Banking & Payment protection

When i open Banking & Payment protection it opens Internet explorer when my default browser is firefox, If i have the firefox browser open then open Banking & Payment protection it then opens firefox browser any help if this makes sence.

I reported the same problem, not only Firefox but also other browsers (e.g. google chrome). By default, Eset only opens the internet explorer, and to run a secured browser, e.g. firefox or chrome, you need to start it first and then turn on the safe Eset browser.

Only microsoft edge works fine

There are two options to manually start B&PP mode. One is via the like provided desktop icon. The other is from within the Eset GUI:

Eset_BPP.thumb.png.310de5a144fef39cbc0bf9e177e71c8c.png

Do both above options open B&PP using IE11? If only one option opens IE11, which one is it?

Both versions work the same and open Internet Explorer.
I will add that I used Win10 21H1 before and it was OK, I formatted my computer, installed the latest 21H2 and have had a problem ever since.
On a laptop with Windows 11 the same problem, even on a laptop I switched eset to initial updates and the problem continued.

As I wrote in my post, I have browsers installed without administrator rights.

Yes i can comfirm this, both ways of opening Banking & Payment protection open Internet explorer, even though firefox is set as the default browser.

4 hours ago, Tp6ojNfYgWweHa said:

I will add that I used Win10 21H1 before and it was OK, I formatted my computer, installed the latest 21H2 and have had a problem ever since.

My best guess is something internally within Win 10 is changing the default browser to IE11.

I would try the following. This is "no big deal" since Microsoft is removing IE11 from Win 10 in March.

2. Remove Internet Explorer

Internet Explorer, while obsolete, is still a part of Windows 10. It also houses certain internet settings that you cannot easily access from any other app. It may be the reason the browser keeps resetting.

1. Open the Settings app (Win+I keyboard shortcut).
  2. Go to Apps & features.
  3. Click Optional features.
  4. Select Internet Explorer.
  5. Click Uninstall.

https://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/default-browser-keeps-resetting/

Edited by itman

Now i have removed Internet Explorer following the instructions above, now Banking & Payment protection opens microsoft edge, and yes firefox is the default browser according to firefox's settings.

21 minutes ago, modcon said:

Now i have removed Internet Explorer following the instructions above, now Banking & Payment protection opens microsoft edge, and yes firefox is the default browser according to firefox's settings.

I suspected this since by default in Win 10, Microsoft will set default browser to Edge.

At this point, all I can recommend is to uninstall Eset, reboot, and install Eset again. Make sure you export your Eset settings prior to uninstall if you have made customization's to Eset default settings. You can import these settings after your reinstall Eset.

If an Eset reinstall doesn't fix B&PP opening using your set Win 10 default browser; i.e. Firefox, I am out of fix ideas.

Edited by itman

Reinstalling eset does not help, the problem occurs on different computers, on different systems (win10 and win 11), on fresh Windows installations after disk format. Anyway, in my post it was confirmed that the problem occurs, only silence.

When Eset settings are exported, they are converted to XML format. Below are my current Eset settings in regards to what browser B&PP should be using:

<ITEM NAME="BrowsersList" DELETE="1">
      <NODE NAME="1" TYPE="string" VALUE="c:\program files (x86)\microsoft\edge\application\msedge.exe" />
      <NODE NAME="2" TYPE="string" VALUE="c:\program files\mozilla firefox\firefox.exe" />
     </ITEM>
     <NODE NAME="redirector" TYPE="number" VALUE="1" />
     <NODE NAME="enhancedMemoryProtection" TYPE="number" VALUE="1" />
     <NODE NAME="keyboardProtection" TYPE="number" VALUE="1" />
     <NODE NAME="extensionInstallationMode" TYPE="number" VALUE="1" />
     <NODE NAME="secureAllBrowsers" TYPE="number" VALUE="0" />
     <NODE NAME="advancedLoggingEnabled" TYPE="number" VALUE="0" />
     <ITEM NAME="SecureAllBrowsersList" DELETE="1" />
    </ITEM>

Don't fool around with these settings! I posted this for discussion purposes only.

The above shows that when Eset was originally installed, Edge was the Win 10 default browser. The default browser was subsequently changed to Firefox. Eset then changed its settings to reflect this by deleting the reference to Name = "1".

Open a support request with your Eset in-country distributor and hopefully, they can resolve this for you.

• ESET Staff

BPP module 1258 with fix for default browser is on prerelease. Please try to update from prerelase server (or wait few days for full release) and let us know, if it fix your issue.