How to install NOD32 v4 and disable auto update?

Super_Spartan
Go to solution Solved by SweX,

• Administrators

Since there no program component updates (pcu) are released for v4, you basically don't need to do anything. If you want to make sure that no pcu is downloaded, you can disable them in the advanced update setup.

Anyways, we'd prefer to help you troubleshoot your issues than downgrade to v4 which doesn't provide as good protection as v7 and it doesn't use cloud whitelisting so it repeatedly scans files that v7 doesn't.

Since there no program component updates (pcu) are released for v4, you basically don't need to do anything. If you want to make sure that no pcu is downloaded, you can disable them in the advanced update setup.

Anyways, we'd prefer to help you troubleshoot your issues than downgrade to v4 which doesn't provide as good protection as v7 and it doesn't use cloud whitelisting so it repeatedly scans files that v7 doesn't.

ok then, what I don't like about 7 is that I feel my internet is slower like uTorrent downloads for example.

Another thing I notice is while copying large files is a bit slower than with another AV such as avast!.

In the past, the one thing I loved about NOD32 is that when you install it you don't even feel you have an AV installed.

I also don't like the fact that people here recommend to disable HIPS and a few other things, if I want to disable all these things, then what's the point of installing NOD32 v7? might as well just stick to 4 right?

please advice

ok then, what I don't like about 7 is that I feel my internet is slower like uTorrent downloads for example.

uTorrent is P2P, your speeds are going to increase and decrease at random based off the upload speeds of you and everyone else your grabbing the files from.

Another thing I notice is while copying large files is a bit slower than with another AV such as avast!.

There is no way Avast allows for faster throughput then Nod32, i'm sorry, you need to do some testing and provide data.

In the past, the one thing I loved about NOD32 is that when you install it you don't even feel you have an AV installed.

That is still the case today, referencing reviews, feedback, and live scenarios i experience myself.

I also don't like the fact that people here recommend to disable HIPS and a few other things, if I want to disable all these things, then what's the point of installing NOD32 v7? might as well just stick to 4 right?

What you have to understand, is how support in the IT industry works, not being an IT tech with years of background, you overlook the simple reasons for what you are speaking of.

The goal is to find out what the problem is, where it started, and the actions to take towards resolution.

People, including ESET staff, don't recommend disabling HIPS as a permanent workaround, they request to disable HIPS to find out if that is the culprit or cause of the issue.

It is recommended only to disable temporarily and restart, then try the scenario again to see if issue persist. At that point investigation can begin on the program and the developers and engineers know "where to look to rectify " . I hope this makes more sense and understanding, as we don't always recommend just to disable HIPS as a resolution. Its testing and troubleshooting by process of elimination.

Thanks for your post and hope i shed some light for you.

Edited by Arakasi

• Administrators

Is it that files are downloaded slower via utorrent after installing v7 or browsing the web while utorrent is running in the background?

Please provide some examples. You can upload the files to a safe location and pm me the download link. I wonder what files they are as I can imagine only self-extracting archives would take more time to get scanned internally.

I assume that today older versions would be probably heavier due to lack of LiveGrid support. As a result, other versions should scan more files than v5 or newer.

You can always uninstall v7 and install v4 instead, just to see if there's a difference in performance on your system configuration.

• Solution

Tweak Arena

You have probably thought about this already but if you haven't it's worth to mention I think, and that is to take a look at and possibly disable some of the software that (might) start up automatically with Windows is usually one thing that actually can improve the performance.

If you have CCleaner installed there's a useful section in there where you can disable startups easily.

In the CCleaner menu on the left click Tools -> Startup and you should see a list of programs.

But only disable those that you know are safe to disable and they will not startup with Windows at the next boot. 

And when you have updated already installed software or installed new software then take a look in there again. One example is when I update Adobe Reader it always re-adds an entry to that list of auto startups, so after each update I go in and delete it from the list. 

If you haven't got CCleaner installed then there are other ways of doing this as well.

Edited by SweX