Nod 32 v8

novice

Hi,

Is NOD 32 v8 still (actively) supported?

I have 2 licenses for 2 years , but I am not quite happy with the latest version ( kind of slow down my PC, tried on 2 different computers), so I would like to continue with v8 (instead of MSE +MBAM)

Thanks!

• ESET Moderators

Hello MSE,

the v.8 is currently in limited support mode, see http://support.eset.com/kb3678/?segment=home for more details.

It is really strange that you had issues with v.10 and system slowdown as this should be lighter on system than the v.8. 

Regards, P.R.

Well...it is not! (see attached). V10 has a performance score of 4.5/6 and is visible in real life.

My question was referring to real support. I want , if I have a problem with v8 , to get a solution for v8, not to be advised "install v10"

For example , I had the same problem mentioned several times so far :

"HIPS - User rules file contains invalid data"  see:

...and nobody bothered to provide an answer , other than "install v10"

V10_performance.jpg

• ESET Moderators

Hello MSE,

well synthetic tests are one thing and real user experience is other.

We continually add new protection layers (which might of course will use a bit more resources) but also we work hard on optimizing the existing ones as the resource usage is one of our key advantages, with the level of protection of course.

In v.10 we made significant changes under the hood to improve the product and some can be really seen like the memory consumption, which is significantly lower than in the previous versions.

When it comes to the support you will get it for sure, but I do not thing we would made any significant changes in the core application unless a critical bug is reported. 

The upgrade to v.10 is quite good advise in my opinion as over the time we fixed many issues and it is quite ineffective both for customer and for support to time-consumingly troubleshoot an issue, which is probably already fixed,...

Regards, P.R.

• Administrators

If v10 appears to be heavier than v9, I'd suggest to start off with narrowing it down. Let us know if any of the following makes a difference:

- temporarily disabling real-time protection via gui
- temporarily disabling automatic start of real-time protection in the advanced setup and rebooting the computer
- temporarily disabling HIPS in the advanced setup and rebooting the computer
- temporarily disabling protocol filtering in the advanced setup

Also let us know what you are doing when the performance impact is noticeable (e.g copying files, working with a specific application, browsing the web, etc.).

14 hours ago, Peter Randziak said:

well synthetic tests are one thing and real user experience is other

Hi Peter,

Everything in life is based on "synthetic tests"

- want a job? You have to pass an interview, no matter how good are you in real life

- want a driver's license? You have to pass multiple tests, is not important what your mommy says that you are a good driver

Beside these "synthetic tests" there is a consensus on this forum that  v10 is slower than v8;

14 hours ago, Peter Randziak said:

like the memory consumption, which is significantly lower

Who cares about RAM consumption when 8GB is common nowadays.

Edited by MSE

• ESET Moderators

Hello MSE,

Thank you for sharing your opinions.

I said the core application, but a very large part of the functionality is covered by automatically updated modules, which are developed for all versions even those in basic support.

I may agree with partially about the tests, but if you are not a good driver, it is probably just a matter of time until you cause an accident and even if one went through a job interview like a star, he will be probably released from his work once his real capabilities are revealed,...

You would be probably surprised how many user are interested in low resources consumption, especially in the smooth system usage.

The same as about RAM you can say about any other resources like who cares about CPU consumption, when there are multi cores common nowadays, 1 TB disks and so on,...

Regards, P.R.

• Administrators
6 hours ago, MSE said:

Beside these "synthetic tests" there is a consensus on this forum that  v10 is slower than v8.

Please provide a link to such topics. If there was a general problem with v10 performance reported from several users, we would have actively communicated with them, trying to find the root of the issue.

Also I kindly ask you to let us know which of the steps in the instructions I provided in my previous post above resolve the issue for you. That is fundamental to know for further troubleshooting of your issue.

As for the performance tests you pointed out, AV-Test has several scenarios in their performance test. While some are relevant (e.g. launching popular websites), some do not have really an impact on user standard behavior (e.g. installing applications and copying files), and in some other scenarios we might do actual scanning (installation of security suites) while others not (that’s why we look slower, on the other side not to scan imposes a security risk). Also we scan Open Office files with myriads of scripts which takes time while some other AVs simply ignore them. Yes, they are faster because of that but would you feel secure? Besides that this imposes a security risk, what is the real impact for our users? None. How often people install Open Office? Daily? Weekly? Monthly? The same holds true for the other suites they install and measure the install time. And when one installs a suite as large as these, does it matter it takes 4m21s rather 3m45s to install? Will the end-user notice this (one time only) “delay”?

That said, one should take these results with a big grain of salt as without knowing the test method and without assessing the impact on common users, the results may be simply misleading.

On ‎4‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 1:24 AM, Marcos said:

Please provide a link to such topics.

You have one right here:

I am in the same, I have many problems with version 10...

• Administrators
5 hours ago, MSE said:

You have one right here:

I am in the same, I have many problems with version 10...

That's probably not a good example because Hijin25 mentioned a problem with egui crash, not anything related to performance issues. Also nobody else has reported the crash so far but we'll look into it regardless.

Still waiting for an answer to my questions, ie. which of the steps listed in my earlier post helps and resolves the issue for you and what operations you are doing when the performance impact is noticeable.

3 hours ago, Marcos said:

That's probably not a good example because Hijin25 mentioned a problem with egui crash, not anything related to performance issues. Also nobody else has reported the crash so far but we'll look into it regardless.

Still waiting for an answer to my questions, ie. which of the steps listed in my earlier post helps and resolves the issue for you and what operations you are doing when the performance impact is noticeable.

And seems to be the only one that is reported to incidence is ignored me, neither in the incidence I opened in support, nor here in the forum, no one is able to help me see that causes that error. An error unique to V10 and that appeared since version 10.0.390, since before it was not presented and that does not happen with versions 8 and 9 of the program.

19 minutes ago, Hijin25 said:

An error unique to V10 and that appeared since version 10.0.390

I have been on ver. 10.0.390 running on Win 10 x64 1607 for some time and have zip issues with the Eset GUI or anything else for that matter. On the other hand, I had numerous issues using ver. 9 releases.

• Administrators
28 minutes ago, Hijin25 said:

And seems to be the only one that is reported to incidence is ignored me, neither in the incidence I opened in support, nor here in the forum, no one is able to help me see that causes that error. An error unique to V10 and that appeared since version 10.0.390, since before it was not presented and that does not happen with versions 8 and 9 of the program.

Did you contact ESET LA who provide support for Mexico? Did you get a confirmation email with your ticket ID? If so, please provide the ID so that we can ask staff from the branch office to find out the status of your ticket. They should have asked you for a dump from the crash for further analysis by engineers.

2 hours ago, Marcos said:

Did you contact ESET LA who provide support for Mexico? Did you get a confirmation email with your ticket ID? If so, please provide the ID so that we can ask staff from the branch office to find out the status of your ticket. They should have asked you for a dump from the crash for further analysis by engineers.

When I contacted the technical support they tell me that my license exists but my registered data does not match, I already consult my provider, the one who buys the license, and he says that the data I provide is correct. I mean, I'm in limbo. That is why the support can not help me.