Any computer with ESET installed on kills the internet connectivity for whole network

I have never run into this issue with ESET and very baffled by what is going on. 

Any computer that is introduced to this network (10 computers- 4 have ESET and 6 on windows defender-win 10) with ESET is installed, stops internet connectivity for the other workstations on network. I have had customer even isolate one system with ESET and the NOD32 program and same issue. If customer reboots the router the internet connectivity comes back but only for about half hour max. 

My Troubleshooting:  

1. Had customer monitor network for half a day with no systems with ESET installed and they did not have to reboot the router and internet connectivity held firm. 

2. Called customer back once we confirmed network connectivity was good, and with ESET installed within 30minutes he cannot get online and other users started to report they also cannot get online. This was with NOD32 V9. 

3. Ping to any ip or URL just gives back "ping request could not find host x.com. Please check the name and try again. There is no "request timed out" at all. 

4. Set a static dns on the NIC of 8.8.8.8 and now able to ping ip's and hostnames on the internet but still cannot get online with the browser. Google Chromes spits out message about wrong DNS configuration. 

5. I disabled each module of ESET>> Real time, web access, protocol filtering etc. and still cannot ping out. 

6. If I put the ip address of a website into the address bar It still cannot resolve. 

7. We uninstalled NOD32 and rebooted. 

8. Set the Wireless NIC back to "obtain DNS Automatically" and everything is fine. PING and can get online with no problem. 

I have a wireshark log that I can PM if someone wants to look into this. I am at a point where the tech wants to just have the customers get rid of ESET. Any help would be greatly appreciated on this end. 

Get rid of the tech instead. Something is "fishy" there.

Just my observation.

I will leave to ponder if that is even possible.

Edited by ken1943

• ESET Staff

Hi @tmuster2k,

Can happen after install ESET Smart Security some "X" program can't access the internet,

however never saw a total lost of the connection.

ESET NOD32 Antivirus (any version) has no firewall, that means look the problem in other

site. :) There is no way ENA can block All traffic, you need a firewall for that.

• If you try that problematic laptop in other network, how is going?
  • Reset windows firewall, reboot, test again?

You can generate a ESET Log Collector to dig more into the problem (be sure to mark

the ESET SysInspector log).

NOD32 has no firewall as stated but it does install a NDIS mini-port filter on the network connection that is used by the web protocol filtering feature. My gut tells me that is the issue somehow in this case.

• ESET Staff

Can be, but in 10 computers the same?

Any computer that is introduced to this network with ESET is installed, stops internet connectivity for the other workstations on network.

I will looking for something more in common in those 10 computers,

like:

•  same physical specifications
  • same manufacturer >> error from factory?
  • is a normal well build network? has some special things?
  • if I connect 1 to a Home Internet connection same happens?

perhaps some other logs too can help (added to that I suggest).

Is hard to believe from me that ENA is causing this (probability very low, like 10% to 0%) :)

• Administrators

Did you upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7 or it was a clean install? Does uninstalling ESS and installing it from scratch make a difference? Is ESET Personal Firewall listed in your Ethernet adapter properties and checked?

10 is how many computers they have total in this SOHO network. Most of the systems are on windows 7. ESS is not in play here as it is happening when we install NOD32 as well.  I do have wireshark log for now if that can shed any light on this issue. Will PM this - @Marcos