Windows 10 Updates

I am using ESS 9 with Windows 10. ESET reminds me frequently to install recommended updates.

See similar thread from January https://forum.eset.com/topic/7113-windows-10-operating-system-updates/?hl=windows+update#entry38592

I realize I can turn this feature off in ESS and that this may be more of a Windows 10 problem, but how can I install these recommended updates if Windows is supposed to be installing these for me?

I have that "feature" turned off. In my opinion trying to guess when Microsoft will do anything is plain dumb. You just have to wait for Windows Update to work it's magic. You can also go to

Settings > Update and Security > Advanced Options for more information. The Home edition of Windows 10 has no settings

a user can change and the Pro version has some options to change. I can only guess about the Home version  because I

have pro installed x 3.

Thanks.  That link is what I'm talking about as well. I understand that ESS merely notifies and this seems to be a Windows 10 issue, but it's clearly getting that information from somewhere.  It just seems like Windows 10 is being totally unhelpful. Why bother reporting it if you can't direct the user to the exact driver?

• Most Valued Members

Thanks.  That link is what I'm talking about as well. I understand that ESS merely notifies and this seems to be a Windows 10 issue, but it's clearly getting that information from somewhere.  It just seems like Windows 10 is being totally unhelpful. Why bother reporting it if you can't direct the user to the exact driver?

Carl, i know what you are talking about. This has happened to me twice over the past 2 months or so. It shows there are things like "chipset drivers" and other non critical updates available in eset notifications and when you go to windows update there is none available.

Either reboot or ignore it, it will dissapear ;) . I don't know where this information is being pulled from either but its some sort of weird bug.

post-933-0-88476300-1459264759_thumb.png

Edited by cyberhash

Carl, i know what you are talking about. This has happened to me twice over the past 2 months or so. It shows there are things like "chipset drivers" and other non critical updates available in eset notifications and when you go to windows update there is none available.

Either reboot or ignore it, it will dissapear ;) . I don't know where this information is being pulled from either but its some sort of weird bug.

Do not ignore these updates, these updates are real and its a bug with WINDOWS 10 not with ESS v9 !!!!

Actually, these are not bugs. It's just that the update system is Windows 10 is stupid. If that was Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 ESET would run the old Windows Update and update all the necessary drivers for you automatically as they would be listed in the old Windows Update section under recommended updates or optional updates.  That has been removed in stupid Windows 10 and placed into the settings menu. I thought the same thing until I thought hmmm .... maybe ESS is right. Why do I have 16 recommended system updates? This can't be right .... this has something to do with device manager drivers not being updated by Windows 10 properly and ESET is correct, I do have driver updates.

So I took a screen shot and did it myself, I had 16 of those recommended updates and stupid Windows 10 update could not find any of them but ESET v9 did, and it kept saying I had 16 recommended updates. So thank god it did, because it updated all my drivers, thanks to ESET.

Don't believe me?

Go to CONTROL PANEL > DEVICE MANAGER > SYSTEM DEVICES

Most of those recommended updates you have there cyberhash will probably be under system devices. Find the exact same name that ESET gave you, right click properties on that particular driver, check the date (write it down if you have to) and click update driver. You will see that it will connect to the internet and download the driver and install it and then it will ask you to reboot the system. Even that broadcom driver you have listed with either be under network adapters or whatever bluetooth adapter goes under. You will see, right click it, check properties, check the date and driver version, do update driver and you will see it updates and ask for a computer reset.

This is not a bug in ESET, this is a bug in Windows 10. When you update all your drivers via device manager, you can thank me later, and thank the ESET team that it still finds updated drivers for Windows 10, because Windows 10 is still BETA garbage that cannot even update recommended drivers by ESET, even though this works on Windows 7 and Windows 8.1.

I know because I have an 8.1 machine and a W7 machine and ESS v9 works properly with it. Windows 10 is the BUG here. Not ESS.

If you get these messages, do not ignore them !!!! Manually update your drivers via CONTROL PANEL > DEVICE MANGER.

Depending on what updates you have, most of the updates will be under the SYSTEM DEVICES tab in DEVICE MANAGER!!! Don't ignore the warnings. ESS is good at detecting outdated drivers on your computer.

hxxp://i63.tinypic.com/2myntqp.jpg

post-10772-0-45653600-1459323339_thumb.jpg

post-10772-0-92829400-1459323659_thumb.jpg

Edited by heyyahblah

• Most Valued Members

heyyahblah is right, it is not a bug as ESET just uses the command line interface of Windows Update (you will see the same updates using Command Prompt or via Microsoft's "Show or hide updates" troubleshooter and clicking 'Hide updates' when run to see the list of available updates).

There was a thread about this update mismatch earlier, where I mentioned that my best guess is that Windows 10 is holding back on installing drivers (and Silverlight) automatically as users wanted to manually do it themselves or wanted third party manufacturers to take care of the drivers for their machines (HP, Dell, Toshiba, etc.).

For the moment, set the ESET setting to notify you of 'Critical' updates only (the ones that appear via the Settings app) or disable the feature as Windows 10 will install the updates for you anyway.

Perhaps in the future either Windows will fix the updating mechanism, or ESET will adjust to this current configuration set in Windows 10 in future releases.

Edited by planet

• Most Valued Members

Maybe this was the case for you both where the updates were actually available and needed installed. This was not the case for me and there is clearly a bug.

I update my chipset drivers from the downloads available from Intel , which are currently on V10.1.1.14 . The updates ESET were displaying are the default chipset drivers that were built into the release build of windows 10. Version 10.0.10586 to be precise.

And all my other drivers i update manually from the manufacturer/s too.

When i used the update feature within ESS , i was prompted that the drivers it was trying to overwrite were OLDER than the ones i currently had on my system.

Like i said, there is a bug somewhere. Looks like ESS is advising me to install WHQL drivers over versions that are not yet WHQL tested.

And from the 2 times this has appeared on my system, a reboot or closing the window cleared it.

Maybe its ESET's policy to use/list only WHQL listed drivers, but there will be millions of users around the world that use drivers newer than versions that have still to pass WHQL.

This may not have been the case for you heyyahblah & planet , and im not saying either of you are wrong.

Driver updates is Windows Update biggest problem. I let WU do it twice and got burned. If I remember, there is a way to disable driver updates, but forgot where to look now.

hxxp://www.thewindowsclub.com/stop-windows-7-from-installing-drivers-automatically

Works for Windows 10 also.

Edited by ken1943

• Most Valued Members

When i used the update feature within ESS , i was prompted that the drivers it was trying to overwrite were OLDER than the ones i currently had on my system.

Like i said, there is a bug somewhere. Looks like ESS is advising me to install WHQL drivers over versions that are not yet WHQL tested.

You are right that it lists WHQL drivers, and I think this is an issue related to Windows Update & Windows 10.

The same issue occurs with Microsoft's own troubleshooter tool as explained earlier, see this topic on Windows 10 Forums for an example (there is also an ESS related topic about this issue too). So as both ESS and this troubleshooter tool use the same method of getting those updates, it is most likely an issue with Windows Update itself within Windows 10 and not ESS.

When you get the latest graphics driver from NVIDIA or ATI for example, and you run Windows Update in Windows 7 or Windows 8, etc, you still get an optional update (unchecked) to install the WHQL driver for your graphics card (as you say it is older). This would be the same case now for Windows 10, but these types of updates isn't displayed to us with Windows Update in the Settings app. ESS however, is still showing it the way it would be seen in previous versions of Windows.

post-3006-0-18730300-1459364671_thumb.jpg

(direct link)

In future as a workaround, ESS should change its default setting so it only notifies you of the Critical updates instead of also notifying you about other types updates, since Windows 10 doesn't let you install them via Windows Update at the moment.

Edited by planet

• Most Valued Members

I think Microsoft learned their lesson over the years where people took the "Device Updates" that were showing as available and got "Burned" as ken1943 worded it.

So they took away the possibility of people rendering a system unusable with a "Dubious Hardware Update" and moved it into a troubleshooting section within windows 10, where it is much safer for the less technically minded to "Break" what is already working.

This troubleshooting "Box" is where ESS is getting its information from and can not only be misleading as to hardware updates, but could also take people back to the older windows update problems that previous versions of windows had.

Everybody "Should" go directly to the website of the hardware manufacturer for driver downloads for "Any" hardware, that is running under "Any" version of windows.

Even dedicated applications like "Driver Booster" get it wrong and offer to overwrite non-whql drivers, with older whql approved drivers.

Like you, i believe that only "Critical" updates should be listed within ESS. Showing hardware updates is not a bug as i worded it earlier, but wandering into realms that can cause more problems than it is curing.

Driver updates are not normally necessary if everything is working the way it should, same as bios updates. Microsoft has no way of knowing the

millions of hardware combinations out in the wild. WU driver updates have been known for years to not be trusted. Many of us have

had problems and learned the hard way. I happen to be one of the "nuts" that does bios updates and have been very lucky. Between 7, 8 and 10

there have been numerous bios updates to make hardware work with each OS.

At least I am not involved with Voice Mail systems anymore and never had to use Windows when I did. At least OS/2 almost never crashed.