No start of the inspect

• ESET Staff

As the problem is with MySQL being unable to start, you will need to look at the following logs/files for problems.

• C:\ProgramData\MySQL\MySQL Server 8.0\my.ini
  • C:\ProgramData\MySQL\MySQL Server 8.0\Data\%ServerName%.err
    • Replace %ServerName% with the name of your server.
    • Examine the end of this log for any entries which line up with when you attempt to start the MySQL service.  This can help identify configuration problems, corruption, or lack of free RAM/Memory at start of service, or some other issue.

Hardware requirements to double check:

1. Verify there is at least 26 GB of free RAM/Memory prior to attempting to start MySQL
    • This is the main issue I see when an On-Prem inspect server stops working after weeks/months/years of working fine, but no one is managing Inspect on a daily basis.
    • This is assuming the my.ini is properly configured to allow MySQL to allocate up to 80% of all RAM (your screenshot shows the server having 32GB of RAM) to itself.  Its not uncommon for systems using lower amounts of RAM to no longer have enough free RAM available to allow MySQL to start properly after months of Inspect data has been logged.  This can be an even bigger issue when Inspect is not being managed daily to resolve detections.
    • I recommend to watch the available memory via "TaskManager's Performance Tab" while starting the MySQL service, you might see that all available memory gets used up, or very close to 100% used.  If this is the case...more RAM will need to be installed/added.
    • The fix for this would be to increase the available RAM and to adjust the my.ini configuration accordingly (both innodb_buffer_pool_size and innodb_log_file_size
  2. Verify there is enough free space on each hard disk (from the logs you provided, this is likely not the issue).

Other thoughts:

• Inspect version 1.12 is installed.  Latest available is v2.1.  But its likely you will need to correct the MySQL problems prior to upgrading.  If MySQL wont run, then upgrading will fail.