Internet Download Accelerator 6.21 Why is it a Virus?

Hello ESET forum users 😄

i am wanting to install Internet Download Accelerator and i see ESET says its a Virus. 😢

is it safe to uninstall ESET internet security and install the program?

Please Let me know :)

bye.

15 minutes ago, deanpepler1991 said:

i am wanting to install Internet Download Accelerator and i see ESET says its a Virus.

Post the link of the web site you are attempting to download from.

• ESET Insiders

And as itman said, this isn't being blocked by Eset, I couldn't download the file either in Opera, Chrome or Edge. Edge in developer mode was all that worked. It's being blocked through the browsers so it's likely the site has been blacklisted.

• ESET Insiders

According to sucuri it's not blacklisted, not sure what is causing issues with downloading. As to your original question, whether you download it is up to you but I wouldn't recommend uninstalling EIS just to install IDA. If you wish to use IDA just hit ignore on the detection, there's no need to uninstall EIS.

52 minutes ago, NewbyUser said:

And as itman said, this isn't being blocked by Eset, I couldn't download the file either in Opera, Chrome or Edge. Edge in developer mode was all that worked. It's being blocked through the browsers so it's likely the site has been blacklisted.

I would say there is an issue with the format of the file attempting to be downloaded. That is what the Firefox alert I posted is stating. The browsers need to be able to read the file to download it. This would also be indicative of suspect download activity.

Edited by itman

• Most Valued Members
1 hour ago, itman said:

I just tried to download from this web site. See below screen shot. Firefox prevented the download; not Eset:

Eset_download.thumb.png.eeefebade374a61938d8a33be402495b.png

This happens when ESET takes something from Firefox's hands, so that message will show up.

Are you sure Firefox blocked it and not ESET?

1 hour ago, Nightowl said:

This happens when ESET takes something from Firefox's hands, so that message will show up.

Are you sure Firefox blocked it and not ESET?

Nothing recorded in any Eset logs about detecting or blocking the download. What was strange is I did receive the audio for an Eset alert but nothing appeared Eset alert wise.

Also as a FYI, Firefox is now detecting the AMTSO Desktop Clouldcar download test and stopping it prior to Eset's detection of it. Also nothing recorded by Eset about detecting this:

Eset_Clouldcar.thumb.png.08880fa7dcc89860ab3b4bd14e82d006.png

Edited by itman

• Most Valued Members

As an alternative Free Download Manager might be good - it's a free although a bit basic, but as far as I'm aware not detected as anything e.g malware or PUA

More interesting behavior.

Went to MajorGeeks web site and attempted to download Internet Download Accelerator from there. In this instance, Eset threw the two PUA alerts:

Eset_MajorGeeks.thumb.png.9284023e787c0d472651505809d1af0c.png

So I believe what FireFox detected on attempted download from the vendor's web site was indeed a malformed, etc. download.

Edited by itman