Linux version clarify

tbsky

Hi:

one of our staff need to install linux version(at RHEL 7.7), so I tried to install and testing. but I need some clarify. the linux environment is RHEL 7.7.

1. linux file security => this works fine, I can create web service and use browser to manage it. but it seems have no xwindow user interface, is that correct?

2. endpoint antivirus linux 7.x => there seems have no web service for browser.  I didn't see any gnome icon and I don't know where to start xwindow gui interface(is there any?). I try to run "/opt/eset/eea/lib/egui"  but it just hang there and nothing happened.

3.  business edition 4.x => I haven't try it. it seems an old version. should I try it?

• Most Valued Members
6 hours ago, tbsky said:

Hi:

one of our staff need to install linux version(at RHEL 7.7), so I tried to install and testing. but I need some clarify. the linux environment is RHEL 7.7.

1. linux file security => this works fine, I can create web service and use browser to manage it. but it seems have no xwindow user interface, is that correct?

2. endpoint antivirus linux 7.x => there seems have no web service for browser.  I didn't see any gnome icon and I don't know where to start xwindow gui interface(is there any?). I try to run "/opt/eset/eea/lib/egui"  but it just hang there and nothing happened.

3.  business edition 4.x => I haven't try it. it seems an old version. should I try it?

v7 has been developed without a user interface , it can be managed through your ESMC or by the commands in terminal only

v4 is based on a legacy version , which had few troubles with Chrome with version 4.093 , now it got fixed in version v4.095

I have tried to run v7 but it failed to run for some reason and I have yet to contact support for assistance , but I think for now I will head back to 95.

28 minutes ago, Nightowl said:

v7 has been developed without a user interface , it can be managed through your ESMC or by the commands in terminal only

v4 is based on a legacy version , which had few troubles with Chrome with version 4.093 , now it got fixed in version v4.095

I have tried to run v7 but it failed to run for some reason and I have yet to contact support for assistance , but I think for now I will head back to 95.

thanks a lot for your sharing!!

so v7 didn't have xwindow gui  (then what's the egui for?), but v4 has xwindow gui. is that correct?

I need to use a version with xwindow gui, then I think I will use V4.

• Most Valued Members
1 minute ago, tbsky said:

thanks a lot for your sharing!!

so v7 didn't have xwindow gui  (then what's the egui for?), but v4 has xwindow gui. is that correct?

I need to use a version with xwindow gui, then I think I will use V4.

v4 does have a gui but is a legacy , v7 is newly developed , I recommend v7 if it works for you , less problems and better, but you need to get the hang of the commands.

5 hours ago, Nightowl said:

v4 does have a gui but is a legacy , v7 is newly developed , I recommend v7 if it works for you , less problems and better, but you need to get the hang of the commands.

I am a little confused. if v7 can only be controlled by ESMC, then how a normal user can use it without xwindow/web gui?

• Most Valued Members
22 minutes ago, tbsky said:

I am a little confused. if v7 can only be controlled by ESMC, then how a normal user can use it without xwindow/web gui?

Only by commands , as far as I know there should be a simplified GUI for the v7 desktop but probably that will also come for endpoint , I can't seem to get it running , it's telling me to update my linux and the product activation has failed but yet still I can update to the latest modules and I can't get it to start working.

Here you can find information about commands : https://help.eset.com/eesu/7/en-US/retrieve-module-information.html?index.html

I rolled back to 4.095

Edited by Nightowl

11 minutes ago, Nightowl said:

Only by commands , as far as I know there should be a simplified GUI for the v7 desktop but probably that will also come for endpoint , I can't seem to get it running , it's telling me to update my linux and the product activation has failed but yet still I can update to the latest modules and I can't get it to start working.

Here you can find information about commands : https://help.eset.com/eesu/7/en-US/retrieve-module-information.html?index.html

I rolled back to 4.095

yes I had study the document. I start a local  scan for the computer. the scan finished  but I don't  know where to check the scan result. the document didn't say about this. it seems strange if everything is cli.  eset file security at least has web interface. I don't understand why a desktop product only has cli.

• Most Valued Members
22 minutes ago, tbsky said:

yes I had study the document. I start a local  scan for the computer. the scan finished  but I don't  know where to check the scan result. the document didn't say about this. it seems strange if everything is cli.  eset file security at least has web interface. I don't understand why a desktop product only has cli.

I believe it was meant for it to be controlled through the ESMC but I sometimes you don't want an Agent on that device , like on my case , I am stuck with the CLI and still I can't get it to work.

47 minutes ago, Nightowl said:

I believe it was meant for it to be controlled through the ESMC but I sometimes you don't want an Agent on that device , like on my case , I am stuck with the CLI and still I can't get it to work.

I don't know why v7 need desktop environment when it is only CLI. in document v7 system requirement:

Supported desktop environments:

GNOME

KDE

XFCE

• Most Valued Members
35 minutes ago, tbsky said:

I don't know why v7 need desktop environment when it is only CLI. in document v7 system requirement:

GNOME

KDE

XFCE

Could it be that reason? that I use MATE? , but what the GUI has to do with it , it doesn't have a GUI even , I am mistaken somehow?

2 minutes ago, Nightowl said:

Could it be that reason? that I use MATE? , but what the GUI has to do with it , it doesn't have a GUI even , I am mistaken somehow?

v7 has the program "egui". but document didn't mention it and I can not start it.

• Most Valued Members
Just now, tbsky said:

v7 has the program "egui". but document didn't mention it and I can not start it.

It must be for the future usage , when they finish developing the simplified GUI that this product will have.

22 minutes ago, Nightowl said:

It must be for the future usage , when they finish developing the simplified GUI that this product will have.

I hope you are correct and I can use it in the near future! can someone from ESET confirm this?

• Most Valued Members
7 minutes ago, tbsky said:

I hope you are correct and I can use it in the near future! can someone from ESET confirm this?

I know that this will come to v7 desktop version , but for endpoint I don't know.

• ESET Staff
3 hours ago, tbsky said:

GNOME

KDE

XFCE

I have not verified but my best guess would be that desktop notifications do work only in this specific desktop environments.

6 hours ago, MartinK said:

I have not verified but my best guess would be that desktop notifications do work only in this specific desktop environments.

I got it. so these "desktop notifications" is the only xwindow gui for v7. you can not control v7 in xwindow gui. is that correct?

so the desktop environment requirement  is for "desktop notifications", although I don't know what it is since I never get one.

• ESET Staff

Hello @tbsky, yes, that is correct. Endpoint Antivirus for Linux was developed for the managed (controlled from ESMC) environments, and for the power Linux users. From our POW, there is no practical need by a standard LInux user might want any level of local management of AV product installed on his Endpoint. As of now, we are not planning to bring back the full blown UI. 

19 minutes ago, MichalJ said:

Hello @tbsky, yes, that is correct. Endpoint Antivirus for Linux was developed for the managed (controlled from ESMC) environments, and for the power Linux users. From our POW, there is no practical need by a standard LInux user might want any level of local management of AV product installed on his Endpoint. As of now, we are not planning to bring back the full blown UI. 

thanks a lot for your confirm!

• Most Valued Members
1 hour ago, MichalJ said:

Sometimes it happens that we don't want an Agent on specific computers , to stop them from being controlled from remote agents.

@MichalJ , Can you help me please with this log :

08/03/20 11:45:36                    Real-time protection service         Syscall init_module returns error: Operation not permitted                                    root              
08/03/20 11:45:36                    Real-time protection service         Initialization of system handler for on-access scan has failed. Please update your OS and ... root              
08/03/20 11:51:01                    Updating service                     Unauthorized access.                                                                          eset-eea-updated  
08/03/20 11:55:41                    Logging service                      Connection to 5973 was unexpectedly closed: Agent not authorized                              eset-eea-logd     
08/03/20 12:00:31                    Configuration service                Cannot write to socket: Broken pipe                                                           eset-eea-confd    
08/03/20 12:00:31                    Configuration service                Cannot write to socket: Broken pipe                                                           eset-eea-confd    
08/03/20 12:01:16                    Licensing service                    Cannot receive data from server: Network is unreachable                                       eset-eea-licensed
08/03/20 12:01:16                    Licensing service                    Cannot receive data from server: Network is unreachable                                       eset-eea-licensed
08/03/20 12:01:16                    Real-time protection service         Syscall init_module returns error: Operation not permitted                                    root              
08/03/20 12:01:16                    Real-time protection service         Initialization of system handler for on-access scan has failed. Please update your OS and ... root              
08/03/20 12:01:16                    Updating service                     Product is not activated.                                                                     eset-eea-updated  
08/03/20 12:01:34                    Updating service                     Unauthorized access.                                                                          eset-eea-updated  

I can activate , I can update , but the on-access scanner won't initiate , and yet still tell me that it's not activated and I need to update my OS , while it's up-to-date

Edited by Nightowl

On 3/19/2020 at 3:57 PM, MichalJ said:

sorry @MichalJ. I have two questions about v4

1. can I use MirrorTool to mirror virus signature for v4 so I can update signature in local network? mirror tool support ep4 product, but I don't know if it is compatiable with v4 or how to configure v4 to use the mirror.

2. you said ESET will no longer support linux full UI. will v4 be abandoned soon ( < two years)?

Edited by tbsky

• ESET Staff

Hello @Nightowl  those types of errors are likely to happen in case when a secure boot is enabled. However, as I am not a Linux expert, I would recommend you to open a ticket with ESET customer care. 

@tbsky per my knowledge, it should work OK, alternatively you can use older ESET File Security V4, as update mirror for V4 clients. And yes, it´s more than probable that this legacy product will reach EOL in the near future, as replacement solution, that you are eligible to use is now being available. We will be updating the EOL policy information on the web soon.