Agent is waking up computers

Hi all

With the latest version of the agent - 6.2.171.0 - we're getting a few compuiters being woken up every few windows (all are Win 8.1 Pro x64).

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.3.9600]
© 2013 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>powercfg -lastwake
Wake History Count - 1
Wake History [0]
  Wake Source Count - 1
  Wake Source [0]
    Type: Wake Timer
    Owner: [sERVICE] \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Program Files\ESET\RemoteAdministra
tor\Agent\ERAAgent.exe (EraAgentSvc)
    Owner Supplied Reason: generic

C:\Windows\system32>

The computers are on remote sites with no ERA6 locally installed, and therefore things like "wake up" don't apply.

Can anyone suggest why the agent might be waking up the PCs?

Many thanks

Jim

Hi Peter

i don't see an option for Trace level but I do see Diagnostics, so I've set it to that.  But now I can;t find a Trace.Log file - various files in C:\ProgramData\ESET\ESET Endpoint Antivirus\Logs but  not one by that name

Many thanks

Jim

• Administrators

Trace verbosity can be configured via agent's policy. Also the agent trace log is located at C:\ProgramData\ESET\RemoteAdministrator\Agent\EraAgentApplicationData\Logs\trace.log.

Thanks Marcos, I can't believe I missed that :-)

I've enabled verbosity and applied the policy, then put the computer to sleep. It was awake within 1 minute or so (approx 06:56 int he logs). We also have TeamViewer Host installed on that computer (actually, on all our 100+ computers) and this is happening to at least a dozen computers. in each case, it's the Agent doing the wakeup. it didn't happen with the old agent.

agent_trace.log

Edited by Marcos
Log moved to a file

• ESET Moderators

Hello Jim,

thank you very much for reporting this issue and for providing us with necessary logs to diagnose it.

The Dev team have found the root cause and is working on a fix.

We will keep you posted about this.

P.R.

Fantastic, many thanks Peter. I'd be more than happy to test any new build as I have several machines I can reliably recreate this on.

Many thanks for the quick reply.

Jim

Hello,

I'm evaluating ESET with the remote administrator server, and experience the same problem on my Windows 7 laptop. The ESET Remote Administrator Agent is version 6.2.171.0. It can easy be tested by running powercfg -waketimers from the command prompt - there are timers associated with the agent.

The current setup was not acceptable for me, as my laptop wakes in the bag and overheats/drains baterry, so I've removed the agent.

Is there a way that I can install some older version of the agent, so I can continue my evaluation?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Agent was updated last week. Please send an ERA Component Upgrade task to the computers for agent to upgrade automatically to the latest version which addresses the issue.

Agent was updated last week. Please send an ERA Component Upgrade task to the computers for agent to upgrade automatically to the latest version which addresses the issue.

Do you test your products internally? I mean, something like internal beta test team?

Of course they do.

Check out the recent changelog for TeamViewer, a very widely-used remote access utility:

Version 10.0.45862

• Fixed a bug that caused TeamViewer to periodically wake up Windows from standby
  • Fixed a problem where sometimes wrong scaling settings were used during a remote session
  • Minor improvements and fixes

So no software developer is immune from bugs, no matter how much testing they do.

Jim

Of course they do.

Check out the recent changelog for TeamViewer, a very widely-used remote access utility:

Version 10.0.45862

• Fixed a bug that caused TeamViewer to periodically wake up Windows from standby
  • Fixed a problem where sometimes wrong scaling settings were used during a remote session
  • Minor improvements and fixes

So no software developer is immune from bugs, no matter how much testing they do.

Jim

Of course no one is immune to bugs in software. Even larger names like Microsoft. I was more interested in answer if they do have test team, will they report if this problem is due to strange OS behavior that they needed to adopt to, third party app that generated compatibility problem or is it just bug in code.

My guess is that it was a code bug. I had a PM chat with ESET and Is ent them the logs, and they came back and said "our devs have had a look at the logs and found the problem, it will be fixed in the next build". They found it very quickly (a couple or hours between me sending the logs and getting a reply) so I guess they spotted a coding error.