Delay error messages on startup request

I find that eSet is always to quick to report an error that is due to the fact that it is active before the internet connection has been established. I get fed up  with getting messages about not being able to reach live servers or failed to update product when I know that if I wait a few seconds for the wi-fi to sort itself out the message will usually go away. This false error message makes users feel insecure and there is a "cry wolf" aspect that if there is a real error, it might be ignored.

The ability to set a delay on the error reporting message system to check for live internet before flashing up warnings would be helpful. Even something as simple such as "waiting for live internet connection before checking" would be better than sending unhelpful error messages.

Does anybody agree with me?

I would like to submit the addition of a change in this respect as a feature request but am not sure how to do it. I realise that the anti virus protection is needed immediately on start up but unnecessary premature warnings are a nuisance and frighten users that they have a problem. Just a message "waiting for internet connection" is more than adequate?

Similarly, I am in hospital using a public wi-fi network. I would love to be able to turn of the unsecure Wi-Fi network message that pops up every time I open a browser. Surely if I have ESET securing all browsers I have an element of protection anyway?

• Most Valued Members
On 12/4/2021 at 11:54 AM, chrisj said:

I find that eSet is always to quick to report an error that is due to the fact that it is active before the internet connection has been established. I get fed up  with getting messages about not being able to reach live servers or failed to update product when I know that if I wait a few seconds for the wi-fi to sort itself out the message will usually go away. This false error message makes users feel insecure and there is a "cry wolf" aspect that if there is a real error, it might be ignored.

The ability to set a delay on the error reporting message system to check for live internet before flashing up warnings would be helpful. Even something as simple such as "waiting for live internet connection before checking" would be better than sending unhelpful error messages.

Does anybody agree with me?

image.png.7034017dfe2fbce11176ef7bf1c20855.png

You can hide it not to show you when there is trouble to update , but anyway that is normal behaviour from Windows and it's expected all applications to give back a message that there is no internet to do their job

Since ESET will attempt to update instantly when it's possible for it.

I don't have a problem with the "failed to update" message. That is fairly infrequent. The main one is the failure to reach ESET's live grid servers. I have several people locally that I help with computers as part of a village project to spread computing use. Many of these have bought an ESET product based on my telling them what I use. The LIVE Server message is the one I get most calls about from worried users.  It wouldn't be so bad if once the connection was made a notification appeared cancelling the warning. Instead it just remains in the notification area. I know that the desktop icon changes to green but that doesn't tend to reassure people who have seen the warning. I am talking about some vulnerable people here who are nervous enough about going online as it is.

I don't mind what it is as there are various ways to tackle it.  Some form of positive notification that you are now fully protected to cancel the negative one is needed.

• Most Valued Members
1 hour ago, chrisj said:

I don't have a problem with the "failed to update" message. That is fairly infrequent. The main one is the failure to reach ESET's live grid servers. I have several people locally that I help with computers as part of a village project to spread computing use. Many of these have bought an ESET product based on my telling them what I use. The LIVE Server message is the one I get most calls about from worried users.  It wouldn't be so bad if once the connection was made a notification appeared cancelling the warning. Instead it just remains in the notification area. I know that the desktop icon changes to green but that doesn't tend to reassure people who have seen the warning. I am talking about some vulnerable people here who are nervous enough about going online as it is.

I don't mind what it is as there are various ways to tackle it.  Some form of positive notification that you are now fully protected to cancel the negative one is needed.

You can post feature requests via the link bellow. A good idea might be to open a support ticket via the website, as there's a guarantee that someone from Eset will answer.

You can disable the alert but the problem with that is it wouldn't alert if there was an actual issue. As mentioned, a possibility eset could look into is some kind of a delay setting e.g. wait a set amount of seconds before checking for a connection

Edited by peteyt

I agree having Liveguard is a positive step but not if it "cries wolf" by flagging up an error just because the internet connection is not yet up and running.

I have followed the advice of peteyt and submitted a support ticket request on the subject.

• Administrators

I've disconnected the computer from network, rebooted it but didn't get any notification about failed update. When running update manually without Internet connection, it takes about 1,5 min. while the updater goes through all update servers and eventually reports an error.  If you disconnect network while browsing, the browser reports an error immediately.

Even if ESET fails to update, it actively monitors changes in the network adapter and attempts to update immediately when a connection has been established.

How long does it take to establish Internet connection on your machine? Do you need to log in, e.g. through a captive portal first?

At the moment I am using a hospital public Wi-Fi so yes, there is an intermediate process involved. To be fair it is not the message about a failed update that is the problem. That does not appear for quite a while, as you suggest. It is the message about being unable to reach the Livegrid servers. Interestingly if I reboot with wi-fi disabled the message does not appear so there must be a check for an active internet connection. It must be down to the delays involved in establishing a connection or something similar and it does not happen every time. I can't reproduce the message at will. I am not particularly concerned for myself but he confidence of friends who phone me to ask what should they do about this message! At the moment I tell them to ignore it as it will go away automatically and it always does.

I had never seen the message myself before as I am usually ethernet connected. I only started seeing it when circumstances forced me into using a wireless connection.