ESET Endpoint Security for Android and Lollipop

It would appear that the Nexus 5 phones we use here (with ESET Security for Android installed) will be updated to Android version 5 0 (Lollipop) in the next few weeks.

Has Endpoint Security for Android been tested with Lollipop yet?

• ESET Moderators

Hi beancounter,

We are currently doing tests with the latest developer preview of Android 5.0 Lollipop, but we can only declare compatibility once the final version is released on November 3 and we test the app on this version.

However, as there were not many changes to the APIs we rely on, we do not expect any major complications.

• 1 month later...

I cleared the data and went through the setup process again. It seems to be happy for now. I daresay I will find out in a month's time if the problem was some sort of glitch caused by the phone being updated to Lollipop or if the signature database is not being updated.

The windows boxes in the office can all report the date and version number of the signature database and I have always seen the inability of the Android version to do the same as a major weakness. Unfortunately ESET has never acknowledged my repeated suggestion that the weakness should be fixed.

Edited by beancounter

• 2 weeks later...

All my business licences are up for renewal at the end of this month so the question is: Does Endpoint Security for Android (1.2.200.129) have an issue updating its signature database while running in the Lollipop environment and, if so, will the problem be fixed before I do the licence renewal thing?

• ESET Moderators

I am trying to get more official confirmation for you, but I am unaware of the specific limitation you mentioned with Lollipop. 

• ESET Moderators

No beancounter, I apologize that I got the two threads crossed (Home and Business). The information that I have shows that EESA (for business) version 2.0.93.0 (compatible with new version 6 business products) is compatible with Lollipop and that your issue is not a Known Issue

However, if you're using version 1.2.200.129 or earlier, I am not 100% certain about the compatibility. 

Thanks for your response. Residing in Australia 1.2.200.129 is the latest version available to me. There is a whole world outside the US and it would be appreciated if you can advise when version 2.x will be available to the rest of us 

• ESET Moderators

Noted beancounter. We will post in the relevant thread(s) when products are available outside of North America. For EESA, https://forum.eset.com/forum/37-eset-products-for-mobile-devices/ as well as your local ESET web site will be updated (in your case hxxp://www.eset.com/au/), and other communication channels (social media, PR announcements etc.). 

Regarding when version 2.x will be available, the current, official word is that all the new business products "will roll out globally in the first quarter of 2015."

Yesterday, after a lengthy email exchange with the local distributor and a (at times quite terse) phone conversation, the source of the issue was identified. I must say that I am totally underwhelmed by the fact that the issue went undetected for more than 2 years and my confidence in ESET has been severely shaken.

I briefly considered switching to another security product family. However, since there are only 2 days left in the Christmas break, there is currently not enough time to evaluate other products or search through the email archives to identify which ESET representatives offered the really poor advice that led to this bad experience.

Incidentally the support forum link on the Australian ESET site still points to the Wilders forum.