Dismount external media during scan?

YossiD

My work computer is running ESET Endpoint Antivirus 5. I am not an administrator and do not have the password (nor should I) so I cannot control the way the product works.

From time to time I need to transfer files between my computer and external media (external hard drive, USB memory stick, etc.) If there are a lot of files on the external media I'm usually done transferring files before ESET had completed its scan, and I have to wait for that to finish before I can safely remove the media.

Please consider adding a feature to enable stopping a scan in order to remove external media. If the feature would automatically dismount the media when it stops the scan, I can't see that there could be any security risk.

Thanks for listening.

• Administrators

I would ask your administrator to disable scanning of removable media (real-time protection would still scan files on them). Stopping a scan would require administrator rights or entering an admin password anyways.

1. If scanning of removable media doesn't add any security, why have it at all?

2. My posting was more of a feature request. Why require administrator rights or a password to stop scanning to enable removal of media. In other words, add a Remove Media command to the Antivirus software, which would then stop the scan and dismount the media.