MS ignores default Browser for updates.Conflict

I use SS7. Occasionally the blue eset tray icon will have the "i" for information. I go to the page and I click the "Click here for more information". It brings up IE for updates.

My PC is set to Firefox default browser.

IE is not supported by me and I don't use it. I never allow updates to IE becuase the updates hog the system

from me either on power up or log off. It's patches are huge too, and i never know if they are accumulative, or MS removes older versions. My disk space isn't all that large.

Eventually IE will become more vulnerable as MS uses IE, and that will make my system more vulnerable.

Is there a way to force MS to default to Firefox browser when it wants a browser.?

• Administrators

If you attempt to run Windows Update via another browser than IE, you'll get this message:

Thanks for your interest in getting updates from us.

To use this site, you must be running Microsoft Internet Explorer 5 or later.

Microsoft Windows, wont even run or work correctly without IE, don't believe me? Try to uninstall it. Don't worry i'll wait hehe. ( Deleting iexplore.exe doesnt count )

Its like a Shell of windows explorer.

Microsoft has always released security updates, as well as version updates for Internet Explorer. We are on version 11 now.

If you are still on windows XP, its time to migrate off as it actually does NOT have anymore security updates or patches coming from Microsoft. ;)

Windows 7 and 8 no longer apply updates through IE.

I'm running W 7 pro sp1 32.

I'm not using IE, MS is. So if I get a virus through IE, then MS is at fault.

ESET shares some responsibility in this potential hazard. Instead of linking us directly(clicking the 'here' link) to IE as it does now,

it could instead have us link to an ESET user option that allows us to pick the browser.

The solution is for MS to stop trying to force use of it's product. It's unfortunate hackers are targeting

IE, that's not MS fault, but, it's not our fault either. But it is irresponsibile to leave a product on the market that has focus

of hackers.

So ESET, include a browser choice for your links.

"I never allow updates to IE because the updates hog the system"

Unfortunately, If you are using Windows you should install all the IE updates for Windows security issues

No matter you are using IE or another web browser.

I'm running W 7 pro sp1 32.

I'm not using IE, MS is. So if I get a virus through IE, then MS is at fault.

So if you get a virus while browsing with Firefox it's Mozillas fault?  ;)

Sorry but it doesn't work like that. In any case do what others have said, keep IE updated even if you don't use it. 

I am like you, I don't use IE as my default browser but I still keep it updated. And you won't get a virus through IE only because you use it for Win Updates.

I like what Swex stated, and i have to add on top of it.

A browser is a basic tool for looking around, it doesn't matter which one you use, there is no security embedded in a browser, aside from the no script and disable addon features, ignore java, block flash etc. Install an addon like adblocker, which still wont keep viruses out.

The built in security features located under Control Panel > Internet properties, has more security features to keep you off bad sites, then any of the other browsers out there.

You have to procure a decent security product that will watch the traffic coming in and out of whatever browser you decide to use.

That is where ESET comes in.

• Most Valued Members

I'm just curious, why would you have to use Internet Explorer for updates on Windows 7 ?

I have them set to automatic download - notify to install through the control panel item and can't remember the last time I saw Internet Explorer on my screen. I let MS update Internet Explorer none-the-less.

• Most Valued Members

XP was the last OS i know of that updates were found through the browser.

I'm trying to figure out what the OP is talking about by saying he is being forced by Eset to use IE for Windows updates.

I tried uninstalling IE as well, once.  However, you can turn IE off.

Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows RT, Windows 8.1, and Windows RT 8.1 also include functionality that allows users to turn off Internet Explorer. If Internet Explorer is turned off, it's not available for use by any users on the computer and can't be launched for any reason, even if no other browser is available on the system. The program files to launch and use Internet Explorer are removed to a separate storage location as a backup copy so that a user can turn Internet Explorer back on if the user wishes to do so later.

Source:

hxxp://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/how-to-turn-internet-explorer-off

I had to do this when I had a problem with IE but didn't have the time to find it until later.

• 2 weeks later...
  • ESET Moderators

Hello,

A few things to keep in mind:

• The Trident HTML rendering engine (i.e., "Internet Explorer") is used by many third-party applications (instant messengers, other web browsers, various Microsoft programs (Outlook, Windows Live Writer, etc.) and subsystems (help files, etc.) and probably lots of other things besides the Internet Explorer web browser.
  • There are still a lot of web pages on Microsoft's various web properties which only display correctly in Internet Explorer.

Even if you don't use Internet Explorer as a default browser, it is a good idea to keep it updated, just like any other Microsoft software installed on your computer.  There may be other third-party programs which use Internet Explorers various components,  and one of those could be a means for an attacker to exploit your system.  It is better to patch vulnerabilities in unused programs than it is to leave them unpatched.  if you have a concern about system stability or breaking functionality in the operating system or another program, make a backup before applying any patches.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky