real-time file system protection heats up SSD?

Is Eset's real-time file system protection causing my Samsung SSD to heat up or do SSD hard-drives run hot regardless? Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...
  • ESET Moderators

Hello,

I saw that you asked a question in the Future changes to ESET Smart Security message thread and moved it to this new message thread for an answer, since that message thread is for feature requests.

To answer your question, an SSD is basically a circuit board with RAM chips and a few other components soldered to it, just like one of the memory modules installed in your computer, or the CPU, video card, etc. As electricity gets used by the electrical components, they radiate away the waste of that process as heat. This is why some of the components inside your computer have heat sinks and pipes and fans attached to them, to help move that heat away from the components so that it can be exhausted through the air outlets in the computer.

The amount of heat being radiated by a device is going to be proportional to its use, however, I cannot say I have ever noticed any SSD running noticeably hotter due to anti-malware software. There are operations which are more I/O intensive like checking the file system for errors which probably generate more waste heat.

I have used quite a few Corsair, Crucial, Intel, Kensington, MyDigitalSSD, OCZ, OWC, Samsung and Toshiba SSDs, and cannot say that I have noticed one particular model generating more heat than others as a result of running anti-malware software. If you think that your SSD is radiating more heat than it should, I would strongly suggest checking with the computer or SSD manufacturer, and see what they have to say/recommend.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky