Smart Security Firewall issue on Windows 8 Pro 64

Smart Security running on HP EliteBook 8460p with Windows 8 Pro 64

It is supposed on install SS should stop MS Firewall but it seems it is not the case.
Some applications still trigger "Windows Security Alert" saying "Windows Firewall has blocked some features of this app" and invites me to let the app to communicate on Private and/or Public networks (see attached pic). is this normal??

My problem;

While my wireless connection is seen as a private network and I get Internet connection w/o problem all the other networks

(1 Ethernet NIC and 2 VMware virtual NICs) are considered "Unidentified Networks" with "Limited conectivity".

(the trick of right clicking "Unidentified Network" to enable sharing capabilities on it does not work, (right clicking on this case does not bring any option).

Then there's no way to convince Windows 8 that those networks are in fact "Private" networks with full rights.

Even when I stop SS Firewall and MS Firewall is already stoped those Interfaces are blocked by some security level.

If i.e. I externally ping the Ethernet interface I'm able to see the ping packet is read by the OS (Interface packet counters and Wireshark say so) but the answer to the ping is never sent...

I can believe I cannot get a simple ethernet conection working....

Is anyone here able to tell me how to get these humble local net interfaces working???

Thanks

post-979-0-00921700-1371134110_thumb.png

Edited by patpat

additional info

if I go to MS "Windows Firewall with Advanced Security" dialog

even when it says "This settings are being managed by vendor app ESET Smart Security"
the firewall presents the "Domain Profile", "Private Profile"  and "Public Profile" working

"Windows Firewal is ON"

the funny part is that the option

"turning windows firewall on or off" is not responsive, presumibly trapped by ESET !

then; any idea?

confirmed;

Eset Smart Security is not able to stop Microsoft Firewall.

I was only able to regain control of my Local interfaces by adding an
"Inbound Rule" to Microsoft Firewall allowing local interfaces...

ESET, please fix this, I do not want to run 2 Firewalls as I'm forced to do now if I want to keep my ESS

additional info, the rule previously added vanishes after reboot.

then really using my PC with ESS Firewall is a nightmare...

guau...

I have opened a ticket with this issue, 2 days ago w/o answer...

here no answer either...

is anyone supporting ESET these days????

Guest Guest

I've just removed ESS using the ESET remove tool
Now I have no acces to ANY Network interface, no even after reinstalling the drivers..
I'm really pissed... ESS is not compatible with Windows 8; its MS integration is really a nightmare !
Now I'm facing the reinstall of a terabyte PC...

• Administrators

Perhaps the following warning applies to WIndows 8 under certain circumstances, too:

Warning:
If you are using the ESET Uninstaller tool to remove ESET Mail Security for Microsoft Exchange Server from Server 2008, you will be required to reinstall your network card drivers.

Personally I haven't had a chance to try it on Windows 8 so if somebody has some experience with this, feel free to share. In the mean time, try reinstalling your network card drivers.

Hello  patpat

Have used Eset on Windows 8 the day Windows 8 were released. And so far version 6.0.316.1 has worked fine. Regarding uninstalling Eset using eset uninstaller tool, then I have not see any issues. (have used it a couple of times, out of curiosity). And I can understand from the post from Wilders that a restore to a previous restore point, before your problems occured, did not helped either. Please this is not meant as an insult, but if you are using a terabyte PC (or any other size of pc), then in the future you will have great benefit of installing a drive image backup software. This time was Eset apparently the villain?, but what about the next time you run into software issues?

Regards, Janus

Edited by Janus

Let's stay focused.
I'm talking about Windows 8 Pro and ESS 6 (last available version).
I was never able to make them work from a firewall point of view. Never.

I'm a long time ESET user, I loved ESS til today.
This is not about demonizing a product I used to love; it is just about ESS not being compatible with Windows 8. Period.

Any help on how to avoid reinstalling the whole system appreciated.

BTW I reinstalled all the networks drivers w/o any difference

NO network; MS Firewall refuses to load giving errors
Event Id 5027 and 5028: "The Windows Firewall Service was unable to retrieve the security policy from the local storage. The service will continue enforcing the current policy. Error Code: 2147942413"

Reinstalling EVERYTHING now... very mad.

PS: Please ESET say your ESS 6 is not compatible with Windows 8 64.
if you guys do not say so I'll start a blog on this.

• Administrators

Windows Firewall is not supposed to be disabled during installation of ESET Smart Security. However, if you open "Windows Firewall with advanced settings", you should see the message "These settings are being managed by vendor application ESET Smart Security". In order to determine whether prompting for an action by Windows Firewall is a bug or not, please provide step-by-step instructions how to reproduce it on our end.

If you change the ESS firewall integration to "Personal firewall is completely inactive", it will have no effect on the system at all. Also try to change the integration type to "Only scan application protocols" which should disable only the firewall part.

Guest Guest

If MS firewal is not meant to be disabled could you please tell us why do we have 2 firewalls working simultaneously???

Why does ESET say that controls MS Firewall when really it is not true???

if you want to reproduce the funny MS firewall dialog box just install the client for voipbuter and you'll see; that application is just one of many examples that trigger the mentioned MS firewall dialog box

The only connection working was the wireless interface, the rest of the interfaces were only working after adding a rule to the MS Firewal! That's 100% nuts. plus that rule is not persistent after reboot.

does "Personal firewall is completely inactive" give the control back to MF Firewall??? are you reading that with NSS you cannot control MS Firewall???

>"Only scan application protocols" which should disable only the firewall part.
This is not a valid answer; you guys have to do the testing no the customers reinstalling systems.

Today I consider NSS a dangerous application for Windows 8 users; and you guys have to fix it.

Hello  patpat

Have used Eset on Windows 8 the day Windows 8 were released. And so far version 6.0.316.1 has worked fine. Regarding uninstalling Eset using eset uninstaller tool, then I have not see any issues. (have used it a couple of times, out of curiosity). And I can understand from the post from Wilders that a restore to a previous restore point, before your problems occured, did not helped either. Please this is not meant as an insult, but if you are using a terabyte PC (or any other size of pc), then in the future you will have great benefit of installing a drive image backup software. This time was Eset apparently the villain?, but what about the next time you run into software issues?

Regards, Janus

Let's stay focused.

I'm talking about Windows 8 Pro and ESS 6 (last available version).

I was never able to make them work from a firewall point of view. Never.

I'm a long time ESET user, I loved ESS til today.

This is not about demonizing a product I used to love; it is just about ESS not being compatible with Windows 8. Period.

Any help on how to avoid reinstalling the whole system appreciated.

Maybe a bit off topic there Janus,but you're right, backup... backup is so essential. Many use lots of money on Avs but backup software noooooo

• 5 months later...

no connection to network computers (no problem with the web or email straight to the router) (windows 8 - outlook 2007 / firefox)

but the local network over ethernet.....ER

"The specified network provider name is invalid" error message.

and the same message as others,.... from windows firewall "eset is managing...." before uninstall, after uninstall, after reinstall.

I guess the "not very important" leftovers are leaving windows firewall hanging on eset leftovers.

any help?

I guess a refund and return to TREND MICRO may be the only solution

this forum is for network admin types

not much help for a regular user.

I never needed support with TREND MICRO and never got infected either.