  • Uninstall ESET Cyber Security Pro by following this KB Article: How do I uninstall or reinstall ESET Cyber Security or ESET Cyber Security Pro? up to Step 5.
  • Restart your Mac.
  • Redownload ESET Cyber Security Pro from the ESET website.
  • Close any open Applications as possible, including Safari.
  • Install ESET Cyber Security Pro with the default settings (with your decision for Potentially Unwanted Programs).
  • After installation is complete, you will immediately be presented with a dialogue box to select a profile for your connection. Do NOT press cancel, select 'Home' and press OK.
  • Activate ESET Cyber Security Pro, and let the program update and complete a start up scan on it's own. You will know it's done when the ESET icon in the Menu Bar (top right of Mac) is present, instead of a coloured circle with a spinning indicator (Note: After updating, the ESET icon will appear for about ten seconds before going back to the spinning icon - this is transitioning from the update to a startup scan and should wait until the scan is finished before doing anything else with your Mac).
  • To temporarily prevent further issues, click on the ESET icon > Preferences... > Firewall. Change the profile in the 'Rules' tab to Public and uncheck the rule regarding Denying the AirPort Discovery Base. Do NOT set the Firewall mode to Interactive though.
  • Close all ESET windows and restart your Mac.

After restarting your Mac, see if you have any issues with what you described earlier. If you feel as though everything is going great, go back to the rules and enable the rule regarding AirPort Discovery Base in the Public section. Finally, if you really want to use the Interactive firewall so you can control specifically what can be allowed or denied, you can do so now.

If you are still experiencing issues after this, please follow Peters instructions for ESET.

Edited by planet

Thank you Peter and Planet very much for your replies!

I hope I am going to have time to deal with them, but part of my problem is I am so busy that I just wanted an antivirus/firewall that supposedly was better integrated with/designed for Mac OS so that I can 'just quickly' do stuff on my laptop! (as apparently the reviews I read had found. I now wonder if those reviews were v5 rather than v6…...) and currently I have to factor in the possibility that I have to deal with some ESET generated problem just to do normal things. So I may not get time to pursue this further until after Christmas/New year.

Before I switched from Norton, I used the uninstaller to get rid of Norton, so I am not trying to use both at once. And in any case, the demo version of ESET worked fine for the trial month. It is a bit of a rip-off if you are not really trialling the thing you are about to purchase when you think you are.

Regarding the wifi setup, I used whatever the mac default method (in OSX 10.8.5) is to connect via wifi to our home modem, so if that is Airport then I take your word for it. But I don't actually think that connecting to the home modem via wifi is the problem because I was able to print a document at the same time that Safari was not connecting to the internet. (by that I mean that refreshing the google home screen in safari came up with a grey mac screen stating that i did not have internet connection, and no other websites were opening either) so it took me a while to figure out it might have been ESET. I thought at first that there was something wrong with the ADSL2 connection external to the modem. But the problem was corrected as soon as I unchecked the red block on the ESET 'public' wifi rule! (My macbook pro talks, via wifi and the netgear home modem, to our printer, which runs off our home desktop PC which runs windows7.)

As to whether I would have cancelled a query to define the home wifi as ‘home’ zone, I am almost certain I would have taken the opportunity to define it as ‘home’ and not dismissed, but I cant actually remember at what point in the procedings I was given the question to define it as ‘home’ zone, so I cant be absolutely certain, but I do remember defining it as ‘home’ at some point, when prompted. And when I was trying to figure out what was getting blocked I saw a screen under Firewall that stated "Profiles used on Network Interfaces / WiFi: Home "

Which then prompted me to find the rules and as I poked around and discovered the other zones for ‘public’ and ‘work’ I noted that there were no red blocked rules for either ‘home’ nor ‘work’ but there was one rule blocked for ‘public’ and that just happened to have the same name as the event in the log that was denied. So when I unchecked the box that selected that rule, the internet was immediately restored. This made me suspicious and I wondered whether there was some secret wifi connection going on that I was unaware of, but you would know whether that is possible better than me. I have never logged into any of our neighbors wifi if ever it has popped up as visible. I have logged into relatives wifi when I’ve visited them, but that was when I still had Norton and I defined those as ‘travelling’ or something similar. I forget what choices were available in Norton.

Anyway, currently I have allowed as new ‘home’ rules quite a lot of connections in and out and I followed your advice and put it back on automatic. Now it seems to be not preventing me from accessing the internet anymore and it seems to not be hanging itself trying to update through a blocked connection any more. So it is annoying that I had to go through that process, but it might have resolved whatever the essential thing was that everything else was log-jammed up behind.

The main problem now is that even though the smart scan I kicked off yesterday says it was completed, if I open up the log, it didn’t scan very many files compared even to previous interrupted scans (although they were probably deep scans??) and there is a long list of files there that all have a [4] at the end indicating that “Object cannot be opened. It may be in use by another application or operating system.”

The trouble with that is that I deliberately closed all my open apps and kicked that scan off when I didn’t need to use the computer and some of the files are for things like Canon scan and Preview and other software that I know definitely wasn’t open at the time.

I have needed to use my computer so I haven’t done it yet, but I will kick off a deep scan tonight with automatic setting instead of interactive and see if that works. I am choosing ‘Macintosh HD’ for that and unchecking the 'Mobile Backups' (I don't have a backup disk connected. I only connect it when I do an actual backup about once a month, using time machine).

By the way, for the in depth scan i go through custom scan and chose 'local drive' from the drop down and then check the box for Macintosh HD and uncheck the box for 'mobile backups'. Is that what I should be doing? I have a guest account on the laptop so I want everything scanned, not just stuff on my profile.

Also, ESET has crashed a couple of times when I’ve been trying to open log files (so the icon disappears from the top menu bar altogether.) So I have restarted my computer to get it open again, or just directly opened the app in the applications folder.

I haven’t reproduced the error preventing me saving a MS Word document to a subfolder again, though.

If I do uninstall ESET and fresh install, will it forget all the rules I’ve now allowed for ‘home’ profile and will I have to go through all of that again?

ie put it on interactive until all my apps have had a chance to phone home and be manually ‘allowed’ before putting it onto auto again so that it can complete a scan without interrupting for an approval?

Also, will I need a new key to open or authenticate it or anything?

If I get the chance I will figure out if I can generate a logfile the way you suggest, Peter, if another major problem happens. So far I have downloaded it but I haven’t run it. I’m presuming it will prompt me with what to do because I have no idea otherwise?

Anyway thanks for your help thus far. I am pretty disappointed that this is so difficult for a dunce like me. At least Norton worked and custom settings were understandable, even if it did slow my machine down.

Kerrie

• Most Valued Members

Hi Kerrie,

Usually with ESET Cyber Security Pro you are able to install it and leave everything as is after setting the profile for the Network. The fact that you are having issues as you've mentioned is very unusual. The trial and full versions are also the same file and product, the only difference being the activation.

With your Wi-Fi setup, it seems that you don't actually need to use the AirPort Base Discovery rule after all (since you need to have an AirPort Base device), so why it's becoming the cause is also very unusual.

Since you've switched back to automatic without uninstalling ECSP or setting all firewall rules back to default, you may have some rules you've previously set that are interfering with normal use (like Safari).

With ESET crashing, it is something I have noticed as well and have mentioned in a topic - hopefully they are working on it for a fix in a later update.

You can export your current rules and other settings if you wish, just follow the export instructions here so a file can be saved and imported in the future: How can I import or export my ESET Cyber Security or Cyber Security Pro configuration settings using an .xml file?

I then highly recommend at this point to follow the numbered instructions in my previous post (please back up as required just in case), with a added step after number 3:

By doing this, we will have ensured that all Norton programs are fully removed at this point to avoid any conflict.

When you reinstall, you can activate ECSP with the same username and password provided to you when you first activated.

After completing the steps, you will have everything set as the default, along with an automatic firewall that should never prompt you for a connection permission again (Only asking for a profile for every new connection). It also automatically scans your Mac after every definition update and keeps you protected automatically in real-time. You can initiate your own in-depth scans simply by clicking on 'Deep Scan' in the Scan section of the program, which will scan your whole Mac for you.

If you start having issues again, continue with Peter and ESET to work towards a resolution as it is quite unusual.

With the file from Peter that you've downloaded, you simply double click on the ZIP file to extract it, and then double click on the extracted file.

Sorry that you are having these issues, usually ESET Cyber Security Pro does not have this much trouble with a Mac.

Edited by planet

Hi again, Planet.

Thanks so much for being so patient.

And lucky me, to get an unprecedented problem! (Series of problems, actually). I will do as you suggest but I think it is going to have to be after Christmas now.

And just for the record, I didn't change any default settings before I started having problems. I only started changing things to try and sort out the problems. Maybe something went astray in the installation so I will reinstall it, after using the Norton removal tool (which I'm assuming checks for things left behind with the uninstaller. But now that i have allowed so many rules it is no longer (so far) interfering with my internet connection or interfering with programs phoning home, even with automatic firewall setting. Main problem is I don't trust it to be protecting my machine the way it should. I am about to kick off the deep scan to see what happens with that and will spend more time with it when i get a chance.

Thanks again,

Kerrie

• 2 weeks later...

Hello !

Sometimes switching from one security solution to another is a hit or miss as far as successful conversion.

There are always bad coding practices and/or glitches if you will, that cause uninstalls and installs to miss or omit certain instructions.

In comparison a machine with a security solution pre-loaded, or with none at all, and a fresh osx install. Starting the first installation of a security product will be the smoothest at best due to lack of residual files or conflicts that could arise due to other software.

I hope this helps to curb your unfortunate experience, trying to convert to a better security solution. I am confident of this. :)

Edited by Arakasi

• 3 weeks later...
  • Most Valued Members

A small update regarding this topic - with ESET Cyber Security Pro 6.0.14 (and all current modules updated), as well as OS X Yosemite 10.10.1, I have not experienced any browsing freezes for a while now.  :)

Edited by planet

• 6 months later...
  • Most Valued Members

Unfortunately I've started to experience this issue again in 6.0.14.3.

I'm seeing this again too.

Started about 3 weeks ago and now I have to restart the eset-proxy process every time the Mac wakes from a prolonged sleep period.

It is extremely annoying and disappointing.

I have had freezes during surfing at least since 5.0.115.0 (my memory doesn't go back further). None of the v6 releases solved this issue. Highly annoying.

To prevent having to hard-reset my iMac, I constantly keep the Activity Monitor and the event log of ESET Cyber Security open. Whenever a "Protoscan Proxy Agent - Cannot write to socket: Broken pipe" appears I have to do a "sudo killall -9 esets_proxy" in Terminal. This happens several times a day.

Version 6.0.14.3 released recently didn't solve this issue.

• 1 month later...
  • Most Valued Members

Could anyone else report how this issue is with version 6.1.12.0? It should no longer be occurring.  :)

I am using 6.1.12.0 on a Macbook Pro running 10.7.5 and all the delays and freezes are still very much present!!!  At this point, I am thinking eset is a POS.  Pull up the activity monitor and there are two copies of eset_daemon running and two copies of Eset Cyber Security running and one copy of the other four pieces of eset junk running.  Even when there is no obvious activity (i.e.- scans, other apps running, internet browsing, etc) it is common to see one or both of the eset_daemons running around or above 100% cpu which means response time for doing ANYTHING else is very pathetic.  My solution to get any work done is to use the activity monitor (and you have to view All Processes to see what I am talking about) and Quit the eset cpu hogs since there is no option to quit eset.  Guess this means I am running naked and unprotected until my next system reboot.

I should also add to my previous post that upon searching on other boards that the same issue is being reported with Avast and Norten. When the AV software is removed all is well. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Most Valued Members

I have 6.1.12.0 and El Capitain OSX 10.11 and the similar problems are happening again. Surfing delays and now incomplete pages.

Is this still occurring after updating El Capitan to 10.11.1 (Should be available as an update in the App Store)? If so, try creating a test user account and use Safari logged in to that account to see if you are experiencing the issues there (Don't forget to delete the test account after trying it out).

Edited by planet

This is still occurring after upgrading to OSX 10.11.1 and I believe it got worse, usually I have freezing issues after serval hours (lets say 4 hours).

But yesterday after the upgrade I had the problem within 30 min and twice in a row.

I'n not sure what happens with a different user, I just ended up uninstalling Eset for now and everything is good again.

I'm running currently a evaluation version which is about to end, so for now I'll wait purchasing a licence till this is fixed.

"Is this still occurring after updating El Capitan to 10.11.1 (Should be available as an update in the App Store)? If so, try creating a test user account and use Safari logged in to that account to see if you are experiencing the issues there (Don't forget to delete the test account after trying it out)."

Installed 10.11.1 today and everything seems fine. Thanks Planet

• 4 weeks later...

I have 6.1.12 and El Capitan (10.11.1) and also have this issue. Every 10-15 minutes I have to kill the eset proxy or I can not browse anymore.

I have 6.1.12.0 and El Capitain OSX 10.11 and the similar problems are happening again. Surfing delays and now incomplete pages.

Is this still occurring after updating El Capitan to 10.11.1 (Should be available as an update in the App Store)? If so, try creating a test user account and use Safari logged in to that account to see if you are experiencing the issues there (Don't forget to delete the test account after trying it out).

Returned in 6.1.12.0 with OSX 10.11.1? 

Sometimes http (not https!!!) traffic seems to be blocked. When I then check the Eset logs, I see the following errors:

23/11/15 19:11:22 Protoscan Proxy Agent Cannot get socket address: Invalid argument root
23/11/15 19:11:22 Protoscan Proxy Agent Cannot get socket address: Invalid argument root

When I go into a terminal window and find the proxy daemon and kill it, all will be fine again for a few minutes:
ps -ax | grep esets_proxy
Result => 2829 ??         0:19.47 /Applications/.esets/Contents/MacOS/esets_proxy

First number is task ID, then I kill that task:
sudo kill -9 2829

Now I can surf again for a few minutes.

Although I still use Snow Leopard, I get frequent freezes while surfing. I am on Cyber Security 6.1.12.0.

I constantly keep my ESET event log open to catch: ESET Daemon - Cannot write to socket: Broken pipe (and ESET Daemon - Child process proxy[xxxxx] did not handle signal 5, restart in 0 seconds).

To prevent a system freeze and a required forced power down, I restart the eset_proxy through "sudo killall -9 esets_proxy" in Terminal.

@Gabrie: I don't think your "ps -ax | grep esets_proxy" is required. A "sudo killall -9 esets_proxy" will suffice.

CSP v6.1.12.0 and OS 10.11.1

Brand new MBA. Same issues as expressed herein.

Erased HD. Fresh install. Same issues as expressed herein.

Uninstall ESET. Immediately surfing works--no connection lost (safari), no ERR_SOCKET_NOT_CONNECTED (chrome), no web page not available (opera)

On old computer, currently testing disabled LiveGrid, disabled TSE for web access protection.

I can confirm that the following are the only two methods that solve the issue-- OS 10.11.1, CSP 6.1.12.0:

"sudo killall -9 sets_proxy"

uninstalling CSP

Changing zone from public to home, disabling threatSense, disabling LiveGrid, disabling web access protection, or any of the OSX Yosemite 'connection reset' suggestions do NOT help.

UPDATE #1: 

ESET 2nd level support confirms that this is a known issue. We spent time yesterday collecting and sending logs. They will notify when an update to the issue is available. Until then, keep an eye out for any websites that have more of an issue than others: http or https. Is there any kind of trigger? Is there a particular duration between killing the proxy and next disconnect? Is there a certain number of internet connections (i.e. browser tabs, email client calls) that cause/overwhelm the proxy?

FYI, repeated error messages in Console:

15.11.28 06:50:38,000 kernel[0]: esets_pfw: ERROR[kernel_task]: Couldn't set proxy socket for relation
15.11.28 06:50:38,059 esets[1336]: warning[16c00000]: Protoscan Proxy Agent: Cannot accept connection: Too many open files
15.11.28 06:50:38,060 esets[1336]: warning[16c00000]: Protoscan Proxy Agent: Cannot accept connection: Read error

UPDATE #2:
ESET has a new proxy module that appears to solve this issue. Not sure why they haven't yet pushed out a new CSP version that contains the module.
Edited by lllusion

• 2 months later...