Re-Manage Endpoint Computer

Go to solution Solved by Marcos,

Windows 10 Pro computer using Management Agent 10.0.116.0 and Endpoint Security 10.1.2046.0.  Had another computer that crashed.  Was attempting to remove license from dead/dying computer and assign license to new computer and stop managing the retired computer. 

Apparently I made a mistake set up task on new computer to "Stop managing," and although in the management portal (ESET protect 10.0x), I can see that the task for "Stop managing" is listed as "running," I am fairly certain that the endpoint computer is no longer being managed and the task has already successfully run, thus removing management from the computer. 

Ideally, I'd like to add this device back to managing in the portal.  Is the best procedure just to uninstall everything locally and start over with a new installation of the Management Agent and Endpoint Security?  Or will the computer "know" it isn't supposed to be managed even after reinstall?

• Administrators
  • Solution
13 hours ago, Carl Seiler said:

I can see that the task for "Stop managing" is listed as "running," I am fairly certain that the endpoint computer is no longer being managed and the task has already successfully run, thus removing management from the computer.

The execution status may be inaccurate since the agent no longer connects and reports the status to the server as stated also here: https://help.eset.com/protect_admin/10.1/en-US/client_tasks_stop_managing_uninstall.html

All tasks running on the Agent will be abandoned. The Running, Finished or Failed execution status of this task may not be displayed accurately in ESET PROTECT Web Console depending on replication.

Ideally, I'd like to add this device back to managing in the portal.  Is the best procedure just to uninstall everything locally and start over with a new installation of the Management Agent and Endpoint Security?  Or will the computer "know" it isn't supposed to be managed even after reinstall?

It's enough to re-deploy the management agent. The machine will then re-appear in the ESET PROTECT console.

All tasks running on the Agent will be abandoned. The Running, Finished or Failed execution status of this task may not be displayed accurately in ESET PROTECT Web Console depending on replication.

I figured that must be the case.

It's enough to re-deploy the management agent. The machine will then re-appear in the ESET PROTECT console.

Thanks.  Will re-deploy management agent, and if you don't see me back on this thread, it worked!  :)

6 hours ago, Marcos said:

The execution status may be inaccurate since the agent no longer connects and reports the status to the server as stated also here: https://help.eset.com/protect_admin/10.1/en-US/client_tasks_stop_managing_uninstall.html

All tasks running on the Agent will be abandoned. The Running, Finished or Failed execution status of this task may not be displayed accurately in ESET PROTECT Web Console depending on replication.

Re-deploying the management agent made it show up in the list of computers again.  Now I have two computers showing with the same ID in the "Computer Name" column.  How do I get rid of the extra one?

@Marcos, see how I now have two of the same computer.  The old one is the one I accidentally removed from management, still showing up as red.  The other one with the same name is now showing back up as I have re-deployed the management software.  How do I remove the duplicate?

ESETScreenshot 2023-08-28 103949.png

4 hours ago, Marcos said:

You should be able to remove it by clicking the machine and selecting Manage -> Remove -> Remove device.

Thanks.  I was a little afraid to do that, because I didn't want it to remove both of them since they have the same name.  I have now done so and everything looks good now.  Thanks again for your response.