Proper SCCM Deployment (Upgrade)?

Staj
Go to solution Solved by Staj,

Has anyone successfully deployed ERA6 and EES6 using their respective MSIs (Not the All-In-One Installer EXEs) through SCCM 2012 R2? We have EES5 deployed through SCCM and wish to deploy ERA6+EES6 soley through SCCM as an upgrade but it seems ESET has only documented deploying ERA6 through SCCM.

Edited by Staj

• ESET Staff

Hello, Once ERA agent is deployed, you can install the EES using the "software install task". If you want to use SCCM to also deploy EES, procedure is the same as in case of V5, however, you will have to activate the clients using "product activation task" after deployment.

• ESET Staff

Has anyone successfully deployed ERA6 and EES6 using their respective MSIs (Not the All-In-One Installer EXEs) through SCCM 2012 R2? We have EES5 deployed through SCCM and wish to deploy ERA6+EES6 soley through SCCM as an upgrade but it seems ESET has only documented deploying ERA6 through SCCM.

Is there any specific configuration parameter you would like to use (and you are not able to find documentation), or it does not work without properties? I would expect that EES/EAV will install without any specific parameters.

We want to use the MSIs so we don't have to script the EXE installs for the entire application's lifecycle (install, detection, removal).

• 3 weeks later...
  • ESET Staff

install_config.ini does not seem to be used for the agent installation despite being in the same directory (As per prerequisites for 6.4 at hxxp://support.eset.com/kb3680/)

msiexec /i "agent_x64.msi" /q

Am I missing something?

Why do you think it is not used? It fails with missing parameters? Also if I recall correctly, loading configuration from this file works only for clean installation, not for upgrade or repair.

• 3 weeks later...

Have you made any progress deploying the endpoint security through SCCM?

I too need to deploy it through SCCM, not ERA.  Deploying the eset agent through SCCM is well documented, but for deploying EES/EAV all I can find are a few vague forum and blog posts.

Edited by Grant E

I plan on doing a write-up once we've done our migration, I've managed to push out both the Agent and the software using the MSIs and ensuring it's dependant on the agent but the last remaining issues are removing the old version through SCCM and ensuring that the new version's Uninstall step actually works.

• ESET Staff

Hello, just to let you know, there is an open task with Endpoint Documentation team, for properly documenting SCCM deployment method for the Endpoint. I will let you know, once published. 

Our current problem is the uninstall step of v5, we managed to remove the product using msiexec but it didn't do it cleanly, systems still claim it's the firewall is being managed by ESET and thus has left the firewall in a mangled state. This is starting to get tedious, not very happy about the lack of a enterprise-friendly migration strategy between v5 to v6.

• Administrators
7 hours ago, Staj said:

Our current problem is the uninstall step of v5, we managed to remove the product using msiexec but it didn't do it cleanly,

Do you mean that after uninstalling EES v5 from any computer Windows continues to report that the firewall is managed by ESET or this problem occurs only on some computers?

Happened to our test batch of computers, it also won't let us reinstall v5 or install v6 either (error code 1603)

Edited by Staj

• 2 weeks later...
  • Solution

We had to wipe our test batch of computers, if we can't get a proper migration strategy working (other than wiping all the systems with Task Sequences) then it might be time to start looking at other products.

Edited by Staj