Great job NOD32!

Super_Spartan

Not only is its HTTP Scanning good in the sense it rarely if ever gets false positives compared to other solutions I've tried,

today I visited a site that has a browser backup profile tool. while the site does offer 2 versions of the tool, one with sponsored crapware and the other clean, by just visint the site you get many viruses silently thrown at you but NOD32 blocked them all :

Site: DO NOT VISIT IT if you are not running NOD32:  xttp://www.hekasoft.it/backup-restore.php

post-1272-0-44219100-1414453656_thumb.png

Yeah the web access protection has always been excellent in ESET's products. And since there is no browser extension or plugin involved it all works independently of what browser you use.

Edited by SweX

Yeah the web access protection has always been excellent in ESET's products. And since there is no browser extension or plugin involved it all works independently of what browser you use.

oh yes, which is even better! Unlike other products which rely on a browser extension and often the extension doesn't work as browsers get updated frequently, this method is just perfect!

oh yes, which is even better! Unlike other products which rely on a browser extension and often the extension doesn't work as browsers get updated frequently, this method is just perfect!

Yeah, and even if the extension or plugin does work, it's usually just developed to be compatible with IE, Firefox, Chrome and Opera "the big 4".

So unless a user happen to use any of these browsers.....some feature in the product won't work because it's not compatible with the browser you want to use.  ;)

Edited by SweX

• Administrators

A big advantage of having web protection not dependent on browsers is that it can also scan malware communication, e.g. if a trojan downloader attempts to download payload.

Edited by Marcos
typo fixed

A big advantage of having web protection not independent on browsers is that it can also scan malware communication, e.g. if a trojan downloader attempts to download payload.

Yeah it really is great in more than one way that's for sure. Lack of browser extensions and plugins is just one advantage  :)

Edited by SweX

Hello MaXimus,

As we wrote you by email, our website doesn't have any viruses, as you can see by your image you can notice:

1. the blocked website is external to hekasoft

2. Nod32 blocked an image (awards.png)

3. The threat is not a virus but a potentially unwanted application

We really appreciated that you contacted us by email to report that issue, and even if, as I told you, is not a virus, we choose to remove all the blocked awards, because we really care about our reputation.

We are a small company, and bad reputation can damage us very much, mostly if is based on wrong things, like your post, you just wrote that our website spread silently viruses and to not visit it, but I think that you should inform better before say that, because as I wrote you, and as a moderator can confirm, your image refer to an external site, to an image (not to a script or something like that), and most of all to a potentially unwanted application and not a virus.

Regards,

Hekasoft

• Former ESET Employees

I would like to say for the record that the fact an image was blocked does not mean it wasn't dangerous. It is quite commonly known that malware can and has been distributed using obfuscated PNG files. I just want to make it clear to those that stumble upon this thread.

Hello MaXimus,

As we wrote you by email, our website doesn't have any viruses, as you can see by your image you can notice:

1. the blocked website is external to hekasoft

2. Nod32 blocked an image (awards.png)

3. The threat is not a virus but a potentially unwanted application

We really appreciated that you contacted us by email to report that issue, and even if, as I told you, is not a virus, we choose to remove all the blocked awards, because we really care about our reputation.

We are a small company, and bad reputation can damage us very much, mostly if is based on wrong things, like your post, you just wrote that our website spread silently viruses and to not visit it, but I think that you should inform better before say that, because as I wrote you, and as a moderator can confirm, your image refer to an external site, to an image (not to a script or something like that), and most of all to a potentially unwanted application and not a virus.

Regards,

Hekasoft

Thank you for responding, unforunately I just saw your e-mail as it went straight to my junk box due to your e-mail's domain probably.

I understand that it wasn't your site that was sending me that image which may or may not be a virus but the fact remains, that I got it when I visited the Hekasoft website which to me personally, I have uninstalled the tool although it was the best backup tool for browsers and other programs :(

Additionally, if you notice in this thread on the Cyberfox forums, even the moderators there flagged the thread of Hekasoft as [DO NOT USE] so you might wanna post a message there and fix whatever it is on your website that's causing this as many users have complained as well.

Thank god I had NOD32 or else I might have been infected.

@MaXimus

Yes the files blocked aren't malicious. It is a PUA detection. (You can see this, because the message only shows a orange triangle [and not a red one] and you can test it by temporarily disabling PUA detection.

@Hekasoft

Yes it is not on your own site where these files are hosted, but it's your site that initiates the download.

post-3952-0-66837700-1414580505_thumb.png

But you're are generally downloading many files which aren't from your own domain (BTW that is even not good for a fast loading of the web page):

post-3952-0-56268700-1414580573_thumb.png

Just BTW: The topic title remembered me at this: Operation Windigo: “Good job, ESET!” says malware author :D

@MaXimus

we have removed all awards blocked from Eset, and thanks for sharing that post, I will write them :)

For the mail problems, unfortunately we are all volunteers and maybe our website is hosted on same server as a spam website, we will check to solve that problem.

@rugk

Thnk your for the suggestion, we are thinking to remove all the awards :)

@Hekasoft

If you mean this ironic, I can tell you that you could also upload the pictures to your own server (if it's allowed).

Or you use an asynchronous loading (if you're not actually doing this), so that at least the main parts of the website load faster.

No it was not ironic, we are really think to remove them, at the beginning we accept all awards that we received and put them on our pages, to show that our softwares get appreciation, but now we are only getting problems with that link (most of the websites have low reputation), and I start thinking that show awards is really not important, and that an award don't mean that a software is really good, in these years we changed our website often to make it better for our users, and we accept and follow any suggestion.

That's a good attitude in my view.

As you see some of them even were sites containing PUA...

And to distance yourself from these sites is IMO a good thing. :)

So you're reputation can get better!

Maybe I will have a look what software you offer there.

That's a good attitude in my view.

As you see some of them even were sites containing PUA...

And to distance yourself from these sites is IMO a good thing. :)

So you're reputation can get better!

Maybe I will have a look what software you offer there.

The software is amazing and has features not fine in any other tool Usually, you have to download a different profile backup tool for every browser. Their tool can backup any browser, even new browsers like Pale Moon and Cyberfox (with the proper mod), Google Chrome, Firefox, Opera, even uTorrent and Skype!

I have successfully backup and restored Cyberfox with no issues.

@Hekasoft:

2 small suggestions please

1) Please release a portable version as well rather than an installable one, much easier that way. I did copy the program files of Hekasoft manually and uninstalled Hekasoft Backup then tried to run the EXE from there, it worked, but with a small warning at first saying that English Language is not found or something, then I clicked ok and it worked fine. But a proper portable version would really be appreciated. I've even pay for your tool to be honest because it's that good.

2) Right now, I use a custom mod that allows the backup/restoration of Cyberfox browser. Can you please add it by default so its detected without any mod as you already have every browser in the planet listed might as well include this amazing new browser.

Thank you

===========================================================================

Back to our topic, just tried to download the demo of Nero Platinum Suite 2015 and NOD32 stopped it! Great job! I contacted Nero telling them it's a shame that I as a customer paying every year for upgrades, now they removed their FTP server downloads and ar relying on some shady website that is full of tracking and crapware to hose their files! how unprofessional from NERO! again! Great JOB ESET! No other AV I have used blocked such things!

post-1272-0-02546300-1414596047_thumb.png

Ok, from which website you download it? Really from the official website?

Not - by change - from softonic? ;)

@rugk

Thank you very much, we will try to get a better reputation

@MaXimus

1. We have received many request for a portable version, we will work on it but actually I didn't know when we will release it

2. We didn't know about Cyberfox before, but we will add it in the next Backup & Restore update.

To back in topic, anyway I think that Eset PUA database is very useful and can save users that click on everything and install software without know what they do (very often i found people that have many browser toolbars or other software installed and they didn't know) and with PUA detection I think that this problem will be solved, or at least reduced. Actually we are trying the trial version of Eset Smart Security (installed to find the remove all the blocked awards) and I have to say that is really good, the Antivirus is good, but I really love the firewall, one of the best I ever tried.

@Hekasoft

Great. I can only agree to you. :D

I'm quite sure you mean the interactive firewall mode in ESS.

Some information about ESET you can find here and in the technology part.

PS: Business versions you can find here. They are a bit different, but you can test them too.

Edited by rugk

Ok, from which website you download it? Really from the official website?

Not - by change - from softonic? ;)

try it, go to www.nero.com

enter your email to download the demo, and see the virus

@rugk

Thank you very much, we will try to get a better reputation

@MaXimus

1. We have received many request for a portable version, we will work on it but actually I didn't know when we will release it

2. We didn't know about Cyberfox before, but we will add it in the next Backup & Restore update.

To back in topic, anyway I think that Eset PUA database is very useful and can save users that click on everything and install software without know what they do (very often i found people that have many browser toolbars or other software installed and they didn't know) and with PUA detection I think that this problem will be solved, or at least reduced. Actually we are trying the trial version of Eset Smart Security (installed to find the remove all the blocked awards) and I have to say that is really good, the Antivirus is good, but I really love the firewall, one of the best I ever tried.

Thank you so much! That would be great!

Also, glad this thread turned out to be useful and introduced you to the goodness of ESET.

I have a license for every AV you can imagine and have tested them all extensively, yet, ESET is the only one that gave me:

1) no system quirks, as in, all my other software work fine with it without addind exceptions like my VPN software, etc, which was flagged as dangerous by other AVs

2) no system slow down

3) 0 false positives (at least in my exprience)

4) excellent detection rates, never got a virus EVER while using NOD32 since 10 years ++

speaking of PUPs, just for an eample, enable PUP detection in the advanced settings / Antivirus, then try to install uTorrent, you will notice that the options to install crapware are greatly reduced or removed altogether, it was really engineered and programmed so well.

Again is a PUA and not a virus.

If you want to know more look here: hxxp://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN2629

Maybe I will test it later.

Technically, you're right, it's not a virus, but the effect is similar to a virus.

have you ever repaired a PC that came bombarded with PUPs like BAIDU PC Faster, SpeedUpMyPC, My PC Backup? heck, the amount of popups and difficulty in removing them is worse than removing a virus (sometimes)

What you have to repair in this case is just to uninstall the programs.

There is a difference between malware and PUA.

Have you ever removed a cryptolocker from a system?