ESET INTERNET SECURITY not working after 17.0.15

After the product update i have restarted the pc, taskbar Eset icon missing, on the search bar i have typed eset and it give me a error "your organization used device guard to block this app".

please refer to my screenshot. I am using windows 10 pro. I am scared it will happen to my other pc machines also. (how to stop application updates to ver 17 on those pcs ?) .

I am using this machine for 3+ years, this is the first time i have came to this issue previously after system startup it updates to newer version without issue.

quick help appreciated.

@Marcos

eset new version issue.png

This is a strange one.

According to Microsoft, Device Guard is only now being used in HVCI - memory integrity processing: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/application-security/application-control/introduction-to-device-guard-virtualization-based-security-and-windows-defender-application-control . Otherwise, WDAC in Win 10 Pro handles everything.

I don't have WDAC enabled on my Win 10 Pro x(64) 22H2 build. This might be the explanation why I didn't encounter the issue in my previous testing of ESSP ver. 17.0.13. However at the end of that testing, I was getting system lockup after system startup as describe here: https://forum.eset.com/topic/38669-ver-1703-secure-search-issue/?do=findComment&comment=175389 . Hence, my recommendation not to release ver. 17 to production which Eset ignored.

what should i do now, i have restarted the machine couple of times, but same error continues, step by step help needed from ESET, I am using ESET for 15+ years, waiting for the support.

7 minutes ago, itman said:

This is a strange one.

According to Microsoft, Device Guard is only now being used in HVCI - memory integrity processing: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/application-security/application-control/introduction-to-device-guard-virtualization-based-security-and-windows-defender-application-control . Otherwise, WDAC in Win 10 Pro handles everything.

I don't have WDAC enabled on my Win 10 Pro x(64) 22H2 build. This might be the explanation why I didn't encounter the issue in my previous testing of ESSP ver. 17.0.13. However at the end of that testing, I was getting system lockup after system startup as describe here: https://forum.eset.com/topic/38669-ver-1703-secure-search-issue/?do=findComment&comment=175389 . Hence, my recommendation not to release ver. 17 to production which Eset ignored.

Dear @itman any steps to resolve the issue?

On your other Win 10 Pro devices, you can block Eset auto upgrading to ver. 17 per below screen shot.

On the device with Win Device Manager issue, your only option is;

1. Export your existing Eset settings if modifications from defaults settings made.

2. Uninstall ver. 17.

3. Download and install ver. 16 from here: https://support.eset.com/en/kb2885-download-and-install-eset-offline-or-install-older-versions-of-eset-products .

4. If previous Eset settings exported, import those settings into ver. 16.

Eset_Product.thumb.png.b45a6c90548122cb6435669ef9e57ff6.png

Edited by itman

My pc system information -  Windows 10 Pro, 1703, 15063.11 (Azure code signing not supported) but i don't think it is the case since it applies on December 2023.

1 minute ago, Tim_01 said:

Windows 10 Pro, 1703, 15063.11

This might be your issue. I don't know how thoroughly Eset tested ver. 17 on unsupported Win 10 versions.

15 minutes ago, itman said:

On your other Win 10 Pro devices, you can block Eset auto upgrading to ver. 17 per below screen shot.

On the device with Win Device Manager issue, your only option is;

1. Export your existing Eset settings if modifications from defaults settings made.

2. Uninstall ver. 17.

3. Download and install ver. 16 from here: https://support.eset.com/en/kb2885-download-and-install-eset-offline-or-install-older-versions-of-eset-products .

4. If previous Eset settings exported, import those settings into ver. 16.

Eset_Product.thumb.png.b45a6c90548122cb6435669ef9e57ff6.png

Thank you very much for taking your time and helping me, appreciated. so is it the only option i am having uninstall the product and install it again, is there is a workaround?

I AM SCARED THAT SAME ISSUE WILL OCCUR AFTER FRESH INSTALL OF VER 16. By the way i can't export  my existing Eset settings because i don't have access to the product.

Edited by Tim_01

• Administrators

Thank you for the heads-up. We have found out that a condition for installation on non-ACS systems was not enabled. We are working on a fix. It should not be possible to install v17 on an outdated operating system unless it supports Azure Code Signing.

11 minutes ago, itman said:

This might be your issue. I don't know how thoroughly Eset tested ver. 17 on unsupported Win 10 versions.

yes that is why we are worried, if the OS not supported, ESET should not auto update to the newer version, keep the version as it is.

3 minutes ago, Marcos said:

Thank you for the heads-up. We have found out that a condition for installation on non-ACS systems was not enabled. We are working on a fix. It should not be possible to install v17 on an outdated operating system unless it supports Azure Code Signing.

SO PLEASE tell me what should i do now, please go through the topic and replies and guided me sooner.

as @itman mentioned developers should go it thoroughly before releasing the newer version and indepth scan issue also not fixed yet, more than a month. From my understanding if a new version released basic elements like indepth scan issues should be fixed for a user to test the new product with the scan.

• Administrators

If you don't have any custom rules or other settings, uninstall v17 and install v16.2. Otherwise export the settings and import them into 16.2.

Please note that after December 8 it will not be possible to install ESET on systems without ACS support or at least not without temporarily shifting the system date backwards. This is because Microsoft deprecated cross-signing program: https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/topic/kb5022661-windows-support-for-the-azure-code-signing-program-4b505a31-fa1e-4ea6-85dd-6630229e8ef4.

3 minutes ago, Marcos said:

If you don't have any custom rules or other settings, uninstall v17 and install v16.2. Otherwise export the settings and import them into 16.2.

Please note that after December 8 it will not be possible to install ESET on systems without ACS support or at least not without temporarily shifting the system date backwards. This is because Microsoft deprecated cross-signing program: https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/topic/kb5022661-windows-support-for-the-azure-code-signing-program-4b505a31-fa1e-4ea6-85dd-6630229e8ef4.

in this scenario i do have custom rules but how can i export them because Eset is not opening on my machine?? any suggestions?

by the way please inform developers to stop this update until the issue been solve, otherwise many pcs will effect from this like mine.

Edited by Tim_01

• Administrators
23 minutes ago, Tim_01 said:

in this scenario i do have custom rules but how can i export them because Eset is not opening on my machine?? any suggestions?

by the way please inform developers to stop this update until the issue been solve, otherwise many pcs will effect from this like mine.

We haven't released automatic update; it was downloaded only for those who ran update manually. Currently it is stopped except the pre-release update channel.

We are currently trying to come up with a solution for you so if it's important to keep the configuration and rules, please wait a bit. If it's not important and you can create the rules from scratch, you can go ahead and uninstall v17 and install v16.2.

2 minutes ago, Marcos said:

We haven't released automatic update; it was downloaded only for those who ran update manually. Currently it is stopped except the pre-release update channel.

We are currently trying to come up with a solution for you so if it's important to keep the configuration and rules, please wait a bit. If it's not important and you can create the rules from scratch, you can go ahead and uninstall v17 and install v16.2.

Rules are important for me is there are any solution without uninstalling the product and installing again?

Do i need to stop application update on my other pcs (with Win 10 older versions) because they are also not ACS supported and does it auto updated to 17?

18 minutes ago, Marcos said:

At least for Eset Anti-Virus it was offered thru automatic updates.  I would not have manually updated otherwise.

More issues I have downloaded Eset 16 from here https://support.eset.com/en/kb2885-download-and-install-eset-offline-or-install-older-versions-of-eset-products, it shows 17.0.15 when tried install it gives outdated operating system, PLEASE CAN I HAVE VERSION 16 QUICK AS POSSIBLE

Eset.jpg

ESET 2.jpg

Eset 3.jpg