ESET Mail/File/Gateway Security for Linux Licensing Issues through ESMC 7.1

Similar to this topic here: https://forum.eset.com/topic/21462-cannot-start-license-not-found/

Couple items: We are a Multi-tenant MSP provider for ESET Services

I am working on migrating our customer base from ERA 6.5.x to EMSC 7.1.717.0

When attempting to install ESET Mail/File/Gateway Security for Linux on devices that are managed through us, the application does not start up - upon looking at the endpoints, the remote management reports to ESMC that "Product is not connected. No connection attempt occurred"

The object in ESMC does not show a license attached to the endpoint details

When attempting to check on the individual endpoint's licensing status "service esets status" - the services are dead

When attempting to start the endpoint ESET engine - the product fails to start because of licensing

During deployment: the license IS specified with the remote deployment; also further tasks fail on running a product activation task

Manual application of LIC files is not practical as we do not provide the LIC files to clients directly and our other teams have limited access to the MSP Licensing portal

Is there a specific route to install this product onto endpoints all remotely:  (install agent>AV endpoint>license separate task) or (install agent>install AV+license together [which is the route i done])

• ESET Staff

Hi @TonyK

Can you be please more specific in which product you are trying to use? V7 won´t have this issue at all, as it uses the new native licensing system. 

Also, where are you getting the lic files? As for MSP licenses, those are not accessible in the MSP licensing portal (EMA). 

Based on the knowledge I have, the installation of AV + license together via task from ESMC / ERA won´t work for V4.5 linux server products. I have contacted our teams to find out, if we can provide any suitable solution / workaround.

Edited by MichalJ

I attempted to do the same as well with v7 File Security for Linux but I wasn't able to start the AV engine, I'll be honest, I am not a linux guru though, I only enough to get me into trouble :)

When deploying the ESET File Security for Linux v7 (7.1.558.0) with license the endpoint reports that the product is installed but is not running, when attempting to start the service it errors out - this on two lab machines on VMWare 6.5 (HW13) on fresh installs of RHEL on one and CENTOS on the other

Then with working on ESET Mail/File/Gateway Security for Linux that version is 4.5.15.0

Obviously under MSP program I cannot get the lic files - which limits the routes I can go. The caviat is, I am not sure how folks got it to work in the past (it seemed to work on ERA 6.x somewhat) but the team who implemented it and gave us the process is no longer with our organization.

Frankly, I'd rather move everyone to ESFS-Linux v7 anyways as it seems to be better overall on the feature enrichment, but I am more concerned with getting a working product no matter what - and right now I am stuck

• ESET Staff

What I can think of is that you might have old, non-compatible version of ESMC agent installed. Linux V7 product needs the latest version of 7.1 agent. Besides that, it should work without any issues. I have forwarded this case to a more skilled colleague, who might bring more insights, but 7.1 agent and V7 linux EFS should work without any issues. 

• ESET Staff
12 hours ago, TonyK said:

When deploying the ESET File Security for Linux v7 (7.1.558.0) with license the endpoint reports that the product is installed but is not running, when attempting to start the service it errors out - this on two lab machines on VMWare 6.5 (HW13) on fresh installs of RHEL on one and CENTOS on the other

I would recommend to temporarily set SELinux to permissive mode (command in root terminal: setenforce 0) to verify issues are not related to it. Otherwise it should work in case supported operating system is used and all prerequisites are met.

Could you also provide us ESMC Agent's trace.log from client machine capturing moment you tried to activate 4.15 product? Activation itself is performed by AGENT itself, so it is crucial it has connectivity to ESET license servers (edf.eset.com) and that product is operational, especially in terms of prerequisites. This probably includes some legacy packages as 32bit libraries...

Okay - I'll see if I can get my colleague to run those in the next couple days - I have been pulled into a couple other projects at the moment, but should have an answer by Friday or next Monday

I actually just went into one of the servers that I ran the attempt on (I have a client that needs protection functional sooner rather than later) - hoping that "setenforce 0" would be all that is missing;

I ran a new task with deployment of ESET Mail/File/Gateway Security for Linux 4.5.15 with the license included - it looks like the task is hung in the console for 'Waiting for Product' but it looks to be installed:

running command 'service esets start' results in failed

image.thumb.png.c22703242e20e61bf1b8199e0dc69a6b.png

I did grab the entire remote administrator folder so that way it has all the trace history -- there were multiple activation tasks/install/uninstall -- trying to get something to work...

At this point it's probably best to wipe the slate clean and start over so I might end up uninstalling all ESET products and reinstalling the agent and then start deployment again

RemoteAdministrator.zip

Just a heads up - I will be trying to revisit this next week, my unix colleague has to get this deployed onto a few (10-15 prod devices), he ended up doing so without letting me know and it appears that the OS'es are somewhat out of date so I'll get you all more info

I am hoping we can go for deploying EFSL 7 instead but there is a portion of folks still deploying ESETS (Mail/File/Gateway 4.5.15 still) -- unfortunately reshaping a direction of an organization to go is a bit difficult :)