6.3 client install missing

I've been gradually upgrading our 6.2 clients to 6.3. However, now when creating install tasks, the 6.3 package is no longer available and has been replaced by 6.4.

How do I get 6.3 back in the list of available install packages? 

• ESET Staff

Hello, as of now, it is done in the way, that once the newer version of Endpoint is released, older ones are replaced in the repository. Meaning, since we have added 6.4 to repository, 6.3 was removed. Drawback of this is, that already created software install tasks won´t work (will fail) with a trace message that "package is no longer in repository". We are currently examining options, how to adjust this behavior, meaning either keep the older version in repository somehow, or adjust the task flow, to allow "install automatically the newest version" (however there are some legal issues, related to EULA acceptance, which is valid for a specific build only). In the ERA 6.5 (December) there will be a mechanism, that will warn you about tasks, which are no longer valid.

Removal of EP 6.3 was done also due to the planned release of ERA 6.4, which will have the new functionality of creating the package installers of Agent / Endpoint, however only EP 6.4 will fully support it, so it will prevent some confusion.

Maybe a question, why you want explicitly the version 6.3, respectively what is preventing you from installing the 6.4?

ERA should support application version branches. For instance in McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator there's the "previous", "current" and "evaluation" branch.

This way you get to decide which version is the "current" after going through an evaluation stage and with that you also get the option to rollback if needed.

I don't experience that issue since I use SCCM to deploy ESET but I can understand that a relatively big company can't decide overnight to switch all new machines to a new build without proper testing. Companies often need to have everyone on the same build too.

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for letting us know after the fact. <Sarcasm> I'm in the middle of deploying ESET to 800 PCs, going department by department to minimize disruption. We setup a trigger that runs an "Install ESET Endpoint Antivirus" task when a computer with the ESET Agent but no AV becomes a member of a dynamic group. Everything was going smoothly when we get to the next department and none of the computers are automatically getting the AV deployed and the only information on the Client Task is "Task failed. Try to install the software manually." So I had my Help Desk team installing the software manually until I see there is a new version via this forum.

I go into the task and find that 6.3 is no longer listed and change it to 6.4, and have to click to agree to the terms again. Did you think I changed my mind about deploying and the software agreement? I shouldn't have to click I agree each time I make a change to a deployment task. Doesn't the EULA during ERA installation already cover that anyway? Thanks for breaking our smooth process and having software that breaks when you release an update, that's security and ease of use. <Sarcasm>

Are you guys purposely trying to make your software difficult for SysAdmins? Seriously, your ERA software while it technically "works" most of the time is seriously frustrating. We have enough to do instead of dealing with half baked software and troubleshooting problems you guys create. The best software is one that "just works" and is "easy to use", ERA is neither.

Edited by cbrasga

Maybe a question, why you want explicitly the version 6.3, respectively what is preventing you from installing the 6.4?

Thanks for your reply.

The reason we want version 6.3 right now is this; we have 1600 clients (Win7 and OS X). Due to our larger and varied environment, we like to wait a bit before jumping to the latest release to ensure there aren't any major bugs that will cause issues.  We also need to thoroughly test releases before we deploy them widely. Once we start to upgrade, we still go slowly to ensure we don't have any problems.

So at this point, I'm 25% through rolling out version 6.3 and all of a sudden it's no longer available.  Which means I have to start the whole process over again for version 6.4...

Thanks for letting us know after the fact. <Sarcasm> I'm in the middle of deploying ESET to 800 PCs, going department by department to minimize disruption. We setup a trigger that runs an "Install ESET Endpoint Antivirus" task when a computer with the ESET Agent but no AV becomes a member of a dynamic group. Everything was going smoothly when we get to the next department and none of the computers are automatically getting the AV deployed and the only information on the Client Task is "Task failed. Try to install the software manually." So I had my Help Desk team installing the software manually until I see there is a new version via this forum.

I go into the task and find that 6.3 is no longer listed and change it to 6.4, and have to click to agree to the terms again. Did you think I changed my mind about deploying and the software agreement? I shouldn't have to click I agree each time I make a change to a deployment task. Doesn't the EULA during ERA installation already cover that anyway? Thanks for breaking our smooth process and having software that breaks when you release an update, that's security and ease of use. <Sarcasm>

Are you guys purposely trying to make your software difficult for SysAdmins? Seriously, your ERA software while it technically "works" most of the time is seriously frustrating. We have enough to do instead of dealing with half baked software and troubleshooting problems you guys create. The best software is one that "just works" and is "easy to use", ERA is neither.

Agree.  I dont like to test Eset new release version, I am not a  QA of ESET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• ESET Staff

Thank you for your inputs. We are discussing the possible solutions internally. We have several improvements planned, related to this topic:

1. Offline / Local repository should be available for ERA 6.5 in Q4/2016 (you will be able to choose, which installers are there)
  2. Even when using online repository, you will be able to mark "automatically install the newest version", in case you want to, so the task won´t stop working
  3. Tasks, that will be pointing towards a non-existent package in repository, will be automatically invalidated, not executed, and notifications will be generated in the ERA UX
  4. Last but not least, we do plan to adjust the process of released / uploading the installers into repository (this one is not confirmed yet, we should have a confirmation in upcoming days)

I am sorry for any inconvenience you have. We are not trying to make your life harder, we are constantly improving, to prevent issues like this in the future.