ESET 9 causes CCleaner slowness

I upgraded to SS9 a week or so ago and ever since I have found that the "analyze" function in CCleaner to be very slow.  Today, just on a hunch, I paused Smart Security protection (not the firewall) and then found CCleaner to be as responsive at it once was.  Even if the folders that CCleaner analyzes are completely empty, it is slow as long as SS protection is enabled.

Does the problem persist if you install the latest eamonm.sys driver as per the instructions in this topic? https://forum.eset.com/topic/6413-excel-2016-slow-to-close-eset-9/

Thank you...this seems to have fixed the issue.  Will this new driver be included in the next update?

OMG!...this updated driver cures all my lag related issues I've been seeing with my pc since installing ESS9, CCleaner now superfast, windows update check speed "normal", and no general lag!...what a difference 1 file can make!

• Administrators

IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please temporarily downgrade to v8 until a new service build of v9 addressing the issue is ready. We've just found out that merely replacing the driver does not suffice and due to dependencies between drivers and dlls real-time protection would not work.

• Administrators

Wow....it may be time to find something else to replace ESS.  This is a major FAIL!

I'm sorry but I don't understand. Thousands of users have used beta version for several months and nobody had reported the issue discussed in this topic and we didn't encounter it during in-depth pre-release testing either. Otherwise it would have been fixed before the final release. If you experience some performance or whatever issues with v9, you can downgrade to v8 without losing any important functionality.

No software is perfect, even Microsoft is going to release Windows 10 Threshold 2 with a relatively critical bug reported by ESET which will be fixed some time after the release.

Thanks Marcos.  I suppose I did over react, but it seems like more and more software companies are releasing their products too early leaving the consumer to suffer.  I have always had good experiences with ESS so I won't bail now because of this, I can assure you.  :)

Can I just go back the original version of the driver or is it best to go back to v8?  I can live with pausing ESS protection when I want to run CCleaner.

The critical point is that some users with similar problems were advised to use the new eamonm.sys driver and had no real time protection the whole time, I just tested it on my PC with the eicar file.

I have also used the new driver for over 2 weeks now as recommended and coincidentally read this thread. Otherwise I would't know about this issue.

Now I restored the original driver.

Edited by User

I restored the previous version of the driver instead of reverting back to v8.  Am I fully protected once again?  Interstingly enough, the CCleaner slowness issue is no longer present, which makes me wonder. 

Update:  I tried to download the EICAR file and ESS detected that it was a virus and closed the connection, so I presume I am protected.  I also ran CCleaner again and it was slow, so now I feel good about being protected.  :D

Edited by am_dew

Eset still detects the Eicar test file with the updated driver installed for me

When you download it via http/https it is detected by web protection.

But it is the much more important real time protection that doesn't work:

Try the following: Deactivate ESS for a moment, download the eicar file, activate ESS again and then doubleclick on the eicar file...

Edited by User

• 2 weeks later...

I also use CCLeaner, but I don't leave it resident. I use it once a month and I don't activate it otherwise.  I have no problems with either the ESET or the CCleaner.  I just don't keep CCleaner loaded all the time. It isn't necessary.

• 5 weeks later...

I just installed SS 9.0.349.0 and it seems to have fixed the CCleaner issue.  I also tested to be sure that SS9 was still protecting by trying to download the EICAR test file and it blocked it, so I presume all is well.

Thank you!