ESET Endpoint AV 7.0 Desktop Stuttering at File Copy

ChristianL

we have weird Problems with the new Update: if i copy large Files from a Network share to a local Harddisk the System gets repeated unresponsible for short times. In any previous Endpoint Version this dont happened. Testet on 3 different Windows 10 (1803) Systems.

Disabling all Protections in AV-Settings doesnt Change this behavior, only Deinstallation of Endpoint restored the normal behavior.

Any Suggestions?

• Administrators

Please try the following:
1, In safe mode, rename "C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET Security\Drivers" to "Drivers_noload"
2, Rename C:\Windows\System32\drivers\eamonm.sys, e.g. to eamonm.bak
3, Restart Windows and reproduce the issue.

Should the problem persist, instead of eamonm.sys rename ehdrv.sys.
Let us know if renaming either driver helped.

Finally rename the drivers and the Drivers_noload back to their original names.

Could this issue be potentially caused by ESET being set to scan on File Creation or File Execution?

If it is a large file then it may take a while for it to scan the whole file, therefore slowing down the machine?

If you go to the Advanced Setup of the ESET application, Navigate to "Detection Engine > Real-time file system protection" and check if these settings are on in the "SCAN ON" section.

It is recommended that these settings are left alone obviously as disabling them could create a vulnerability for your machine, but it will be good to see if it narrows down the cause of the issue.

Let me know if this helps or not!

40 minutes ago, ChristianL said:

That cant be unlikely the reason because the problem still exists if everything is disabled (look posts above).

Sorry my bad,

Maybe trying to create a log file and uploading it here would be a good idea, that would give a better understanding of the potential problem.

To do this, use the Process Monitor as mentioned in the instructions here: https://support.eset.com/kb6308/.

You will need to recreate the issue and try to save the log file as an unfiltered log and then compress it and upload to a location such as Dropbox or OneDrive.

10 minutes ago, ChristianL said:

Here is the procmon log file, the stuttering starts a few secounds after copying a large file from a Network share to local hard disk.

There is no Problem in the other direction (from local to Network share).

Logfile.zip

Hi Christian,

Would you mind uploading this to a platform such as OneDrive or Dropbox, as I'm guessing for security reasons it does not allow me to look at the zip file.

Just now, ChristianL said:

ok i found the Problem: our Synology-NAS was the cause, after changing a smb-setting the stuttering went away.

Thanks anyway for support.

Hi Christian,

Glad you managed to fix the issue! Did you locate this through using the Process Monitoring tool?

1 hour ago, ChristianL said:

ok i found the Problem: our Synology-NAS was the cause, after changing a smb-setting the stuttering went away.

Thanks anyway for support.

Can you tell me which option you changed? I use several Synology NAS models.

21 minutes ago, bbahes said:

Can you tell me which option you changed? I use several Synology NAS models.

Hi bbahes,

What models do you use? I have very very limited knowledge but I've heard a lot of people complaining about a Mediaserver package slowing speeds drastically.

No idea if this could be of any help to you but I thought I would give it a try!

Hmm i think that was only a temporary effect, my experiences after further testing are at copying large files to Client (Synology is at latest Software 6.2, Windows 10 at latest 1803):

- Synology with SMB2 or SMB3 and Eset: stuttering

- Synology with SMB2 or SMB3 and Defender: no stuttering

- Server 2016 and Eset: no stuttering

-> Conclusion: something goes wrong in combination with Eset and Synology SMB sharing ...

How about trying to check the Event Viewer on one of the machines affected to see if there are any details in there that may help?

Or as I mentioned earlier, try uploading your log file to a safe location such as OneDrive or Dropbox so that it can be viewed.

54 minutes ago, ChristianL said:

Nothing in Event Viewer. Why is this here unsafe or Dropbox safer for a Text-Log-File?

I don't think it's the fact that posting it here is unsafe, it's just not letting me view the folder.

You have it compressed in a zip folder, try uploading it as a .txt file.

For all I know only moderators may have the required permissions to view files here.

i have now deinstalled Business Endpoint AntiVirus 7.0 and installed Home Antivirus 11.2 Trial -> no stuttering and file Transfer also faster (+20mb/s).

Something is wrong with Business Endpoint AntiVirus 7.0

• ESET Moderators

Hello @ChristianL,

thank you for the provided detailed info.

In the home version of the product, there are optimizations implemented to increase file operations in such scenarios.

We plan to look into such behavior on the Endpoints as well, but it will take some time to analyze and implement,...

Regards, P.R.