how can I tell if livegrid is working?

One way is to use the test at the AMTSO website.

On the link below click on "download the cloudcar testfile", if LiveGrid works correctly in your ESET product, then you should see a detection notification.

hxxp://www.amtso.org/feature-settings-check-cloud-lookups/

Note: This file is NOT malicious, but by an industry wide agreement this file is detected as being malicious when Cloud Lookups are enabled so that people may verify that their Anti-Malware product’s cloud detection capability is configured correctly.

Edited by SweX

• Most Valued Members

On the link below click on "download the cloudcar testfile", if LiveGrid works correctly in your ESET product, then you should see a detection notification.

Note: This file is NOT malicious, but by an industry wide agreement this file is detected as being malicious when Cloud Lookups are enabled so that people may verify that their Anti-Malware product’s cloud detection capability is configured correctly.

SweX, Thanks for the Link, very interesting and informative site. All is well :)

the test you mentioned is to show whether the AV is blocking malicious downloads. 

That is not my issue. My understanding is that LiveGrid is something different from that. It signifies that the PC is synced to the cloud and is thus receiving malware defjnitions in realtime, even before the next update takes place

• Administrators

the test you mentioned is to show whether the AV is blocking malicious downloads. 

That is not my issue. My understanding is that LiveGrid is something different from that. It signifies that the PC is synced to the cloud and is thus receiving malware defjnitions in realtime, even before the next update takes place

You're wrong. Cloudcar is meant for testing cloud blocking capabilities of an AV product. It is the eicar test file is used to test detection functionality. That said, if CloudCar is detected as Suspicious object, LiveGrid works alright for you as supposed.

You're wrong. Cloudcar is meant for testing cloud blocking capabilities of an AV product. It is the eicar test file is used to test detection functionality. That said, if CloudCar is detected as Suspicious object, LiveGrid works alright for you as supposed.

thanks!

I failed the test even tho livegrid is enabled, I then clicked the eset link to look for instructions on how to fix and the link is invalid, points to a generic page on the eset site, oh dear. :(

Can someone kindly please state on what I should do next?

Edited by chrcoluk

I failed the test even tho livegrid is enabled, I then clicked the eset link to look for instructions on how to fix and the link is invalid, points to a generic page on the eset site, oh dear. :(

Can someone kindly please state on what I should do next?

Clicking on the ESET logo in "vendors supporting this feature" takes me to eset.com. (would be better if it pointed to a ESET KB article about LiveGrid IMO) Or did you click on some other link ?

If you are the same user from Wilders with a similar username then you use NOD32 right ? If so, do you use a 3'rd party firewall alongside NOD32 ? If so, maybe worth to try and temporarily disable the firewall (plus any other security features it may have) completely and run the test again to make sure all connections necessary are allowed and that no security features blocks anything. Plus any other security apps you may have installed, to troubleshoot this. I am not sure if LiveGrid needs any allow rule created in standalone firewalls to work properly. But I don't think it does :unsure:

And you are sure LiveGrid is enabled ?

hxxp://support.eset.com/kb5552/

Edited by SweX

Hi.

As confirmed on wilders.

Livegrid is enabled in all modules including real time scanner module.

Protocol filtering options are both enabled.

The eset live grid only works for me when http module is enabled, doesnt work on local file scans. I believe this is a bug so reporting it.

Also software is activated with valid license.

Marcos will PM you later tonight or tomorrow with info you requested.

Edited by chrcoluk

• 1 year later...

I'm new to ESET and I tried the link above, but got the following message:

"HTTP 5 error

That's odd...the website can't display this page.

This site may be under maintenance or could have a programming error  Try this...click to go back a page"

Which makes it sound like ESET is not working on my computer.  What do I need to do to correct this?

4 hours ago, Noodles said:

I'm new to ESET and I tried the link above, but got the following message:

"HTTP 5 error

That's odd...the website can't display this page.

This site may be under maintenance or could have a programming error  Try this...click to go back a page"

Which makes it sound like ESET is not working on my computer.  What do I need to do to correct this?

Appears the AMTSO web site is down. Try it again later.

If the AMSTO web site is down - does this mean ESET was not working?

I tried this morning and got the following, is this what to expect?:

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /feature-settings-check-cloud-lookups/ on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Apache Server at www.amtso.org Port 80

• Administrators

Amtso.org only hosts cloudcar.exe which is an innocuous file used to test LiveGrid's functionality. Whether the website is up or down has no effect on LiveGrid.

• Most Valued Members
7 hours ago, Noodles said:

If the AMSTO web site is down - does this mean ESET was not working?

I tried this morning and got the following, is this what to expect?:

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /feature-settings-check-cloud-lookups/ on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Apache Server at www.amtso.org Port 80

There are other tests online such as this one I have used in the past hxxp://www.eicar.org/85-0-Download.html

• Administrators
2 hours ago, peteyt said:

There are other tests online such as this one I have used in the past hxxp://www.eicar.org/85-0-Download.html

Don't confuse eicar with cloudcar. While the former serves to test detection, the latter serves to test LiveGrid's functionality.

Cloudcar is downloadable from http://amtso.security-features-check.com/cloudcar.exe.

Actually if you want to know if LiveGrid is working, just access "Tools" from the Eset GUI and select the LiveGrid option. You will see a screen as shown below that shows the reputation of all running processes on your PC.

Eset_LiveGrid.png

AMTSO web site is back online. So anyone wanting to perform the "cloudcar" test can now do so.

What should be displayed is shown in the below screen shot:

Eset_AMTSO.png

Edited by itman