ESET 4.5 for Exchange - can't get it to filter spam please help

Guest Jason hauser
Go to solution Solved by PatrickL,

Guest Jason hauser

i'm receiving about 10,000 spam emails a day. I have used the setup guide and can't seem to get the spam to filter. it seems to be getting the viruses out of the email but the spam is killing me.  HELP SOMEONE PLEASE! I managed to setup 4.2 and have all my spam quarantined to 1 box called spam@xxxxxxxx.com but with 4.5 i can't get it to filter except for about 5 emails an hour. i've adjusted my scl ratings. please help.

this didnt help and I'm really struggling with spam.  i'm getting tons of spam thru the eset filters and i'm not even sure how to check what has been blocked and what hasn't.  please help.

I've installed the ESMX 4.5 on SBS2011 and I can't seem to get it to filter spam.  It seems that it is scanning things but not filtering anything from the users INBOX. Many messages i've received look like this.. Hello

__________ Information from ESET Mail Security, version of virus signature database 8432 (20130610) __________

The message was checked by ESET Mail Security.

part000.txt - is OK

hxxp://www.eset.com

ANY help would be appreciated.

• ESET Moderators

Hello,

I understand one of ESET's support engineers has contacted you via email.  Were they able to assist you further with this issue?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

at this point i have unistalled 4.5 and reinstalled 4.2.  it still doesnt look like my spam filter is working but i am blocking more .zip attachments than with 4.5.  i have not been contacted via email by anyone as of yet.

so currently with 4.3 setup. i'm scanning email for virus but not scanning for spam.  my mail server antispam protection has 100% of 145 mail messages not scanned. Please help.

• ESET Moderators

Hello,

According to the support engineer, the phone number we had on file for you is out of date. The support engineer who contacts you will get your customer record straightened out as well.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I have yet to be contacted by anyone, THIS IS A HIGH PRIORITY. IF I DON'T GET THIS FIXED I'M GONNA LOSE MY JOB.  I DON'T KNOW WHY IT WON'T WORK. I HAVE IT WORKING ON ANOTHER SYSTEM. GRRRRRR

• Administrators

Antispam scanning works only if MS Exchange is installed in the Edge Transport role. Also check the ESET Event log for possible errors and send us the output of running the command Get-TransportAgent in the Exchange Management Shell.

• Former ESET Employees

Please check your PM box. As soon as we have you up to date info, our agent can call you and walk you through resolving this ASAP.

• Administrators

It'd be best to talk to a customer care representative. If the MS Exchange server is actually working in the Edge transport role, I'd suggest the following:

- untick the Start transport agent box under Server protection -> Microsoft Exchange server and confirm the setting by clicking OK

- under Tools -> Log files, set the Minimum logging verbosity to Diagnostic records

- under Server protection -> Log files, enable Synchronized writing without using cache as well as Log diagnostic information

- tick the Start transport agent box under Server protection -> Microsoft Exchange server and confirm the setting by clicking OK. Wait until the tray icon stops spinning (Updating transport agent status). It takes some time for MS Exchange to register changes in the settings.

- receive some spam email

- disable diagnostic logging

We'll need the following stuff for further analysis:

- spamlog.dat, warnlog.dat, XmonCom.dat from the C:\ProgramData\ESET\ESET Mail Security\Logs folder

- SysInspector log from the Exchange server

- output of running the following commands in the Exchange Management Shell: Get-TransportPipeline, Get-TransportAgent

- information that would help us identify spam emails in the logs (if also clean emails have been received)

Under Antispam protection -> Transport Agent, there's a box Use Exchange Server whitelists to automatically bypass antispam protection. Check out if this setting could affect spam filtering in your case.

• ESET Insiders

Please report back your findings, as i may be experiencing the same issue. All mails are flagged af "not scannet" in the antispam statitics. It is not critical for us, becaurse we do also have hosted antispam.

• Solution

Gladly! The changes I made were to his XML file and reimported. He was failing because Exchange was marking the email as not needing to be scanned by antispam. The user will look into that, but I enabled scanning of securezone emails. That will allow the software to scan them anyway.