Eset Online Scanner Results for Norton 360 User

ForceRecon

I get this message when testing with ESET.

8/31/2021 6:30:42 AM
Files scanned: 294470
Detected files: 1
Cleaned files: 0
Total scan time 00:32:07
Scan status: Finished
C:\Program Files\Norton Security\Engine\22.21.6.53\NCrypt.exe    a variant of Win64/CoinMiner.RH potentially unwanted application    error while cleaning (Access denied)

Should I assume this is just a false positive and that since I am using a competitors program on this machine it is probably incorrect.

Thanks...

Why are you doing an online scan with another competitive product. Is Norton not working correctly. Eset likely does not have NCrypt.exe whitelisted as safe.

I just like to check other products that are out there.. This one happens to be something I used for a long time before moving to Norton360. I was just curious.. 

Just now, ForceRecon said:

I just like to check other products that are out there.. This one happens to be something I used for a long time before moving to Norton360. I was just curious.. 

Why did you move from Eset to Norton360. 

1 hour ago, ForceRecon said:

Should I assume this is just a false positive and that since I am using a competitors program on this machine it is probably incorrect.

Actually, it is a coin miner; but one employed by design:

What's new in Norton 22.21.6.51?

• Norton Crypto - A safer way to turn your idle PC into a money maker.
    A safer and easier way to mine crypto and store your earnings in the cloud more securely. For more information, please visit Introducing Norton Crypto blog.

https://community.norton.com/en/blogs/product-service-announcements/norton-security-2221651-windows-now-available

Edited by itman

25 minutes ago, itman said:

Wow, Norton360 comes with Crypto Mining, are they paying your power bill. I guess this is opt in, but how can such a program want to keep your PC active potentially increasing the chance of attack. i.e. the more uptime the more chances of being hit. If I buy an AV/Internet Security program the last thing I want is it running flat out when I'm not there.

well, then I guess fortunately for you ESET is your cup of tea.  There is always the option to pause it if you don't want to be part of it. Up to the user. I personally want to give it a try.. I always like seeing new things in a product.

In the same respect. I do prefer buying a product that does its job. Eset does just that.

A long time ago someone said to me if you want to print something buy a printer, don't buy a printer, copier, fax and scanner all in one machine.. Buy the product that does what it is suppose to do well and does it. ESET will always be my printer.

• Most Valued Members
7 hours ago, ForceRecon said:

well, then I guess fortunately for you ESET is your cup of tea.  There is always the option to pause it if you don't want to be part of it. Up to the user. I personally want to give it a try.. I always like seeing new things in a product.

In the same respect. I do prefer buying a product that does its job. Eset does just that.

A long time ago someone said to me if you want to print something buy a printer, don't buy a printer, copier, fax and scanner all in one machine.. Buy the product that does what it is suppose to do well and does it. ESET will always be my printer.

I presume you mean you use norton 360 and eset online - if you are using eset desktop, it's not advised to run another AV with realtime protection enabled due to clashes