EIS Desktop Notification

• ESET Insiders

Hi,

Am getting this desktop notification everytime I logged or boot into my PC.

' Initialization of Windows Security Center Handeler Failed'

1.png

I tried to get further info from the LOG file but there is no other deatils mentioned.

2.png

I am using the latest EIS v14.0.22.0

3.png

with Windows 10 Pro v20H2 19042.630

4.png

One thing I must inform, I removed the Windows Security Center (Windows Defender) from the ISO that I install (because I use ESET for security, not rely on Windows Defender Security), so is that could be the reason for this error? If yes, then requesting the devs to fix this

Here is the screenshot of my Windows Settings page

5.png

Edited by SM03

38 minutes ago, SM03 said:

One thing I must inform, I removed the Windows Security Center (Windows Defender) from the ISO that I install (because I use ESET for security, not rely on Windows Defender Security), so is that could be the reason for this error?

If you actually removed Windows/Microsoft Security Center, that is the reason for the alert. It is a critical component of the Win 10 OS and needs to be installed and be functional. It not only controls Windows/Microsoft Defender and firewall use or non-use when a third party anti-virus solution is installed, but many other critical internal security components such as ; Win account, app & brower (exploit), and device security protection. It also monitors device performance and health status.

Edited by itman

• ESET Insiders
21 minutes ago, itman said:

If you actually removed Windows/Microsoft Security Center, that is the reason for the alert. It is a critical component of the Win 10 OS and needs to be installed and be functional. It not only controls Windows/Microsoft Defender and firewall use or non-use when a third party anti-virus solution is installed, but many other critical internal security components such as ; Win account, app & brower (exploit), and device security protection. It also monitors device performance and health status.

Is there any way to hide/defer this notification? 

Reinstall\repair Win 10 20H2 to get Microsoft Security Center fully functional.

If your desire is to fully disable Microsoft Defender, it appears this solution: https://www.sordum.org/9480/defender-control-v1-6/ still works for Win 2004 and 20H2. Note it is not recommended to permanently uninstall Defender since it serves as a back up AV real-time solution in case Eset's real-time protection was disabled somehow or malfunctioned.

• ESET Staff
1 hour ago, SM03 said:

Is there any way to hide/defer this notification? 

3 hours ago, SM03 said:

If yes, then requesting the devs to fix this

TLDR; No.

We are required by Microsoft to communicate with WSC in order to be an antimalware provider.

• ESET Insiders
1 hour ago, itman said:

Reinstall\repair Win 10 20H2 to get Microsoft Security Center fully functional.

If your desire is to fully disable Microsoft Defender, it appears this solution: https://www.sordum.org/9480/defender-control-v1-6/ still works for Win 2004 and 20H2. Note it is not recommended to permanently uninstall Defender since it serves as a back up AV real-time solution in case Eset's real-time protection was disabled somehow or malfunctioned.

I don't use any 3rd party apps to disable it from Windows, rather, I make my own customised Windiws ISO by removing many bloats alongwith the Windows Defender & tweaking many things (mostly delete useless things that I don't use & add updates) then install that.

& about repair, I won't do that as I don't see any point of doing so, but somethimes, I've noticed that, after a CU, Windows defender usualy shows up (not in Windows Settings section, but if you search in START, it's there)

Edited by SM03

• ESET Insiders
46 minutes ago, JozefG said:

TLDR; No.

We are required by Microsoft to communicate with WSC in order to be an antimalware provider.

hmm, while I understand the dependencies, still, IMO, ESET should have a user prefered notification options to turn off this (such) kind of notificaions anyway. 

• Most Valued Members

imo that notification is a crucial part of the successful operation of the program and the OS.

a user could be alerted that something in the OS isn't working right and then take action.

it he could disable it, even by mistake, then the entire system could be at huge risk.

• Most Valued Members
1 hour ago, SM03 said:

hmm, while I understand the dependencies, still, IMO, ESET should have a user prefered notification options to turn off this (such) kind of notificaions anyway. 

I get not wanting to have some of windows extras, a lot have issues with windows 10 privacy wise. However eset and windows security Centre work together and I belive windows security centre like itman mentioned provides other stuff rather than just windows defender. Removing the full security centre could put your computer at risk and it is definitely not recommended.