Deployed OVF Template

So, I've deployed the ERAC as a virtual appliance. I had to go through some gyrations since the OVA failed to deploy every time. After unpacking it to OVF and associated vmdk it successfully deploys. There are some errors given during the initial setup:

The OVF package is valid but consider the following warnings.

Line 154: Unable to parse 'use3dRenderer' for attribute 'key' on element 'Config'.

Line 132: Unable to parse 'slotInfo.pciSlotNumber' for attribute 'key' on element 'Config'.

Line 165: Unable to parse 'slotInfo.pciSlotNumber' for attribute 'key' on element 'Config'.

Line 193: Unable to parse 'slotInfo.pciSlotNumber' for attribute 'key' on element 'Config'.

Line 198: Unable to parse 'firmware' for attribute 'key' on element 'Config'.

Line 199: Unable to parse 'virtualCH7MPresent' for attribute 'key' on element 'Config'.

Line 200: Unable to parse 'virtualSMCPresent' for attribute 'key' on element 'Config'.

Line 202: Unable to parse 'nestedHVEnabled' for attribute 'key' on element 'Config'.

Line 198: Unable to parse 'firmware' for attribute 'key' on element 'Config'.

Line 199: Unable to parse 'virtualCH7MPresent' for attribute 'key' on element 'Config'.

Line 200: Unable to parse 'virtualSMCPresent' for attribute 'key' on element 'Config'.

Line 202: Unable to parse 'nestedHVEnabled' for attribute 'key' on element 'Config'.

However it does set up correctly. After this I power the machine up and am hit with this error.

Server configuration failed.

See /root/appliance-configuration-log.txt.

It gives me the option to login to the management mode, but I can't find the management mode password. Can anyone offer help to get over this roadblock?

I honestly have never heard of erac being slapped into an image or applliance for a vm

it does create databases and mirrors alike, as well as trusted connections.

Is there no way to setup through a msi or anything similar ?

I may be out of my league as vm stuff is not my forte, maybe standby for staff or moderator/staff.

I've set up erac on a server before (pre v6) but when I saw that v6 had the option to deploy as a virtual appliance I figured I would give it a go. Hopefully the staff/moderator will have some options to try as it would be really neat to be able to have erac deployed on a lightweight linux distro (centOS) instead of having to use another windows license.

Well, still not able to get this working correctly. Any staff members have suggestions or new things to try to get this working?

Edited by theodolus

Just got off a chat with an ESET tech and they told me that they know about the parse issues and that anyone deploying the V6 ERA products should wait for Q1 2015.

The tech also said that "All v6 products are currently at a soft release, technically a public beta". ("re: David H" from ESET)

Why not take it off then and put it in a beta area???

A bump for curiosity of a moderator's troubleshooting steps.

Ha, don't laugh at me. I always search for the easiest explanation on any distribution or install etc.

Hello theodolus,

The management password is the password specified in Step 6 of the Virtual Appliance deployment process described in Chapter 3.3 of the ERA v6 manual. Step 7 has a screenshot with the password box highlighted. Please ensure this password is configured, and try the deployment again.

Thank you,
ChadH

• 2 weeks later...

I have been able to get the OVA running out of  the box on esxi 5.5 with updates

@eBriggs care to share any tips on how you got it working and anything special you needed to do, as well as any items you perhaps didn't fill out in the configuration step? (i.e. Windows Domain/DNS)

I'm know that my previous post is still pending moderation however I was able to connect remotely (via SSH) and get logged in. Here are a couple of issues I've found.

1. Passwords: I had a randomly generated password that included a '%' in it. I don't think the console management likes that character in the password. I've since redeployed using a password with both '*' and '@' and that password is working.

2. Windows Domain: If you attempt to setup the Windows Domain configuration the way it is generating the smb.conf and then trying to join the ERAS to the domain is at least incorrect for our environment. When I manually change the smb.conf file to use the <DOMAIN> in the 'Workgroup' (as it is doing) and <domain.com> in the 'realm', then the 'net join' command worked just fine. The automated smb.conf setup puts <DOMAIN> in both the 'Workgroup' and 'realm' parameters which does not work for our environment.

So the latest issue I see in the configuration setup is now with the ODBC driver:

Error: ODBC connector compatibility check failed. Please install connector with 64bit wide SQLLEN/SQLULEN types.

Honestly feel likes it's pretty poor to release a new version, then come off and say that it's really just a public beta. I had high hopes for what I saw in ESET, as we just came from TrendMicro. This sort of shoddy work is not becoming of a software company that is serious about their products. I don't even understand what the point of them putting out the OVF appliance version if essentially it's unsupported and doesn't even work.

Edited by timnolte-spi

• ESET Moderators

Hello,

we retested the deployment and it worked without any issues.

Can you please check if the .ova file hasn't been corrupted?

SHA1 for ERA_Server.ova should be "05c7b40c65580bee81c2a092a8bd355b02d14759" and also signature verification should not fail.

If you try to re-deploy it does it work or this ends with the same error?

can you please send me the appliance-configuration-log.txt via private message?

We will check it with Devs.

We are sorry for the late answer, we will monitor this topic on a daily basis from now on in order to help you to resolve the issues in a timely manner.

Thank you for your patience and cooperation.

P.R.

Hello Peter, I'm having the same problem.  When I start the appliance for the first time, it fails.  Looking at the error message, it fails when trying to join the domain.  If I leave all the domain stuff blank, the appliance finishes its install and becomes available for use (but then I can't use domain authentication).  I'm running a Windows 2012 R2 AD Domain on vSphere 5.5.

Kind Regards,

Brett

• Administrators

When deploying the appliance, use only alphanumeric passwords for now. There's an issue with special characters which will be fixed in the next build.

• ESET Moderators
Hello,

appliances works on ESXi 5 and higher.

To start the deployment connect to vCenter Server (not to ESXi) and select File -> Deploy OVF Template.

In case of any issues try to deploy VM just the password as seen on the attached screenshot (setting Properties -> Application -> Password ->  VM, database and server (webconsole) password ,just to rule out issues with the VM itself.

Please let us know how it went.

Thank you.

P.R.

post-15-0-85868900-1421330242_thumb.png

Hello Peter,

As long as I don't enter any domain credentials in the setup, it will successfully finish the installation and become available for use.  When I attempt to add domain credentials with an alpha-numeric password, it does not work and fails with the log I sent to you in PM.

Kind Regards,

Brett

I'm able to get it to install on ESXi 4.5 as long as I don't specify domain credentials and only provide an alpha-numeric password. That gets it up and running at least. Is there a timeline on when an updated version that fixes the domain joining and password symbols might be coming around? I want to update to the newest version and I would definitely prefer to use the virtual appliance for simplicity (and licensing), but I'd like to be able to use domain accounts and stronger passwords...

Hi,

I've been having trouble as well. Trying to deploy on VMWare ESXi 5.5 and I do not have the additional options after "Name and Location" on the set-up procedure. None of the following options show up on the sidebar:

- Name and Location

- Host/Cluster

- Resource Pool

- Network Mapping

- Properties

Storage and Disk Format show up, but without Properties, I cannot specify a hostname or a password. The VM boots up with a blank screen saying press <ENTER> to Enter Management mode. A password prompt pops up and nothing works. I tried a blank password or even 'password' but that did not work.

Edited by bbraunstein

• ESET Moderators

Hello,

the fix for alphanumerical password will be available in next released version.

This restriction applies for the deploy only, you may alter the password later via passwd for CentOS and than in ERA in Admin part.

Connection to the domain should work already, but requires correct configuration, however we had to do a small fix for issues reported by Timnolte-spi, thank you for letting us know about the issue.

@bbraunstein: This issue is probably caused by connecting directly to the ESXi.

You have to connect via vSphere client to vCenter server and to the deployment from here following instructions from VMWare.

Thank you.

P.R.