Primary profile update failed using ERA 7.2

Hi,

We are running ESET Security Business center Ver 7.2 with win xp, 8.1 & 10 workstation with single primary profile over LAN but seems all clients are getting updates from Internet not over LAN, below are the snapshots for your ready reference, kindly advise what i'm missing to get the updates over LAN?

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

• ESET Staff

Could you please clarify your usecase? Provided policy seems to instruct endpoint to create local mirror, i.e. endpoint will connect to internet and download all required files for creation of mirror. But there are no instruction to actually use any mirror in this policy - this policy should be probably used only one one client, that will be downloading files from internet and sharing it on local network.

Other endpoints, those supposed to update locally from LAN should use different configuration, where especially "Modules update - Custom server" should be probably configured to point to your LAN mirror, instead of default.

Hi MartinK,

your are right, endpoint clients connect to internet get the download local and install which is configured currenlty but my query is to change the primary update to LAN so that all the clients should connect to ERA server to get updates and if it fails then to connect secondary which is ERA server from Internet.

Based to the above snapshot shared, kinldy advise what changes to be made in order to acheive the goal.

• Administrators

Is there any reason for updating from a mirror in your company instead of using an http proxy and updating from ESET's servers? I'm asking because using a mirror is not necessary in network environments where at least one machine has Internet connection. When using a mirror, you can't take advantage of streamed updates which are available when updating through a proxy.

In that case you could simply use the option to update directly if connection through a proxy fails.

• Administrators

I see that you have no proxy set for the primary "My profile" profile:

image.png

That way it should be set only for the secondary "Inetenet update (non-proxy)" profile. Here you should set up your proxy server like as follows:

image.png

Since using direct connection if proxy is not available is enabled, also clients outside your network should be able to update using this update profile.

Hi Marcos,

As advised, it is getting updates from the ERA server but pls. find below my observation for your further advice.

1. getting updates over LAN is drastically slow whereas other apps works perfectly fine over Gigport. 

2. There is about 1GB updates available at client machines.

. Location of repository in ERA  ?

Hi Marcos,

The above suggested works perfectly fine and now all my clients are getting updates from primary over LAN and secondary over net but getting the updates from LAN takes more than the expected time though its Gigport also clients are getting updates of about 1GB whereas client version itself not more than 200 MB. kindly advise.

• Administrators

Module updates are very small, typically below 1 MB/day per client. My understanding is that clients in your LAN are supposed to update from ESET's servers through a proxy that caches update files (ie. not from a local mirror) while clients outside the LAN are supposed to update directly from ESET's update servers. If that's correct, then the proxy server is not configured neither under Tools -> Proxy server nor in the primary "My profile" update profile.

Hi Marcos,

Your understanding is partially correct , our current scenario is at least 50% of our clients are traveler whose first shift is at head office over LAN and second shift outside LAN accordingly configured all clients (LAN & WAN) to get primary updates over LAN if failed then get the updates which is working fine now after your suggestion but past 1 week watching clients are getting updates more than 1 GB expecting something wrong uninstall the client and install it again though it takes updates more than 1GB. Will do one client install and share your the snapshots soon

Hi Marcos,

Just to reconfirm, uninstall one client and fresly installed withe the latest ver 7.3.2039.0 on win10 machine and you can see the updates are happening about 1 GB, pls. advice.

update.jpg

• ESET Moderators

Hello @Ricky Martin

38 minutes ago, Ricky Martin said:

Hi Marcos,

Just to reconfirm, uninstall one client and fresly installed withe the latest ver 7.3.2039.0 on win10 machine and you can see the updates are happening about 1 GB, pls. advice.

update.jpg

I would bet, you have the "Create update mirror" option enabled, causing the update to be so large.

Disable that option and the download will be significantly smaller.

Note that the initial download will still be quite large, but the incremental ones will be very small, as Marcos already mentioned.

Peter