best component for linux ESMC?

Hi:

I just upgrade from 6.5 to 7.1. and I want to make sure I use the same component with Eset.

linux:  64bit is a must now. that's fine since rhel7 already abandon 32bit. rhel7 or clone  is best since Eset virtual appliance use it?

tomcat:  tomcat7 is not working anymore. that's unfortunate. ESMC 7.1 need  at least tomcat9, and since there is no tomcat 10, tomcat9 is the only choice. BTW, ESMC 7.1  installation document  is full of  tomcat7 example, I think it need to be modified for tomcat9.

mysql: ERA 6.x has problems with mysql 5.7, so at that time mysql 5.6 is the best choice. now mysql 5.5 is not working anymore, I assume mysql 5.7 is the best choice now?  or mysql 8.0 is better?

• ESET Staff

Hello,

ESMC 7.1 supports only 64-bit operating systems. It is true that ESMC Virtual Appliance runs on CentOS, but you can use any of the supported Linux OS:

https://help.eset.com/esmc_install/71/en-US/linux.html

The supported Tomcat version is Tomcat 9:

https://help.eset.com/esmc_install/71/en-US/supported_versions_of_apache_tomcat.html.

We will fix the tomcat7 examples, thanks for your feedback.

See the supported MySQL (and ODBC connector) versions here:

https://help.eset.com/esmc_install/71/en-US/database_requirements.html

2 hours ago, Peter_J said:

See the supported MySQL (and ODBC connector) versions here:

https://help.eset.com/esmc_install/71/en-US/database_requirements.html

may I ask which mysql version is best? I now stay in 5.7.  in ERA 6.x time, ESET support 5.5,5.6,5.7, but 5.7 has problems.

now ESET support 5.6,5.7,8.0. I assume 8.0 will have problems but I am not sure.

• ESET Staff

It highly depends on what is behind your questions but:

• In case you are asking for most reliable and verified components, I would recommend to stick with configuration as near as possible to ESMC Appliance (CentOS 7 + MySQL 5.6 + official Tomcat7). Reason is simple = it is preferred solution for most of Linux users of ESMC. As of MySQL 5.7 I am not aware any significant downsides, it is not used in ESMC Appliance just because of changes in tooling which complicates automated deployment.
  • If you are asking for solution that will be possibly supported longest time, latest components might be best choice, but as you suggested, there might be problems encountered - especially with MySQL 8 which has few bugs that are affecting ESMC directly and future versions might be not working at all.
  • If you are after performance, I would recommend to consider SQLServer for Linux as database, especially in case management of >10000 devices is expected. This combination is probably not officially supported, but solution is used internally.

11 hours ago, MartinK said:

It highly depends on what is behind your questions but:

• In case you are asking for most reliable and verified components, I would recommend to stick with configuration as near as possible to ESMC Appliance (CentOS 7 + MySQL 5.6 + official Tomcat7). Reason is simple = it is preferred solution for most of Linux users of ESMC. As of MySQL 5.7 I am not aware any significant downsides, it is not used in ESMC Appliance just because of changes in tooling which complicates automated deployment.
  • If you are asking for solution that will be possibly supported longest time, latest components might be best choice, but as you suggested, there might be problems encountered - especially with MySQL 8 which has few bugs that are affecting ESMC directly and future versions might be not working at all.
  • If you are after performance, I would recommend to consider SQLServer for Linux as database, especially in case management of >10000 devices is expected. This combination is probably not officially supported, but solution is used internally.

what I mean best is most reliable and verified. thanks for your clarification.

but I have tested tomcat 7 and it is not working. document also said ESMC 7.1 need tomcat 9. do ESMC 7.1 Appliance actually use tomcat 7?

document said SQLServer for Linux is not supported. if it is supported maybe I will give it a try. although I always prefer MariaDB. MariaDB is linux standard these days(I understand ESET may never want to support it).

Edited by tbsky

• ESET Staff
50 minutes ago, tbsky said:

but I have tested tomcat 7 and it is not working. document also said ESMC 7.1 need tomcat 9. do ESMC 7.1 Appliance actually use tomcat 7?

Yes, official CentOS7 packages are used, which means Tomcat7 + OpenJDK 1.8, but we have encountered issues on Windows where certain versions of tomcat7 stopped working, but it might have been related to Java -> OpenJDK changes which also required latest builds.

7 minutes ago, MartinK said:

Yes, official CentOS7 packages are used, which means Tomcat7 + OpenJDK 1.8, but we have encountered issues on Windows where certain versions of tomcat7 stopped working, but it might have been related to Java -> OpenJDK changes which also required latest builds.

that's strange.  official tomcat 7 can not work when I  upgrade to ESMC 7.1. I will download 7.1 Appliance and take a look.

17 hours ago, tbsky said:

that's strange.  official tomcat 7 can not work when I  upgrade to ESMC 7.1. I will download 7.1 Appliance and take a look.

I download ESMC 7.1 appliance and take a look. indeed it is using mysql 5.6 and tomcat 7. however it seems a tricky setup, if I do "yum reinstall tomcat" then system become broken even I put back ESET modified web.xml and server.xml . with tomcat 9 I don't need to modify any configuration file, it works by default. maybe that's why document said  ESMC 7.1 need at least tomcat 9.

thanks again for your information!!

• Most Valued Members

On 11/26/2019 at 1:34 PM, tbsky said:

what I mean best is most reliable and verified. thanks for your clarification.

document said SQLServer for Linux is not supported. if it is supported maybe I will give it a try. although I always prefer MariaDB. MariaDB is linux standard these days(I understand ESET may never want to support it).

I'm just wondering whether or not MariaDB will be supported in the future with the MariaDB Connector/ODBC? 

Right now, when repairing (in hopes to change to Mariadb),  the only options are MySQL Server, MSSQL and MSSQL with Windows Authentication.  Even if I've installed the mariadb connector, it doesn't work. [side note...]