Updating version 6 clients

We have recently downloaded and installed the Endpoint version 6 client.   I thought the version 6 client would be able to receive DAT updates from our version 5 Remote  Admin server via mirror, but we receive the message Virus Signature Database  update ended with an error....Unidentified server response.  I installed version 6 RAS and I see mirror updates is not available with this version.  Anyway to avoid having version 6 clients go out to ESET for updates ?  Thanks

• Former ESET Employees

You are correct in that the version 6 Remote Administrator no longer has the mirror built in.  With that said though, the clients still have the ability to create a mirror server and host the updates.  In most of the instances we are seeing, the techs are usually setting up the ESET File Security install on the Remote Administrator server machine as the mirror, which is found by entering the advanced settings menu, then Updates>Mirror.  It still needs port 2221 to be opened in the firewall, and the server connection address for the updates is still in the hxxp://%servername%:2221 format.

Anthony,

Thanks for the info.  Oddly enough, we were able to download the File Server software for version 5, but with version 6 we are being told we have no license.  So I setup a Windows 8 VM with Eset Endpoint software and configured it as a mirror.  Still not working though.  But, thanks for responding.

• Administrators

ESET products v6 can only be updated either directly from ESET's servers (e.g. via Apache Web Proxy that is a part of the ERA v6 bundle) or from a mirror created by Endpoint v6. Updates from a mirror created by older versions shouldn't work.

• 2 weeks later...

ESET products v6 can only be updated either directly from ESET's servers (e.g. via Apache Web Proxy that is a part of the ERA v6 bundle) or from a mirror created by Endpoint v6. Updates from a mirror created by older versions shouldn't work.

Why that increase of complexity? So I had to setup and maintain X mirros (for every version) insead of one?

Is there anywhere a matrix which software can update from which mirror?

• ESET Moderators

Hello,

Endpoint v.5 and ERA v.5 maintains only mirror for modules, which are relevant for it.

I would recommend you to keep v.5 mirror for v.5 clients and use caching proxy for v.6 clients until you complete migration of all clients to v.6.

Benefit of caching proxy is that it downloads only files which are really needed by the clients as opposed to the mirror, which always downloaded all the files even those which weren't used.