Attempting to add the root certificate to all known browsers on your computer failed

Hello,

I get this message everyday in the Event Log of ESET:

10.07.2018 16:10:56;Personal Firewall: Attempting to add the root certificate to all known browsers on your computer failed.;DESKTOP-Removed by User\Removed by User
(I use German ESET and translated this Log message with google translator)

What means that? How can I solve this?

I use ESET Internet Security on a Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit 1803 up to date PC. I use the Mozilla Firefox Browser.

Edited by Clark T

• Administrators

After rebooting the machine ESET should re-try importing the root certificate to browsers and the trusted root CA certificate store. Just to make sure that you perform actual reboot and not just a hybrid reboot, run "shutdown -r -t 0".

Alternatively this should work:
- disable SSL/TLS filtering
- reboot the system
- without launching any browsers, re-enable SSL/TLS filtering
- after a few seconds launch a browser.

8 hours ago, Marcos said:

After rebooting the machine ESET should re-try importing the root certificate to browsers and the trusted root CA certificate store. Just to make sure that you perform actual reboot and not just a hybrid reboot, run "shutdown -r -t 0".

Alternatively this should work:
- disable SSL/TLS filtering
- reboot the system
- without launching any browsers, re-enable SSL/TLS filtering
- after a few seconds launch a browser.

Thank you for your answer, Marcos.

I have hybrid reboot disabled. I always perform a actual reboot.

Your alternatively hint did work, but only under my Admin account. When I switch back to my Local account, where I surfe in the net and do all Internet related things, there comes again the message in the Event Log that I mentioned first.

The path to my browser is in the List of applications affected by the SSL / TLS filter.

Any other thing that could help?

Thanks

Edited by Clark T

Hello again,

I looked into the Mozilla Firefox certificates and the ESET certificate is there and I think it should work(don't know how to proof this).

I guess ESET Internet Security try to give the Windows 10 browser Edge a certificate and this do not work. I don't find any path to the Edge browser, there is only a code number from Windows 10 when I look under the properties for the Edge browser. So I can not insert manually the path into the List of applications affected by the SSL / TLS filter

When I'm right, how we get the ESET certificate into the Edge browser? I mean, I do not use the Edge browser, but this bothers me. :)

Strange is that my wife use nearly the same setup and has Windows 10 Home 1803 and Edge browser on the PC, but she got only the first time that ESET Internet Security was installed this Event Log I mentioned, now all works fine. She also uses Mozilla Firefox and not the Edge browser.

How can I get rid of this? :)

Edited by Clark T

I checked again my Admin account in Windows 10 and there it works and I do not get this Event Log.

Maybe you get a idea how to solve this, with all that informations from me.

Now by itself I have the Edge browser in the List of applications affected by the SSL / TLS filter. There are two new entries for the Edge browser.

But, on my Local User account on my Windows 10 OS, are still this Event Log "Attempting to add the root certificate to all known browsers on your computer failed" , everytime I restart the PC. :(

I hope for any help, thanks.

LoL, I solved the problem. On my Admin account, I do not have a Master Password for Mozilla Firefox, but on my Local User account I had a Master Password for Mozilla Firefox.

I disabled the Master Password for Mozilla Firefox on my Local User account, than did restart the PC. Now ESET Internet Security could write the permissions for the certificate into the Mozilla Firefox browser for my Local User account.

You have to guess that problem first. :rolleyes:

Ok, solved. Maybe this help in the future other users. :D