Not updating to Win10 at the moment

beancounter

I tried the Win10 upgrade on two of my PCs.

The first attempt was on a Win 7 PRO (64 bit) desktop with NOD32 8.0.319 installed. After the Win10 upgrade it wouldn't connect to the network although the device manager said the network adapter was working correctly.

The second attempt was on a Win 7 PRO (64 bit) laptop with ESET Smart Security 8.0.319 installed. It connected to the network OK but the ESET Smart Security GUI kept crashing and I couldn't see the ESET service in the list of running services. Some of the other applications that I use also failed to run without issues.

Before I attempted the upgrades I took a back up image of each PC's hard drive and I have restored both machines to their Win7 states. In 2016 I plan to start replacing older PCs and I figure that, by then, Microsoft and other software vendors will have ironed out the wrinkles.

I have stuck with MS Windows over the years because most of the software tools that I use to make a living have only been developed for Windows. I am currently thinking that any PC that doesn't need Windows should be switched to Linux. 

I would never ever do an OS upgrade. what I did on all my systems is upgrade them, the moment they were upgraded, I took note of the new product key that was upgraded using a product key viewer then I saved it somewhere safe.

Next is I did a clean installation of Windows 10 by formatting the HDD and then the moment I went online I used that key and the system was activated.

For more details on how to install Windnows 10 and eliminate all privacy concerns, please see the guide I compiled here:

NBR Windows 10 Clean Installation Guide

A clean install certainly makes sense. Since it generally takes me a couple of days to get a new PC setup I still plan to wait until I replace the existing PCs in the new year. I am going to have to replace them anyway and, with a new PC, the installed drivers should work properly. In the meantime any PC that doesn't need the windows only applications will gradually be converted to Linux.

• 2 months later...

You expect an upgrade to a completely new software with an installed security suite that blocks all kind of stuff to work?
Are you serious? You are not using computers for that long are you?

You won't have a good time with linux if that kind of stuff already bothers you. The only reason linux is pretty safe is that no one uses it and crackers haven't yet considered it to be worthwhile for time spending.