getting an error when rebooting computer with new version 9

blinkmx

hi i recently upgraded to version 9 of nod32 over my previous version installation and all seems fine but when i reboot the computer when nod32 starts i get an error it says an error occured while starting proxy server analysis of application protocols http,POP3,IMAP and my protection gets disable i have to enable them manually.should i unistall version 9 and do a clean install?

Hello,

I have exactly the same problem during Windows 7 Pro 64bits boot or reboot. But after a few moments, when you clear the NOD 32 warning, the tasbar icon of NOD32 gets green and no more trace of that warning.

Also I couldn't start SysInspector via the program list in the Start Menu. You can see in the task manager that it is trying to start, but seems to hang indefinitely. Only at OS shutdown will you hear the dreaded "gong" of something going wrong, before the computer completely shuts down. After that I didn't fancy to go on with troubleshooting and came back to version 8.0.319 which works flawlessly.

For your info, I did an upgrade install first, and after that error report I did a clean install of version 9, but to no avail.

I'll wait for an update of version 9 before reinstalling it.

I am encountering the exact same issue.

I have installed version 9 on the following systems:

2 Win7 (SP-1) x64

1 Win 8.1 x32

1 Win 8.1 x64

The two Win7 systems are (almost) identically configured software-wise. One is a Dell desktop (OptiPlex 755), the other a Dell XPS15 (L501X).

The issue only has manifested itself on the XPS15 laptop. Since upgrading to v9 (last Tuesday, the day it was released), I have probably rebooted at least a dozen times (I normally shut down completely at night, and have rebooted several times for updates, etc.).

Twice, only on the XPS15, upon a fresh boot -- the error message below has appeared. So, it's not every boot, and seems random.

Further, when I then open the ESET main window while the error message is still visible in the pop up window -- the main ESET interface shows I AM completely protected (no red or orange "warnings," just a green check mark), and the protocol filtering is turned on and shows no signs of not being active. Also, the icon in the task tray has not had a red exclamation point or otherwise been displayed as anything other than then the normal (all systems go) ESET icon.

On both occasions where I have seen this message, I have rebooted the computer -- and the message has not reoccurred upon reboot.

Based on this behavior, I am guessing that it's a "timing" issue. In other words, ESET is checking to make sure the feature is working correctly, but has not completely entered into memory yet, gets a "did not load" message, but then subsequently loads successfully.

But, anything more you can provide (including a fix!) would be appreciated, as any errors with security software make me nervous ;-).

Thanks!

P.S. As this may be relevant ... On all of my systems, I have Office 2013 installed. But, only on the XPS15, is Outlook 2013 configured and active. (I have never even run Outlook on the other systems.) Also, I have the check-boxes ticked off for all the email client integration options, even though the only email client installed on all these systems is Outlook 2013 (32-bit version of Office on all systems).

Edited by howardagoldberg

• ESET Moderators

Hello,

According to our developers, they already know the cause of the issue and the fix should be distributed in a future update.

Thank you for your patience.

Hello,

According to our developers, they already know the cause of the issue and the fix should be distributed in a future update.

Thank you for your patience.

Will this be a module update (like HIPS), or a full-blown program update/upgrade? In other words, will we get the fix automatically?

In the interim, is there any security risk?

Timeframe for getting the fix?

Edited by howardagoldberg

• ESET Moderators

The fix should be distributed automatically.

From the nature of the issue, the notification is just triggered before the protection manages to start, so there is no security risk.

As for the timeframe, it has not yet been set, but I believe it should not take long.

The fix should be distributed automatically.

From the nature of the issue, the notification is just triggered before the protection manages to start, so there is no security risk.

As for the timeframe, it has not yet been set, but I believe it should not take long.

Fantastic! So, I was correct in that it was a "timing issue?" ;-)

Any update on an ETA for when this issue will be resolved? The "error" message displayed again this morning (Monday, 10/26 6:30 a.m. Eastern U.S.) on boot. (Icon was green, main GUI showed "fully protected." Please advise. Thanks!

• ESET Moderators

Any update on an ETA for when this issue will be resolved? The "error" message displayed again this morning (Monday, 10/26 6:30 a.m. Eastern U.S.) on boot. (Icon was green, main GUI showed "fully protected." Please advise. Thanks!

As I replied in the other thread where you asked (https://forum.eset.com/topic/6353-protocol-filtering-problem-error-message/), there is no ETA yet, but it should before the end of the year.

However, the issue does not present any security risk - as soon as the icon turns green, the protection has fully started.

We have published a Knowledgebase article for this issue: 

"An error occurred while starting proxy server. Analysis of application protocols (HTTP, POP3, IMAP) will not function" error message (9.x)

hxxp://support.eset.com/kb5676/

I am a bit confused. Up until this KB was published, the guidance provided was that an automatic update would resolve the issue. Should we now follow the guidance provided in the article (even if the icon goes to green, etc.)? Please advise. Thanks!

• Administrators

I am a bit confused. Up until this KB was published, the guidance provided was that an automatic update would resolve the issue. Should we now follow the guidance provided in the article (even if the icon goes to green, etc.)? Please advise. Thanks!

That's what the KB article says: This error notification is triggered before protection is active. When protection is active, the icon will be green. An automatic fix will be distributed via a PCU update soon.

That's what the KB article says: This error notification is triggered before protection is active. When protection is active, the icon will be green. An automatic fix will be distributed via a PCU update soon.

Actually, last night ... the KB article recommended doing a "repair" installation to resolve the issue. The article that the link points to now is different than what was posted 12 hours ago!  :-). Thanks!

I get this error msg too. It started 11/5/2015 after installing these Windows updates (see attachment). I thought maybe the problem was due to these updates so I uninstalled them(since they are optional anyway), but the problem persists.

post-9625-0-52671600-1447004625_thumb.jpg

Edited by texshooter