HIPS- "Communication with driver failed. HIPS is inactive"- after windows 10 Upgrade

tmuster2k

Customer recently upgrade to Windows 10 and after the upgrade HIPS was not working. Events show "Communication with driver failed. HIPS is inactive". I did a full uninstall including removal of all ESET remnants and disabled Malwarebytes Real time protection. BTW- All malwarebytes modules are enabled. SFC /scannow came about good.

DId another install and same issue. I toggled HIPS OFF and ON and same issue. Pre-release updates did not resolve issue.

Please advise of any further troubleshooting.

Edited by tmuster2k

Customer recently upgrade to Windows 10 and after the upgrade HIPS was not working. Events show "Communication with driver failed. HIPS is inactive". I did a full uninstall including removal of all ESET remnants and disabled Malwarebytes Real time protection. BTW- All malwarebytes modules are enabled. SFC /scannow came about good.

DId another install and same issue. I toggled HIPS OFF and ON and same issue. Pre-release updates did not resolve issue.

Please advise of any further troubleshooting.

DISREGARD THIS POST. User is on Evaluation Copy of Windows 10 thus NO HIPS. 

• Administrators

Thanks for letting us know. HIPS has a list of supported OS so if one uses a non-standard build, issues can be expected.

• Administrators

That's weird as 6.2.9200 is associated with Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012, not with Windows 10. Would you please run winver command and post a screen shot of it here?

• Administrators

Hi all,

I have the same problem in an Endpoint 5 after upgrade to Win 10, both are licensed correctly (ESET and Windows).

Any advice or you need logs?

Could you confirm that you have Windows 10 build 10240 installed? Build 10525 available on fast ring is not supported.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Sorry by the delay, attached info.

The first 5.X version, which supports Win 10 (final) official is 5.0.2254. The windows Build number is 10.0.10240. 

Regarding to this doc, your version should be fine.

The Build number on your screenshot is from Windows8/Windows Server 2012

BTW, some of our customers reported, that hips even not work on a clean 10240 installation. (No Upgrade etc)

Edited by Megachip

• Administrators

I have the same problem with HIPS on my system as well. I'm running build 10532. It was a clean install of windows 10, then nod32 then reinstalled twice, still HIPS won't enable. 

The latest build of Windows 10 which is currently supported by ESET is 10240. If you have opted for insider preview builds (fast ring updates), HIPS will not work. In the future, we plan to make HIPS work with such builds with limited functionality.

I have the same problem with HIPS on my system as well. I'm running build 10532. It was a clean install of windows 10, then nod32 then reinstalled twice, still HIPS won't enable. 

The latest build of Windows 10 which is currently supported by ESET is 10240. If you have opted for insider preview builds (fast ring updates), HIPS will not work. In the future, we plan to make HIPS work with such builds with limited functionality.

That's good news for Windows Insiders Marcos, thanks.

Okay, btw is HIPS the only feature you're aware of that is disabled for insider builds?

What is "Windows Insiders"??

You can sign up with Microsoft as a Windows Insider and receive preview builds of Windows 10. This is not really advisable on your main PC though

due to the possibility of the preview builds containing bugs.

• ESET Staff

Thanks @DinGo.

@Marcos, I'm not in "Windows Insider" program, is just a normal laptop upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10.

In link you find the info you requested about Windows version.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/czyd76e988xbqsg/win10ver-eset-endpoitv5.png?dl=0

How this HIPS problem can be fix?

Edited by Gonzalo Alvarez

• Administrators

I am getting this error now with V8 on a Windows 7 SP1 machine?

Please run the command ver and post the version number you'll get here. It'd be better to create a new topic as this one is related to Windows 10.

I am getting this error now with V8 on a Windows 7 SP1 machine?

Please run the command ver and post the version number you'll get here. It'd be better to create a new topic as this one is related to Windows 10.

Windows Ver: 6.1.7601

ESET Ver: 8.0.312.0

Cheers!

B

Having problems connecting with server we just renewed ESET NOD32 and we have downloaded Windows 10 onto a new computer that had Windows 8 and having problems connecting to the server can someone please help and tell me why this is happening so I can fix

• Administrators

Having problems connecting with server we just renewed ESET NOD32 and we have downloaded Windows 10 onto a new computer that had Windows 8 and having problems connecting to the server can someone please help and tell me why this is happening so I can fix

Unfortunately, it's not clear why you've posted in this topic. Is the issue somehow related to the communication issue of HIPS that is discussed here? What server do you mean? If your issue is not related, move it to a new topic please.

• ESET Staff

(updated)

Found this in other thread, and as mention in there was not very clear when was mention. :(

ESET Staff - The issue with "incompatible" Win10 builds (published to Fast ring) will be solved in final v9 release.

Edited by Gonzalo Alvarez

• 1 month later...